What's new

(un)Official HTF Greater Cincinnati Meet (V.3) (1 Viewer)

Dre J

Stunt Coordinator
Alan,

Sounds like you are having a ball. I hope the new amp works out well.

How are things now that you have the new preamp in the system?

Did you get that dedicated circuit installed yet?

Dre

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I need some input from you guys. I bought a demo Marsh A400s amp from AA. (2 x 330wpc @ 4 ohms, 2 x 200wpc @ 8 ohms) I hooked it up last night and it sounded pretty good. I am auditioning this vs. my Earthquake Cinenova. (5 x 600wpc @ 4 ohms, 5 x 300wpc @ 8 ohms)

The Marsh has much tighter and authoritative bottom end then the Earthquake. I had to lower the crossover on my MartinLogan Depth sub from 45Hz to 35Hz and reduce the gain. This amp made that much difference!! But it doesn't seem to have as good of sound stage. I'm hoping that some breaking in will help that. I put in a CD this morning and am playing the Marsh all day by repeating play on the CD.

As is the case with my Earthquake, when I turn my Marsh P2000t preamp up to about 11:00, the amp starts to show signs of clipping. I am running all my gear on one 15 amp circuit. I will be getting a dedicated 20 amp line installed in a few weeks.

Do you think both of these amps are having trouble pushing my 1.6s with this 15 amp line?? I really want this Marsh amp to work for me. I can tell by the bottom end of the Marsh that it is a better quality amp!!

Do you guys have any opinions or advice on this matter. Thanks!!

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Al, just so you know, going from a 15-amp line to a 20-amp line, is not like opening a valve on a water line. You're not going to get more electrons flowing through your wires. By your question, it seemed like you were getting an impression like this.

If the 15-amp circuit wasn't big enough, your breaker would open the circuit to prevent too much heat in the wires.

Gotta go!
Geo

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
George,

What I can't understand is that in my old house, I was running 5 maggies off of the Cinenova and playing it much, much louder with out a problem. In my new house, I am using it in a 2 channel system and using 4 out of the 5 channels for just 2 speakers!! It has got to be something to do with my house wiring!!

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Well, it looks like you guys win round 1. A lot of dumb mistakes by us. But, your offense also looks really good. This might be your year. Just beat Pittsburgh!!!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Yeah, the Bengals were jammin last Sunday. Browns look like they have potential to do some things this year. That game would have been a lot different if the had not had so many flags.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Hey Gents,

Remember me? :) This came in yesterday courtesy of UPS:

JBL E30 (fronts) - $139 from B&H
JBL EC35 (center) $160 from B&H
Dayton 10" 100W Subwoofer - $150 from PE
Sanus speaker stands - $50 from PE

I'm using my roommate's $10 garage sale speakers as surrounds. Sadly, they do the trick for now. :frowning: :D

It sure is nice listening to the current Universal Pictures theme in 5.1. :D

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Hey Thomas:

Congratulations.............Hope they are working out for you.

How's everyone doing? Alan: Did you finally sell that amp?

We need to get together. Looking at our schedule - I could schedule a get together sometime in Jan or Feb.

Anyway, the Circleville Pumpkin Show is up next week. It's the largest festival in Ohio and the Fourth largest in the good ole USA. Come and have some Pumpkin burgers (Great) or waffles. Personally, I go for Bennets Perch Fish Fry.

No better in the states.

Hope to see ya all there!

Mike

Dre J

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Guys,

It's good to see you are all doing well. Since this is the only post that brings me back to the site, I'm happy to see you continuing this thread. Otherwise, I would have no clue what was going on.

I agree with Mike. It would be good to meet again. Since our last get together, I've added vinyl playback to my setup. This has been a wonderful experience. It is absolutely nothing like what I had remembered vinyl to be. I can't explain it with words. You have to experience it for yourself. I've also added a DirecTV HDVR to the mix as well.

BTW: I've finally purchased and received some audio stands for 2-channel gear that is integrated with the HT and multichannel audio. This is the gear that sits in front of the RPTV that I called the "short stack". The "short stack" is now on audio racks.

Dre

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Dre, Mike, Thomas, LeMarcus, and others,

Glad to see this thread get some life back in it!! This and a "Maggie update" thread in the "Speakers and Subwoofers" section are about the only threads I post to. Oh, I do post to the "Hardware For Sale/Trade" from time to time as I have updated/replaced several items.

Since our last get together, I've added vinyl playback to my setup. This has been a wonderful experience. It is absolutely nothing like what I had remembered vinyl to be. I can't explain it with words. You have to experience it for yourself.
I had the chance to hear Dre's vinyl sound..."You can get this kind of sound from a LP??....unbelievable"!!

My wife and I took our yearly pilgrimage to Las Vegas in Sept. While there, I had arranged to go over to meet Michael Green of "Room Tune" fame and listen to his 3 systems that he has set up in his Vegas Towers apartment.

Gentlemen...

I have never, ever, in my life, heard any audio system that even came close to the sound that M.G. extracts from his systems. He is the proponent of "the tunable system",and I am now a believer!!

Here is a clip of his systems:
http://www.michaelgreenaudio.com/for...opic.php?t=508

It was truly a profound revelation to hear a room and system "tuned" to make the speakers completely disappear!! It's as if the whole room was the speaker??

Have any of you ever heard of Michael Green?

Anyway, I've gone on long enough. Let's get together soon!!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Yeah I would like to see you guys. I used to live and die by the HTF. Now, not so much anymore. I've made small changes to my theater since you guys have been there:
~100" screen
~Panny Projector
~New furniture

Other than that same old I guess. It's been so long, I'm not even sure. Would be nice to watch a couple HD Bengal games with you Alan.

Anyway, I miss all my HT buddies, especially since I'm the only guy I know in Dayton now. All my friends moved away. :frowning:

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
LaMarcus,

I'd love to come up and see your new stuff and visit with you. You are a cool dude!!

You also need to get down here and see my new digs and my two new systems!!

Maybe we can get together for the next Bengals/ Steelers game??

BTW, I think I might be buying some 3.6 maggies today....you know, the big boys!!

TTYL,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks