unaired pilots

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Chris Wall, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Chris Wall

Chris Wall Agent

I was wondering if any of these unaired pilots would be included in future releases:
    Married With Children unaired pilot with a diffrent Kelly and Bud
    All in The Family; I've heard one unaired pilot is lost, but another still exists with a different Mike and Gloria

I heard Happy days taoed a pilot other than the Love American style one which was All The way episode one with a diffrent Joanie and Ralph and Fonzie actually in the opening credits.

Didn't Cheers tape a pilot with Fred dryer and Julia Duffy and Cosby Show tape a couple pilots that ABC and NBC rejected?

I realize in some cases the unaired pilot may have been done by a different studio and rights issues may be involved but the Three's Compamny people were able to get the first pilot rights so it is possible.

2. john mcfadden

john mcfadden Stunt Coordinator

Only one i have is the unaired pilot of Smallville with a different actress as Clarks mother . [​IMG]

3. Nick_Feduccia

I wish they would put the unaired pilot of All in the Family on one of the sets. Its technically not "unaired". All in the Family first debuted on TV Land, they showed that alternate pilot, and, to my knowledge, it hasn't been aired since. Unfortunately, I watched it, but didn't tape it. That pilot would such a great addition to the sets.

4. Robert Cruz

Robert Cruz Stunt Coordinator

I have the "Married...With Children" unaired pilot. The kids on the show (Hunter Carson and Tina Caspary) were rather crappy on the pilot, and it was definitely a smart move to bring in David Faustino and Christina Applegate to play as Bud and Kelly Bundy. The episode length is 23:17 (it doesn't have the end credits...including the end credits, it should be around 23:42). Aside from the different kids, the only other difference I noticed was some extra dialog between Al and Luke. It would be nice if it was released on one of the MWC DVDs, but I guess Sony still has some more random and pointless clips to use from the already-released reunion special. [​IMG]

5. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

Both AITF unaired pilots exist. Don't believe that lost BS. That came from the Museum of TV, who's idea of looking for stuff is to sit there and have everything dropped in their laps. The first pilot exists in the UCLA archive where it's been all along.

6. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

I don't have the "Full House" first-season DVD set, but didn't I read (here, or at TSoD) that it included the Saget-less first pilot, almost identical to the eventual one with the exception of the one actor?

7. JeffWld

JeffWld Stunt Coordinator

The "Full House" unaired pilot has an actor named John Posey playing the Saget role.

8. Robert Cruz

Robert Cruz Stunt Coordinator

Also, the Full House unaired pilot is over 2 minutes longer (26:56 in length, while the pilot that made it was 24:44). Although John Posey had a good amount of charisma while doing the pilot, Bob Saget was much more fitting for the role, and Saget did pull it off better.

9. Dale_

Dale_ Agent

Hopefully, when all the legalities are worked out and the Batman live-action show gets to DVD, they'll include the 8-minute Batgirl testfilm they made to sell the sponsors on the idea of the new character, and maybe Lyle Waggoner's test footage as Batman/Bruce Wayne as well!

10. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Let's also add to the list the unaired alternate version of the second "Star Trek" pilot, "Where No Man Has Gone Before", which has a different opening narration and title sequence, a four-act structure similar to the old "Mission: Impossible" series (each of the acts said on screen "Star Trek - Act I" and so forth), a different end credits sequence with music never heard on the original series, and some additional footage, most importantly of which is Kirk saying (more like foretelling) to Spock about his half-human background, "You may learn to enjoy it some day." Video Rarities had issued that one on VHS around 1989 and it still turns up on eBay from time to time. Paramount Home Video should jump on this and get it issued on DVD in an official capacity.

While I'm thinking about it, the original pilot to the 1988-92 "Superboy" series was also unaired, as it had additional footage included in the episode of Lana Lang reminiscing about Superboy. An edited version of this pilot later aired during the series' first season, but the original unedited version remains unaired. Perhaps it will be included in the DVD sets when they do come out.

And how about the 90-minute version of the live-action "Justice League" pilot? I remember reading that an edited version of the pilot was shown on TV around 1997, but the original 90-minute version was never shown on TV. Clarification, please?

11. Dale_

Dale_ Agent

How about some unsold pilots, pilots of shows that never made it onto TV? Such as:

The Witches of Eastwick: An attempt to make a TV show out of the hit movie, starring Catherine Hicks, Ally Walker, and Julia Campbell

Lookwell: Adam West as a has-been actor still living out his most famous TV role, that of a hard-nosed police detective, and somehow managing to actually help the police with his bumbling

The Ghost Writer: Anthony Perkins as a macabre writer of horror novels, a widower with an equally-ghoulish young son, who marries a straight-laced widow with a young daughter (kind of The Addams Family meets The Brady Bunch)

Tag Team: Rowdy Roddy Piper and future governor Jesse The Body Ventura as professional wrestlers who get unjustly fired from the wrestling federation and become cops

12. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Hopefully, the L.A. Confidential unaired pilot will show as an extra for the L.A. Confidential SE DVD. Then it might be nice to see the unaired Lost In Space pilot whenever New Line decides to do a new DVD of the movie. I would buy new SEs of both movies if they include the recent unaired pilots that didn't get picked up for a TV series. Are you listening, Warner?

I think production teams should puush more for two hour TV pilots instead of one hour because that means it would be easy to have it come out in the direct-to-DVD market if a network doesn't pick up a show. It might not be bad to se NYPD 2069 on DVD (I've watched. It is better than the lukewarm Blind Justice). I mean what about the unaired pilot for the US remake of Ultraviolet?!

13. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Second Unit

Chip

I don't think it aired, it just made its way around comic conventions. If it aired, I'm sure I would have seen it.

According to comics writer Mark Waid, "that's 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back."

So, it's probably best that it never sees the light of day.

14. Dale_

Dale_ Agent

I saw that Justice League pilot. David Ogden Stiers as J'Onn J'Onzz?? I guess they don't have Jenny Craig on Mars (or would that be J'Eni K'Raig?)

15. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny

It aired over in Europe

16. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Yes. It certainly aired in the UK in the late '90s: I have the off-air PAL VHS tape from Sky Movies to prove it. It is the supposedly "longer" version (though as it was unaired in the US, who knows if there was really a "shortened" one anyway).

17. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I would love for them to release the unaired pilots of "Global Frequency" and "Aquaman". Although, "Aquaman" was released to view on itunes.

Also, the original unaired pilot of "Birds of Prey" was included with its dvd release.

18. FrankPitt

FrankPitt Stunt Coordinator

Frank
    I really wish the original 'Buffy the Vampire' pilot had been included in the DVD release. It's only about 20 minutes long, with a different actress playing Willow, but it's fun to watch and would have made a neat bonus feature.

And I'd love to see the WB's unaired 2004 'Dark Shadows' pilot!

19. Mike*SC

Mike*SC Second Unit

No. They were in the running for Sam and Diane (Sam would have been an ex-football player), but no pilot was shot with them.

20. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

The 1994 DS pilot was something of a disaster and is basically unfinished, though it has been shown at conventions. The one unaired pilot I'd love to see is the original 1963 pilot to Peyton Place, with most of the cast who made it to the final fall '64 premiere, but with big differences. Some of the actresses have different hairstyles (Barbara Parkins with a sky-high flip hairdo, Dorothy Malone with a short bob, but Mia Farrow was unchanged). Instead of being the doctor he was on the series, the Michael Rossi character (played by Ed Nelson) was the high school prinicpal as he was in the novel. Another big difference was the inclusion of the infamous Cross family from the novel and the movie. The character of Selena Cross, a good girl from a very dysfunctional family from the poor side of town was Allison's best friend in the book and film, and made it into the first pilot, along with her downtrodden mother and brutish stepfather. However, it was deemed that the Cross family was too controversial for 1963 TV audiences (alcoholism, incest, rape), so the family was removed from the show and a new pilot was begun a few months later with new writers.

The studios have literally thousands of unseen pilots from the past five decades, and some even feature future Emmy and Oscar winners. They could make money out of them if they made a boxed set of these hidden TV treasures.