Unable to rent Mummy Returns in widescreen..anywhere!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave H, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I went to four different video stores today (Hollywood Video, BlockBuster, and two mom & pops) and none of them carried a widescreen version of Mummy Returns - all were full frame. What gives? I'm guessing some kind of deal was made with the video stores and distributor. This is the first time I ever ran into a rental situation such as this.

2. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

Where have you been? This has been discussed thoroughly here at the HTF.
    ------------------
    A Little Slice of Heaven

3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

You have the link? Sorry, I am human. Obviously, something I missed.

4. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

Don't want to sound harsh, but you are aware that there is a search feature at the forum?
    ------------------
    A Little Slice of Heaven

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

6. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

See how much gas money, time, trouble and embarrasment you would have saved yourself had you just bought it in the first place?! [​IMG]

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Henrik,
    Take a pill, man. Do you always get so rattled by little things? [​IMG]
    David,
    Thanks for the links. Where is the search function? Is this the "Search for topics in the last X days"? I was thinking more of a search engine where a key word is entered and related topics are brought up, but I don't think that's here anymore.
    Peter,
    After watching it, I'm glad I didn't buy it. Although the scenery and affects were nice, I wasn't too crazy about the movie. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Dave H on October 28, 2001 at 11:47 AM]
    [Edited last by Dave H on October 28, 2001 at 12:07 PM]

8. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron

9. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

10. Stephen_Coghill

11. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Dave H
    Do not worry about renting this movie. It is absolutely horrible. I do not see how so many people like this film. The CG is absolutely horrible. Nothing looks the least bit real. If you want to see beautiful CG, rent, hell, BUY The Phantom Menace!!
    My $.02!
    ------------------
    God bless!
    jeffrey noel
    My DVD Collection

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Okay, I'll put in my 2¢ worth:
    "The Mummy Returns" is AWESOME!
    IF you like the first movie, then by all means you ought to like the sequel. It is DEFINATELY more of the same thing, but painted against a larger landscape, if you will. With a few twists and turns along the way. About half of them you can see coming (like the water scene that mocks a certain scene in the first one with a bunch of sand), but there were a few genuine "Oh, My!" sequences in there for the group of friends that me and my wife watched with.
    None of us hated it, but then again we all looked forward to it as we all loved the orginal film. Those in the group who watched my copy on DVD, all went out and bought their own copies by the weekend!
    Gourgeous-looking. Really good FX (yeah, a couple of them could have looked better, like the final version of the Scorpian King, but nothing's perfect), and a plot that above all remains true to the original.
    Good job, if you ask me.
    To put this subject back on-topic, it is WELL worth the effort of at least a rental, much less the el cheapo cost of buying it outright since many places are STILL low-balling the price, but ONLY IF YOU REALLY LIKED THE FIRST FILM!
    EDIT: one more thing: comparing it to The Phantom Menace. DVD-quality-wise, TPM wins by a nose. It's *hard* to find a higher-quality DVD than TMR, but TPM is it.
    Movie-wise, I say with all honesty that The Mummy Returns kicks The Phantom Menace's ass. TPM *really IS* a good film, despite all the Jar-Jar bashing. But the replay factor on TMR is a lot higher around here. A good old-fashioned romp like from the days of the cliffhangers. In effect, what George Lucas was TRYING to do...Stephen Sommers *DID*!!! I'm sorry...I know I'll get flamed for this opinion, but at least it's an honest opinion: ...TPM: B- ...TMR: A-.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
    [Edited last by David Lambert on October 29, 2001 at 04:54 AM]

13. Stephen_Coghill

I just can't agree with you David. I liked the first film, other than the fact that they did not take the story seriously, and I do own it on DVD, but the second film is just a mess. I made it through to about the 1/2 hour mark and returned it to my neighbor. His 8 year old loves it at any rate.
    A friend of mine who had heard my review of it, I guess did not take my word for it and gave it a try, and made it to the 15 minute mark, before he stopped it with disgust. The cheapy CGI is just laughable. The war scene at the beginning had about 3 real people and the rest were either cardboard cut outs, or copy and paste CGI crap. It was embarrassing. The predictable plot and super Hollywood punch-up, puts this movie in a low of all time lows in the film industry. It's ok for middle America, but not for serious film freaks such as myself. There are so many holes in the story, you could drive a semi through it with out disturbing the side mirrors. I guess some people liked it.
    ------------------
    Stephen C. Coghill
    www.mp3.com/VIRTUALOGIC
    www.mp3.com/DIGITALDOMAINmusic

14. Pieter_L

Pieter_L Guest

does ANYONE know of ANY rental outfit in west los angeles that rents the widescreen version?
    PS:
    - i will not buy this title
    - i will not rent the P&S version
    - if all else fails - who's got a copy i can borrow? [​IMG]
    ------------------

15. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

I just enjoy movies. I do like "serious" movies...Godfather, Good Will Hunting and such, but sometimes, I like to just sit back and be entertained by a mindless action movie(Mummy Returns falls into that category!) I enjoyed it A WHOLE BUNCH! Not all movies should be masterpieces and works of art, some movies should just entertain. That's my opinion, of course.

16. cody meche

cody meche Auditioning

i enjoyed the movie and it graphics except the ending where the rock looked like a stay puff marshmellow man imaged crawfish, i believe with the millions spent on this movie they could of done better

17. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron

18. Grant B

Grant B Producer

rent...I'll sell you mine cheap. Biggest piece of tripe I have ever seen. Those morons rewrote Indiana Jones and screwed it up....how pathetic- they can't even plagerize.
    The 'actor' who plays the so called comic relief is the most unfunny person I have ever seen. The only reason I could figure out why he was even there...was to make Brendan Frazier seem like a good actor!
    Then they throw garbage like the blimp with sleath scramjets (circa 1930s)...at least most bad movies you can laugh at ....this is boring at best
    The only useful thing I can think of this movie ..is to show it too suspected terrorists until they speak; I suspect that violates the Geneva Convention and most other standards of decent civilizations
    ------------------
    "My, my, so many guns much anthrax-esque white powder around town these days, and so few brains." Humphrey Bogart
    [Edited last by Grant B on October 31, 2001 at 10:53 AM]