Un-Official Poll--Who`s Sticking w/ 2-channel for Music

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pete Gia, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Pete Gia

Pete Gia Stunt Coordinator

I plan on staying with Traditional 2-channel Redbook CD for music. There just seems to be too many issues with the new formats. Who`s with me????? Would like to hear from vinyl people as well. Best Regards Pete

2. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Pete... While it seems that people can be very opinionated, the bottom line is both hi-rez formats can be far superior when done correctly. Does that make one right and the other wrong? I own both formats and my vote goes for a big fat NO!
    They will soon get around to doing the heavyweights like the Beatles, Floyd and many others. In the mean time, there is low hanging fruit to be picked. Grab a basket and enjoy [​IMG].

3. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

I listen to CD, SACD, and vinyl in my music system which is 2-channel only. I don't think I have the money, time or room to invest in a multi-channel setup that would be of comparable quality, since, IMO, full-range channels are required of surround sound. I do use a multi-channel SACD player though, but only listen to SACD in 2-channel mode.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I am sticking with two channel until this summer when I add my Maggie surround speakers.

I am slowing buying every SACD title in sight as the new masterings are very good.

Remember, good two channel can easily beat multi-channel in capturing the three dimensionality and natural sound of the event.

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Although I have DVDA in my DVD player, I'm sticking with 2 channel for the time being. I'll probably expand to SACD and/or DVDA at some point, but I have thousands of CD's and albums and I don't see myself ever abandoning my collection. I did buy a very nice Arcam CD player in the last few weeks and am now thinking of building a two channel only setup, despite the fact that my current Rotel/Parasound combo does two channel just fine.

6. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    2 channel here also. But preferably 2 channel high res DVD-A [​IMG]

7. John Beavers

John Beavers Second Unit

Limiting oneself to one expression of music is not how I would define a music enthusiast. There are fabulous multichannel albums out there on both DVD-A and SACD, and there are also exceptional stereo versions. Not all SACD and DVD-A multichannel mixes end up being my choice for perferred listening format, but I do enjoy having the choice and getting to experience both versions.

8. Michael Hartwig

Michael Hartwig Stunt Coordinator

I have SACD in multichannel (of course 2 channel also). I can say that I am beginning to appreciate more and more the possibilities of multi-channel. The music has more presence. But I'm afraid if a person feels they need to visualize a physical soundstage they will not enjoy the multichannel sound. The multi-channel forum allows the mastering engineer to become an artist. The music flows all around you. Someone said "Stereo is like listening to music from another room and multi-channel puts you in that room".
    Will it become a standard of hi-end? Don't know. DVD-V has become a standard of hi-end home entertainment.

9. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I am going to stick with the traditional 2 channel redbook audio using Dolby Pro-Logic 2. I will wait until DVD-A or SACD takes over the market and then go to those.

10. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I listen to both. CD I listen in 2 channel. DVD A I listen in 2 channel and surround depending.

11. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I like all of the formats mentioned here and use them all in stereo and multi-channel - without prejudice. I have no intention of limiting my options to any one format or mode of listening as there is much I have heard great in all offerings.

Lee,

If you're buying every SACD in sight because of the new masterings, then you haven't heard the Quincy Jones SACD from Universal nor the Karajan Beethoven ninth. TERRIBLE. If you are talking about pure DSD recordings only, then I agree, but some of the offerings from Sony and Universal have been questionable in my experience.

Reg

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

2-channel here too. But redbook CD sound quality is ... "wanting".

I still say that lp is the best, followed by SACD and DVD-A (depending on the mix of course). Just that the last 2 are a lot more convenient.

Multi-channel DVD-A and SACD? I have the setup for it, but no thanks, I'll pass.

13. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Having both SACD and DVDA, I listen to each version an whicheversounds best is what I stay with! Sometimes multichannel(Jame Taylor SACD) or sometimes 2 channel(Stones, SRV&DT).[​IMG]

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I am a two-channel guy by nature. However, I have not limited myself to stereo formats. I have SACD and DVD-Audio players and listen to these formats in surround sound every once in awhile for a change of pace. Thus, most of my listening, regardless of format, is in stereo. Even if you greatly prefer stereo, don't deny yourself the superior sound quality of SACD and DVD-Audio. Remember, both do stereo and do it better than CD. [​IMG]

15. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

The only way I'm going to switch to multi-channel is when it's available in vinyl. Just imagine what the turntable would look like. [​IMG]
    Lin

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lin, they tried that already. Remember Quadrophonic? [​IMG]

17. JordanS

JordanS Second Unit

definitely a two channel guy.......when the Quad Release of DSOTM comes out, i will do some upgrades......can't wait for the other Floyd Quad's to come out as well.....

18. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

They great thing about having a surround set up is that you can still listen to stereo music. No "sacrifice" is being made.

19. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Why would I want to stick with an artifical limitation that was an inherent compromise from the start? Two channels was chosen as the bare minimum to get a stable image -- three channels couldn't be easily delivered to consumers. So we have comb-filtering and phasing issues which simply don't exist when you go over to a trio of front channel speakers as that legacy.

I just have to sit back and laugh when I read anyone type something like this below, the fact that it comes from Lee is no surprise to me.....

20. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I love my Multi-Channel system. It's very flexible. I can listen to 2 channel stereo or 5 channel stereo or DD 5.1 sound or DTS 5.1 or DVDA 2 channel/5.1 or SACD 2 channel/5.1.

Plus it's great for movies on DVD.

Who wouldn't want such a system.

And it really didn't cost that much money.