Unable to get DVD-V layer from DVD-A Discs on Denon 2815

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Neil White, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

It clearly says it on the liner notes for Steely Dan, Two Against Nature DVD-A - DTS 6 channel as well as DVD-A layer (amongst other options). I can't find the DTS track for the life of me. A Night at the Opera has clear options for DTS, Stereo and MLP. Two Against Nature has Surround and Stereo in the menus only. If I select surround I get the MLP alright but only stereo over the digital connection (as you would expect). How the heck do I get the DTS?

Come to think of it, I think it says there is a DD surround track too which I can't find. I'm thinking there is something I must do to 'see' these options on the disc but I have no idea what.

I don't think this is the only disc I've had this problem on. Reviews of Hotel California state that it too has DD and DTS tracks (no mention of DTS on the liner notes though) yet I don't see them!

Equipment - Denon DVM-2815 player/Denon AVR-3803 receiver. Player is set for multi-channel DVD-A playback. DTS is enabled (note, DTS 96/24 plays fine from ANATO so I know I can get more than PCM over the digital connection from DVD-A discs in my setup).

Thanks

N

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

You have to tell the player to read the VIDEO portion of the DVD-Audio disc, which contains the DTS track on at least this release.

When I put my player in DVD-Audio section mode there is no ability to get to the DTS track on Two Against Nature.

My questions are these: that Denon player you mention doesn't sound familiar to me... are you SURE it's a DVD-Audio player, and why (if you do have DVD-Audio capabilities) would you want the DTS track anyway? The high rez. PCM tracks are the best versions on the disc and why you bough DVD-Audio in the first place.

On most current universal, DVD-A, and SACD players you can only output the high rez., multi-channel & sometimes even stereo tracks through the analog 5.1 audio plugs.

Dan

3. Neil White

Dan, yes, the 2815 is a DVD-A player (5-disc carousel version of the single-disc 1815). There is no option to tell it to read the DVD-V layer specifically. On other discs such as The Nightfly/ANATO it successfully plays video with DD or DTS for eg. as well as the MLP layer. So, if a disc requires you to select the DVD-V layer I guess I'm screwed as there is no option on the 2815 for that. I'm having a hard time believing the player is flawed in such a way.

It's definitely a DVD-A player. Menu options, front panel indications, output all prove it as such.

As to why I want to listen to the non-DVD-A tracks - because they are there and I like to compare. Plus, until I get bass management sorted-out to my liking, in some cases I'm finding the DTS layer more pleasing to the ear.

Thanks

N

4. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Neil, I looked at the on-line manual for your DVM-2815. In the trouble shooting section on page 28 it says:

No DTS audio Output - This player does not support DTS Audio. This is not a malfunction.

And on Page 25 in DVD Setup is says that one of the audio settings can be set to Default to DTS ON - which means that it will output the signal for external DTS decoding - maybe your receiver can then decode the DTS signal?

5. Neil White

Rick, thanks for taking the trouble to look it up. The 2815 outputs DTS just fine over the digital connection and that is how I thought I would get DTS from a DVD-A disc with a DTS track on the DVD-V layer. Per info above, I get DTS just fine off of some discs (24/96 in some cases) and I certainly get DTS from regular DVD-V movie discs etc. Furthermore, the 2815 has an internal DTS decoder which will output the signal over the 5.1 is you so desire.

With respect, were you looking at the manual for the 2815? The page numbers you give do not match-up but they do for the 1815. The 1815 does not have a DTS decoder and cannot output over the analog but the 2815 can. The 1815 does pass DTS over it's digital connection so the troubleshooting section in that manual is misleading.

Thinking maybe this needs moving to the Audio/Video Sources forum now ....

N

6. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

My apologies, Neil! A little slip of the mouse and I mistakenly looked at the 1815 manual - the 2815 is not available on Denon's website. Sounds like you have tried everything I would try, so now we're both stumped!

7. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

In my 2900 there is a setting in the main setup menu that lets you select Video or Audio. It took me a little while to figure out what it did.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Same with the 2200. There is a setting in the multi-channel analog for DVD Audio that simply says Audio or Video, and it didn't make any sense, so I looked it up in the manual and it said this setting is for DVD-A only. Check to see if your player, which probably has a similar menu system to the 2900 and 2200, has this.

9. Neil White

Guys, I looked, nothing. Under multi-channel set-up I have options for setting it to 2CH or MCH then speaker config/distance/delay etc. But nothing that gives Video or Audio choices. How bizzare.

Looking at the on-line manuals for the 2200 and 2900 I see the option is under player mode. No such option on the 2815. I guess due to it being a lower end DVD-A player but I would have thought this is a DVD-A standard feature, not a special one.

N

Update: I just plopped my Two Against Nature DVD-A in a non DVD-A player and voila, the DVD-V menu pops-up with DD and DTS options so at least I can see what I am supposed to get now. Just have to figure out how the heck I can get to it on my Denon DVM-2815... the mystery continues. Maybe it's flat out not possible and the player assumes DVD-A if available.

I've emailed Denon but based on other posts, I'm not holding my breath for a quick response.

Blah - email just rejected so the link on their Website has a bad address in it!

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Doh, I just thought about it. The 2815 is a tiny bit older than the 2200, and it probably does NOT have the same menu system since it also doesn't have SACD. How about the manual for the 1200, which I believe is more similar to the 2815 than the 2200/2900? Just a thought.

11. Neil White

Good thought John. However, no cigar. The 1200 manual is almost indentical to the 2815. But I appreciate the suggestion.

It would be interesting to know whether this is a limitation found on other, non-Denon, lower-end DVD-A capable players (the 2815 is not exactly low end but it ain't no 2200/2900 either).

N

12. Neil White

This is really bugging me so wanted to bump this up again. The real question has ended-up being, do many non high-end DVD-A players have the issue of NOT being able to access the DVD-V layer? Dan questioned above why you would want to do this when DVD-A offers the highest resolution tracks. My answer is there are some good DTS and DD tracks on those discs also worth listening to and I'm thinking you may only be able to view some supplemental stuff like videos if you can access the DVD-V layer (plus it's there so I wanna be able to use it!).

I scanned the Web for this problem as it pertains to my Denon player and found absolutely zip.

Thanks

N

13. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

The early Panasonics also have the problem. My Toshiba 5700 does not. On it you can select DVD-Video priority over DVD-Audio priority in the set up menu, thus turning the player into a DVD-V player only, which allows you to access the low-rez tracks. This is how I can play the videos on Harvest, which totally crashes my player (green screen of death) when played as a DVD-A. You may be able to access the DD & DTS tracks by manually selecting through the various titles on the disc, if your player lets you manually select titles.

14. Neil White

Larry, thanks for the reply. Now I know I'm not just doing something wrong. I will try selecting titles as you suggest (I think I may have tried that already but can't remember.)

It just seems so odd a problem. It's not like the Denon DVM-2815 is a first-gen DVD-A player. It's like the ability to access DVD-V off DVD-A discs is being treated as a feature when I would have thought it should be something that is standard.

Regards,

N

15. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

My Panasonic RP-91 works the same way, Neil: there's no option to switch to the DVD-V files with some discs. My previous DVD-A player, also made by Matsushita, a Technics DVD-A10, did have an option in the player menu to switch between the DVD-V and DVD-A files.

I suspect it has to do with how certain players handle certain authoring methods, because for some discs all of the options are available as you have noticed. It's just something you got to work around until you get a new player.

At least you got the hi-rez tracks no matter what. That would be most imortant to me anyways.

DJ

16. Neil White

David, thanks. I'm at least satisfied now knowing it's not me missing a trick somewhere.

I appreciate all the input folks. Thanks for listening to me whine on.

N