Un-porting a ported sub. Good idea?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Javier_Huerta, May 26, 2002.

1. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

Lets say I have a commercially available Definitive Technology sub, which sounds terrible because of the noise the air generates out of the port. Would stuffing the port or closing it give me better sound? How can I evaluate the quality of the bass? Should I use an SPL meter, or bassy music?
    Or, given the fact that I have the amp and a 10 inch cone in it, do you think I'd get better results by using this stuff and doing a DIY cabinet? If so, how should I proceed? I obviously don't know the operating parameters of it. [​IMG]

2. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Well if you figure out the internal volume of the enclosure and the length and diametre of the port Then can find what it is tuned to. Then using a a sim program design a box with the same internal volume but use a larger port tuned to the same frequency. It should give the same response and at the same time get rid of port noise. The down side is you will have to build a new enclosure.

Plugging the port will change how loud it will play and how low it will go. You in essence change the design. Except you have know idea what was change.