What's new

Unable to rent Mummy Returns in widescreen..anywhere! (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I went to four different video stores today (Hollywood Video, BlockBuster, and two mom & pops) and none of them carried a widescreen version of Mummy Returns - all were full frame. What gives? I'm guessing some kind of deal was made with the video stores and distributor. This is the first time I ever ran into a rental situation such as this.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I won't be harsh about it, but he IS right. Here's a few links for variety:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum15/HTML/031238.html
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
See how much gas money, time, trouble and embarrasment you would have saved yourself had you just bought it in the first place?!
biggrin.gif

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Henrik,
Take a pill, man. Do you always get so rattled by little things? :)
David,
Thanks for the links. Where is the search function? Is this the "Search for topics in the last X days"? I was thinking more of a search engine where a key word is entered and related topics are brought up, but I don't think that's here anymore.
Peter,
After watching it, I'm glad I didn't buy it. Although the scenery and affects were nice, I wasn't too crazy about the movie.
frown.gif

[Edited last by Dave H on October 28, 2001 at 11:47 AM]
[Edited last by Dave H on October 28, 2001 at 12:07 PM]

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I'm guessing some kind of deal was made with the video stores and distributor.
Dave, I'm not sure what others have said in previous discussions about this and I'm not about to use the search engine to find out, but I did rent the widescreen MR at my local mom-and-pop, and have seen it at at least two other mom-and-pop's.
------------------
Gerardo

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Where is the search function? Is this the "Search for topics in the last X days"? I was thinking more of a search engine where a key word is entered and related topics are brought up, but I don't think that's here anymore.

Dave,
On the main page and every initial fourm page there are blue "folder tab" things right at the top of the list of topics. The Search tap is at the lower right side. Right next to Rules/Faq and underneath Links.
-Chad

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Dave H
Do not worry about renting this movie. It is absolutely horrible. I do not see how so many people like this film. The CG is absolutely horrible. Nothing looks the least bit real. If you want to see beautiful CG, rent, hell, BUY The Phantom Menace!!
My $.02!
------------------
God bless!
jeffrey noel
My DVD Collection

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I'll put in my 2¢ worth:
"The Mummy Returns" is AWESOME!
IF you like the first movie, then by all means you ought to like the sequel. It is DEFINATELY more of the same thing, but painted against a larger landscape, if you will. With a few twists and turns along the way. About half of them you can see coming (like the water scene that mocks a certain scene in the first one with a bunch of sand), but there were a few genuine "Oh, My!" sequences in there for the group of friends that me and my wife watched with.
None of us hated it, but then again we all looked forward to it as we all loved the orginal film. Those in the group who watched my copy on DVD, all went out and bought their own copies by the weekend!
Gourgeous-looking. Really good FX (yeah, a couple of them could have looked better, like the final version of the Scorpian King, but nothing's perfect), and a plot that above all remains true to the original.
Good job, if you ask me.
To put this subject back on-topic, it is WELL worth the effort of at least a rental, much less the el cheapo cost of buying it outright since many places are STILL low-balling the price, but ONLY IF YOU REALLY LIKED THE FIRST FILM!
EDIT: one more thing: comparing it to The Phantom Menace. DVD-quality-wise, TPM wins by a nose. It's *hard* to find a higher-quality DVD than TMR, but TPM is it.
Movie-wise, I say with all honesty that The Mummy Returns kicks The Phantom Menace's ass. TPM *really IS* a good film, despite all the Jar-Jar bashing. But the replay factor on TMR is a lot higher around here. A good old-fashioned romp like from the days of the cliffhangers. In effect, what George Lucas was TRYING to do...Stephen Sommers *DID*!!! I'm sorry...I know I'll get flamed for this opinion, but at least it's an honest opinion: ...TPM: B- ...TMR: A-.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
[Edited last by David Lambert on October 29, 2001 at 04:54 AM]

I just can't agree with you David. I liked the first film, other than the fact that they did not take the story seriously, and I do own it on DVD, but the second film is just a mess. I made it through to about the 1/2 hour mark and returned it to my neighbor. His 8 year old loves it at any rate.
A friend of mine who had heard my review of it, I guess did not take my word for it and gave it a try, and made it to the 15 minute mark, before he stopped it with disgust. The cheapy CGI is just laughable. The war scene at the beginning had about 3 real people and the rest were either cardboard cut outs, or copy and paste CGI crap. It was embarrassing. The predictable plot and super Hollywood punch-up, puts this movie in a low of all time lows in the film industry. It's ok for middle America, but not for serious film freaks such as myself. There are so many holes in the story, you could drive a semi through it with out disturbing the side mirrors. I guess some people liked it.
------------------
Stephen C. Coghill
www.mp3.com/VIRTUALOGIC
www.mp3.com/DIGITALDOMAINmusic

P

Pieter_L

does ANYONE know of ANY rental outfit in west los angeles that rents the widescreen version?
PS:
- i will not buy this title
- i will not rent the P&S version
- if all else fails - who's got a copy i can borrow?
wink.gif

------------------

Shad R

Supporting Actor
I just enjoy movies. I do like "serious" movies...Godfather, Good Will Hunting and such, but sometimes, I like to just sit back and be entertained by a mindless action movie(Mummy Returns falls into that category!) I enjoyed it A WHOLE BUNCH! Not all movies should be masterpieces and works of art, some movies should just entertain. That's my opinion, of course.

cody meche

Auditioning
i enjoyed the movie and it graphics except the ending where the rock looked like a stay puff marshmellow man imaged crawfish, i believe with the millions spent on this movie they could of done better

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
does ANYONE know of ANY rental outfit in west los angeles that rents the widescreen version?
Try lazerblazer on Pico (I think that's the name). Also, Video Journeys (in Los Feliz) and Dave's (in Studio City), for sure carry the widescreen rental, although they're not in West LA.
------------------
Gerardo

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
rent...I'll sell you mine cheap. Biggest piece of tripe I have ever seen. Those morons rewrote Indiana Jones and screwed it up....how pathetic- they can't even plagerize.
The 'actor' who plays the so called comic relief is the most unfunny person I have ever seen. The only reason I could figure out why he was even there...was to make Brendan Frazier seem like a good actor!
Then they throw garbage like the blimp with sleath scramjets (circa 1930s)...at least most bad movies you can laugh at ....this is boring at best
The only useful thing I can think of this movie ..is to show it too suspected terrorists until they speak; I suspect that violates the Geneva Convention and most other standards of decent civilizations
------------------
"My, my, so many guns much anthrax-esque white powder around town these days, and so few brains." Humphrey Bogart
[Edited last by Grant B on October 31, 2001 at 10:53 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread