Unbearable Lightness of Being: CC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Voon Jiet, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Voon Jiet

Voon Jiet Stunt Coordinator

Voon
    I am being offered a reasonable price for Criterion's The Unbearable Lightness of Being and was wondering if this is worth a purchase. The DVD, as I understand, is OOP but I have never seen the film and was wondering if I should get it.
    Any comments on the film itself?
    Another question I have is the possibility of a re-issue of this title. Is that any chance a major studio will re-relase this title on DVD?
    Also, is the commentary on the DVD any good? I guess a solid commentary on the movie might actually make this purchase worthwhile.
    I would greatly appreciate any comments on the DVD and/or the film guys. Thanks in advance! [​IMG]
    My paltry DVD Collection

2. Michael Dehaven

Michael Dehaven Stunt Coordinator

3. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

This is a fantastic film from Philip Kaufman (co-writer of Raiders of the Lost Arc & director of The Right Stuff)

This is a rare breed of film, a European art film (i.e. literate, intelligent, lost of nudity) but directed by an entertaining director, Daniel Day-Lewis, Juliette Binoche, Stellan Skarsgard & Lena Olin are all excellent.

Disc is 16:9 & the commentary is great, it includes not only Philip Kaufman, Lena Olin, Jean-Claude Carriere but also editor/sound designer Walter Murch (Godfather & Apocalypse Now)

It's an epic love story set during the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia, and if love stories are not your thing that makes two of us but Philip Kaufman is such a great director that I do like this one.

4. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I didn't expect to like it, but I was fairly impressed by Unbearable. It's a nice though unspectacular DVD, but given the collectibility of OOP Criterions, if you can get it for a reasonable price, I'd say go for it. Here's a link to my full review:
    http://www.dvdmg.com/unbearablelightnessofbeing.shtml

5. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

The Unbearable Lightness of Being is one of the best DVD I own. It is a GREAT movie, a fantastic transfer -- Criterion at their absolute best.
    The movie itself is a rare gem -- a successful and faithful adaptation fo a great book.
    I don't know how to recommend it any more strongly.
    Ted

6. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

It's a great film - the picture and sound quality is amazing for a film of its age (though it's not that old). It's a type of film you sit back and absorb. Daniel Day Lewis, Juliette Binoche and Lena Olin are great actors/actresses, and they play the role really well.

Plus, it's a Criterion - it doesn't look like this film will be released by any other studio for the time being.

7. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

It's worth it on its own, and considering it's a CC OOP disc, it's even more valuable. Some people find this movie too long, or find that it drags, but I find it to be an intimate and epic tale of love set amidst political turmoil that hits a lot of resounding and profound chords about humanity in a very understated and mature way.
    Criterion took pretty good care of this one too. Pick it up if you can... i saw this one at a B&M a couple times and didn't pick it up. [​IMG]
    Joseph

8. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

9. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Thanks very much, Ted. If I would've taken the previous posters' comments at face value, I'd have never even looked for this title.

This movie will make an impression on you. It has a lasting effect.

10. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

I just saw this movie recently and thought it was very good (though very sad). Definately recommended. What I find funny is that it was only rated PG in Canada, even though there is enouge sex & nudity for ten films.

11. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    It seems to me MGM is to reissue this down the road. I don't know where I read this, I think maybe The Digital Bits. I have the Laser, which hasnt rotted, so I will wait for the reissued DVD. While it obviously won't have the commentary track, maybe it will have some trailers or some other odds and ends.

12. Voon Jiet

Voon Jiet Stunt Coordinator

Voon
    Thanks a lot guys!
    I have made up my mind and decided to pick up this Criterion DVD. Re-issue or not, at least it will have the commentary track and more importantly, picture and sound quality is good for a 10+ year old film.
    Thanks again for all the comments and advice - it makes parting with that bit of cash for a Criterion a lot easier to bear [​IMG]
    PS: Thankfully I have a HMV voucher for my next purchse (Third Man: CC) which translates into great savings! [​IMG]
    PS: (Colin) I always read your reviews (and also Michael since he joined the team at DVD-MG) before buying any DVD. Great website and keep up the good work!