What's new

Unable to enable ARC between Hisense & Yamaha (1 Viewer)

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Hisense TV (65U8G) and a Yamaha AV Receiver (RX-V675) and I'm unable to enable the ARC the function. In the TV's menu, the choice is grayed out.
I have the HDMI cable connected between the sole ARC port (HDMI 3) on the TV and the sole HDMI out port on the Receiver. I have the "HDMI Control"function enabled in the receivers menu.

At present, I have been using an optical cable between the former TV (no ARC) using AV4 which is the default. I understood the older ARC does not need any 'enhanced' cable to work. Is that correct? Yamaha's audio settings have always been confusing to me especially when it's a separate (non HDMI) feed.

Any ideas or questions if my explanation isn't clear enough??

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
I should add, this is for the TV's tuner and Internet applications (Netflix & Prime Video). It would be nice to get rid of the optical cable. I'm assuming the HDMI path would be an improvement over the optical, or is this ARC overrated and buggy??

Correct me if I'm wrong; they both are PCM and I believe both are 5.1.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
ARC is overrated and buggy.

There may be zero advantage to using hdmi over optical. If both components have eARC then the possible advantage is the ability to pass Atmos audio, except it appears your receiver doesn't have that anyway.

Honestly, it's already hooked up and working, so does the optical cable actually make a big difference?

If the hdmi cable is old, that could be the problem. Any certified 18Gb/s cable could solve the problem.

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
Golly, a new (at the time) feature that is overrated & buggy???

No, the one extra cable isn't a problem. I was going to try another cable, but according to that other thread it's not worth it.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"..................
I didn't realize ARC is around 12 years old (2009?) and my old set may of had that feature that I wasn't aware of.

Anyone else's two cents? :confused:

Last edited:
Real Name
Mark Stenroos
I like ARC as it allows me to play audio thru my Roku soundbar when I am viewing discs played thru my X-Box.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
ARC has benefits with a sound bar, which mostly go away when using a receiver, since components should be connected to the receiver, not the TV.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is.the HDMI port.on your.receiver marked as ARC capable? If not then the port may not.be compatible with ARC.

I mostly using it only because my receiver is not.capable of passing a 120Hz video signal from my PS5. I had to hook the PS5 directly to.the TV and pass audio to my receiver over the ARC connection. I would have rather had another HDMI port on the console to.pass audio.directly to the receiver.

ARC is also buggy. I could only get it to.work when I plugged my old Samsung K8500 player into the receiver.

Edit: I looked at the manual for your receiver on-line and the HDMI out is ARC compatible so that answered my question. Yamaha receivers seem to have a handshake issue with recognizing an ARC connection from the TV. It took me quite awhile to get it working between my Aventage 3080 and the LG OLED I own.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Polbroth
Recent bookmarks