1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Unbelievable! I was Misquoted by T.K. Arnold in Video Store Magazine!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Oct 22, 2001.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    You realize that, because of this, the studios are probably going to stop supporting widescreen releases on DVD.
    But seriously, write a letter to the editor and ask that your remarks be clarified. That should take care of it.
    - Steve

3. David Lambert

I'm doing that right now. Thanks, Steve
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

4. David Lambert

My e-mail to T.K. Arnold; just sending it now:

Quote:

I can't believe that you read my words and twisted them so profoundly. You said about me, plain and simply, that "Unlike many DVD aficionados, Lambert isn’t a widescreen diehard or a surround sound purist".
    How could you read what I sent you and make that mistake? How could you misunderstand these words in my input, which you solicitated on the Home Theater Forum (http://www.hometheaterforum.com
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

David, I don't know if you've had any contact with print journalists before, but I take it you haven't. It is VERY VERY RARE that something that I have had first-hand knowledge of has been correctly represented in a printed article.
    I'd actually go so far as to say that Mr Arnold did a comparatively good job of reporting what you told him, with the OAR thing slightly misrepresented. Good luck in trying to have it corrected.
    /Mike
    ------------------

6. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Your experience is closer to typical than unbelieveable. Sometimes I read a newspaper article or other account of a subject or event that I have a detailed or personal knowledge about. Almost invariably the report is incomplete, inaccurate, something is out of context, etc. I'm sure you've noted that too.
    So, if that happens with lots of things we know about, just imagine all the half-truths and distorted views all of us read every day in the media that we look to for information. Somewhere you can bet there is probably somebody more in-the-know who is reading it and shaking their head in disbelief.
    The old adage is "don't believe everything you read."

7. Thomas Arnold

Thomas Arnold Auditioning

David, David--a thousand pardons if you feel I misrepresented what you said. I am saving the whole OAR vs. MAR argument for something bigger, and later--this was an article on DVD collectors, and I wanted to stress that to you, the programming came first. What I wrote was based on this email you sent me:
    "We don't have a Home Theatre system. We have a 32" stereo TV...and that's
    it. We'll get 5.1 after we get a Widescreen set. We'll get the widescreen
    set when they come down just a hair more in price...perhaps around Tax
    Refund time next spring. Actually, that's not what's important to us.
    What's important to us is collecting our favorite entertainment, so that we
    can do what we want, when we want to."
    I took that at face value--that while 5.1 and widescreen is cool, "that's not what's important to us. What's important to us is collecting our favorite entertainment..."
    I realize the rest of your message stressed how you feel about studios lopping off sides of movies, and I can certainly sympathize with you--but, again, in light of what you wrote in the first paragraph, I took all that to be secondary.
    Here's my suggestion--write us a letter, clarifying your sentiments so that we can publish your viewpoints exactly as you want them represented--no danger of misrepresentation, since it will be in your own words.
    Then let's you and I touch base again soon and come up with something on OAR. This is obviously very important to you and many of your fellow Home Theater Forum posters, and therefore warrants further coverage.
    Let me know what you think. Again, apologies for any misinterpretation on my part.
    By the way, your original email did say "almost 900 DVDs." But you also gave me a list of DVDs you planned on purchasing, and according to my calculation that pushed things up past the 900 mark (assuming "almost" meant within 10 discs of 900).

8. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    All of the people my family and I know who have been quoted in the media have always felt misrepresented, or that their words were taken out of context. Compared to these, and considering what you wrote and what was printed, I don't think it was a terribly gross misintepretation. I definetly think that OAR on your purchases should have been represented as a must rather than just a preference, and that is where there is a big gap between what you wrote, and what was printed.

9. David Lambert

10. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Hey Dave,
    I read the original article and then your comments on it. I think you're justified but don't worry too much [​IMG]. That article was still good about the widescreen thing but I think the focus was such that it's not surprising the OAR thing wasn't zoomed in on.
    Look at it this way, the remarks you made could easily have been placed in that article and left you looking like some kind of insane obsessive, which would have been a far worse misrepresentation. I would say they are better kept for the full OAR article that T K Arnold has planned.
    Equally I'd like to say how impressed I am that Mr. Arnold comes on the board to apologise and explain his position. [​IMG]
    Theo
    ------------------
    My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
    My Novelty Coasters

11. David Tallen

David Tallen Stunt Coordinator

12. Ross Waite

Ross Waite Stunt Coordinator

Without being judgmental or advocating either side, I can understand the frustration felt here.
    That said, I think Mr. Arnold should be commended for clarifying his actions and attempting to set the record straight. He even offered a remedy. Good show.
    I'm looking foward to the OAR article.
    -Ross
    ------------------

13. Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen Stunt Coordinator

14. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Thomas Arnold -
    We do like to collect our favourite movies on DVD, but this cannot be seperated from OAR. IF the DVD has lost 40% of the movie image, has fixed camera shots converted into pansning shots, has dialogue altered or dropped, then that DVD doesn't contain the movie I would liekto own, but something else. You cannot be a true movie collector andnot be a pro-OAR advocate, they are the same thing.
    ------------------
    -- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

15. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

If the movie isn't in OAR not only will I not BUY IT, I won't even WATCH IT. Doesn't matter whether it's on TBS, Showtime, HBO, at a friend's house on DVD or tape, etc. I refuse to take part in the destruction of another person's hard work by idiots who have forgotten that not only is cinema entertainment, but it's also an art form.
    OAR for film is more important than DD, DTS, 480p, or even HD. It IS the film. And if I can't see the director's vision the way it's intended, then I'd much rather enjoy a good book.
    ------------------
    September 11, 2001
    "Those who died will always be remembered.
    Those who killed will never be forgotten.
    We who remain will not let it happen again."

16. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I used to write letters to newspapers and magazines quite often, and found when they were printed they would edit them to the point where I was saying things I didn't mean to say. That's why I basically stopped writing letters; with the internet and sites like this I can better express my opinions anyway, without wondering whether I'll be selected for publication and then have my messages edited. I've never had comments put into magazine or newspaper articles, but I have read several where it's painfully obvious that they quoted just a few words from what might have been several pages of comments. And have you ever been anywhere where they were shooting a TV news story, where you'd see they were shooting 30 minutes of footage and then the final story that gets aired runs under 2 minutes? Ugh.

17. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

David, with all due respect, don't you think you're over reacting a teensy little bit? It sounds to me as if our journalist friend got the gist correct. Each story written has different demands and requirements. But, then, you were there and I was not. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

18. Craig Chatterton

Craig Chatterton Stunt Coordinator

Couldn't resist:

19. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

The article reads like you prefer widescreen but will buy pan and scan if that's all that is available. Now that I have read your original comments that obviously isn't true. If I had only the article to go by that's what I would "get from it" so to speak.

20. David Lambert

Yes, I know that misquotes and misrepresentations happen all the time. I'm not naive (though I may act like it at times), and I've been quoted in print before. Probably a lot more than a nobody like me has a right to be. I had a major part in an article about my videogame collection, which at the time was half the consoles and a third of the games that it is by now. Some of what that guy published about my quotes were a tiny bit off, but nothing to get upset about. Nothing that made it sound like I support something I don't.
    On the other hand, the other choice is to give up, like the 2nd quoted person has. Not put your voice out there, not to try. I'd rather try, and get it screwed up, than not try at all.
    At least the OAR vs MAR issue is on the table. I hope that T.K. uses this opportunity to put together a great article on the subject. I plan to participate, but only through quotes published here on HTF. Then, nothing can be taken and misquoted...it will all be a matter of public record.
    If for some reason Ron and/or Parker have a problem with that and don't allow it, then T.K. will have to go a way to convince me that this won't happen again to get me to send input via private mail. It would be different if he'd at least let me know that the article was being published, and told me when/where to look. If I hadn't stumbled across it, I would never ever have known it was there, and it would be cycled through and pulled from the website, with no way for me to correct anything. So, T.K., if you're reading this, please let me know in advance the next time you publish something you plan to quote me on.
    I'm not asking for creative control or anything; I am not "requiring" that I "approve" the article before it goes out. Just give me a heads-up as to where/when I can find it after it's out. That's not too hard to do, is it?
    I'm sorry if I got a bit hot last night and this morning, but it appears that most of you understand why. Thanks.
    I was worried, too, that I might come off sounding like a hypocrite where OAR support is concerned, especially to all of you, my HTF friends. GIVE ME OAR OR GIVE ME NOTHING! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!