What's new

(un)Official Meeting Place for Cincinnati HTF Members (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Greetings fellow citizens of the Queen City!
Since there seem to be several folks from the Greater Cincinnati Area on the HTF, I thought it might be fun to start a thread where we can discuss possible get togethers.
Me? I live in Southgate, KY. I have a (very) modest home theater, consisting of a 27" WEGA, a Pioneer DV-333 DVD player, an old Pioneer LD player, the requisite vcr, a Hughes DirecTV system and an Aiwa Home Theater in a Box system. I know it's nothing compared to some folks' HDTV projection systems, but what can I say? I'm poor and have been known to sell organs on eBay to get DVD money.
Anyone else out there interested in possible meets, DVD swaps, trips to clean out Best Buy?

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
My home (ahem...apartment) theater is similar to yours, consisting of a 32" RCA, a Pioneer DV-343, a Kenwood HTB-354 (soon to be upgraded with Acoustic Research Performance speakers all around), and a Sony CE775 SACD changer.

Sadly, due to the studio apartment setting downtown, I can't get away with too much noise, much less seat more than three people comfortably.

I'd be up for meets, swaps, a movie at the Levee...whatever. Spare time might be scarce for the rest of the year due to the holidays; I'll be in and out of town. Hopefully, we'll be able to get enough people interested once things settle down for everyone.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Just bumping this tiny lil' thread up a bit. I know there's more than two of us out there! Perhaps after the busy season we can actually get a small meet together.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I go to college at Miami University, and although I don't have a car, there is another HTF-er here who goes to Miami (Chuck_C) who I'm guessing has one, because he lives off-campus. I'd be interested in meeting you two (and more), but I'd have to get a ride from Chuck.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I will offer to host a HTF meet at my house in Middletown. I just had my Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD ISF calibrated by Gregg Loewen. I would love to have you all over to see the fantastic results!!

Let's aim for the last part of Feb., 2003. I will contact several other members that I know about in this area!!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD
*drool*
I guess I have TV Envy. :)
I'm up for it. Middletown is a little bit of a drive for me, but I've done it before. I did a play up in Middletown for Rising Phoenix Theatre. I had to drive from NKy to Middletown every night for two months. My car hates me.
Just keep me posted and I'm there!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Brian makes me feel bad , I've been talking to Alan for months, he's kept me up to date on various HT opportunities (namely Gregg's isf calibration). And he's been inviting me to his house since I've started emailing him, and he's roughly 15 to 20 mins away from me and I haven't made it down there yet.:frowning:
I will be down to Alan's house even if it's just he and I, but I would surely like to connect with other HTF's since we're definitely a special breed. I mean you start talking about dolby digital, widescreen vs. fullscreen, progressive vs. interlaced to the average Joe's and they look at you crazy.:angry: :D ;)

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Alan:

Well I live in Hamilton Alan and I would love to come see that Pioneer and talk about the calibration. I'll need to calibrate my toshiba soon.

Looking forward to getting together!

Mike

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Late February should be okay for me. I'll be out of town for most of next week due to a wedding, but anything after the 10th is open at the moment.
Don't forget to bring DVDs to trade! :D

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Alan, add me to the list...as long as it's not over the valentine's day/president's day weekend...I know I am not the only Miamian who is interested in attending but will be out of town that weekend.
float me an email [email protected]

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The last week of February is really a killer for me, so if it's going to be on the 28th or March 1st, I'm out. The previous weekend should be fine for me though.
This'll only be my second exposure to a 5.1 home theater (or is yours a 6.1 or 7.1?), if not my first. If I recall correctly, my cousin showed me and my sister Jumanji on LD back in '94 on his big screen, and it was awesome. I know he had the 5.1 setup, but not sure if the LD had 5.1 (I'm guessing it did though). He was even showing me Star Wars for the first time, but it was pretty late, and five minutes into the movie, my parents had me go to bed. Boy, if I knew how big Star Wars was back then, I would've thrown a huge fit. :D Anyways, it's been a LOOOOOOOONG time! :)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
How does Saturday, March 22 sound for everyone? Give me your feedback! Sounds like we have some very good interest here!

Maybe Thomas and Chuck can hook-up for a trip up from Oxford!!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
March 22 should be fine for me, and I just told Chuck about it, he says that works for him as well. He can give me a ride too!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Wow Alan, hope you have enuff seats for all of us better break out the bean bags :D
I wouldn't mind hosting a HT gathering, I can comfortably seat five extra people after me. Beyond that would necessitate bean bags or somethin.
In the middle of next month I will be buying a front projector and a screen (100" or 110"), and a new sound system (pioneer d811, jbl S-series all around). I can't wait to see what the difference is between a rptv and a FP, and the impact of going from 65" to 110"!!
God bless America........and tax refunds!!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Allan, I just noticed something about your HT (besides the ridiculous price you paid for that stuff). I noticed you should have more than enuff seats for us. But the most important thing I've noticed is...............YOU HAVE THE BEST SEAT IN THE HOUSE!!! You bum!;) :D

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
LaMarcus, if you're real nice, I may let you sit in "The Sweet Spot", for a little while.
With a bit of rearranging, and a few folding chairs, I'll see to it that everyone has a decent view.
BTW, I am also extremely proud of the audio performance of my system. Pioneer Elite, Paradigm speakers, Carver amp, Monster Power, and a well damped room due to Sonex acoustic panels. I think everyone will be impressed with both the audio and video!!
I called my best friend, Kevin, last night. Hopefully, he will join us. He is building one heck of a system down there in Mason, and soon will have a dedicated HT room in his condos basement!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I'm out on March 22, unfortunately. The wife and I are travelling to the D.C. area to visit our new niece that weekend. Hmmm. New baby or really big HDTV.....

Shucks. Guess it has to be the TV...I mean baby.

Anyhow, maybe I can make it another time. Sigh.

Maybe you guys can make a mass trip to the local Blockbuster and harass the poor schmuck behind the counter about carrying MARred releases. teehee. Ain't I a stinker?

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Sweet spot...emmmm sweeeet.

I can't wait to hear what your sound is like down there man. I can't wait to see what a Gregg Lowen ISF'd tv looks like. I guess I just can't wait. I'm gonna have to reevaluate my weekend schedule and make the trip down there before the gathering.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Brian,

You started this post, and it just would not be right that you are not involved in this meet.

Hey people, what about sometime in April or May? That will give everyone plenty of time to plan! We need to do it by the middle of May so that our friends at M.U. will still be in the area!!

Users who are viewing this thread