1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

(un)Official HTF Greater Cincinnati Meet (V.3)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Forum Meets' started by LaMarcus, Apr 23, 2003.

1. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Great Meet Pat..........

I had a fabulous time and I loved the Rockets. Maybe someday!

Mike

2. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

Pat,

Thanks for being such a good host. Your theater looks and sounds really good as in excellent. The work you have put into it is admirable. Thanks for taking the time to explain how you set things up and why you decided to do things the way you did them.
    I had a wonderful time and hope that we can get together again and share more information as time goes on.

Again, thanks for the great time and allowing me to enjoy your hard work.

Dre

P.S. The sausage was good. I got there before Mike! [​IMG]

3. Pat Dungan

Pat Dungan Stunt Coordinator

Hmm..I've never been called a deity before. :b

Seriously, I had a blast and am glad everyone could make it. [​IMG]

4. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I fixed that right away! I meant "good" host. [​IMG]

Dre

5. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

You guys are God Hosts!

I've never seen so much great equipment at all three houses. I've really come away with the thought of how I would choose a 2 channel system when I get ready to upgrade my basement. All three sets of speakers had different characteristics but in the end all sounded great!

So, I guess it will come down to $. Setting a budget and seeing what is available at that budget. I did this when I orginally setup my HT - though not at your guys level.

I WILL GET THERE.........

Mike

6. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Dre,

I moved my speakers and chair as you mentioned. I also adjusted the 4 channels of my Cinenova amp using the appropriate low pass/high pass settings. To my ears, the mid bass is much improved, and the whole sound seems much improved!!

Sometime when you have some spare time, I would like for you to stop over and give it a listen so I can get your impression. Four ears are better than two!! I value your opinion very much. Of course, this is all temporary until my room is built.

Give me a call at your convenience. Thanks!!

7. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

Alan,

That's great. I'm glad you are happy.

I'll try to give you a call later in the week and see what I can do. Things are a bit hectic right now but I'll talk to you soon.

Dre

8. Alan Pummill

Hey people,

I am selling my Outlaw 950 pre/pro. Asking $600...will take offers!!

I bought a new Marsh Sound Design P2000t hybrid tube preamp from Audio Advisor. All of the folks over at the MUG, (Magnepan Users Group), tell me that the combination of a tube preamp and a SS amp really compliment the sound of the maggies. BTW, I got a great deal on a demo unit AA had laying around!!

I'm slowly upgrading my system to enhance my 2 channel listening enjoyment!! [​IMG]

9. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

Alan,

That's great. I'm happy for you. I hope it works out well. Be sure to let us know how it sounds to you.

Dre

BTW:I haven't forgot to come visit. Things just keep popping up.

10. Pat Dungan

I just got word that I should have the emotiva twins sometime next week...if anyone is interested in hearing them, drop me an email. [​IMG]

11. Alan Pummill

WHAM, BAM, THANK YOU FOR THE SLAM!! My maggies never sounded so good!!

FedEx delivered my new Marsh Sound Designs P2000T hybrid tube preamp this morning. What a great upgrade from the Outlaw 950, especially for use in a 2 channel music only system. The maggies have some pretty descent low end, but I wasn't getting all they had to offer with the Outlaw 950. Along with the Depth sub, it sounds really sweet.

BTW, I have decided to keep my room in it's current mode and do as much sound treatment as necessary (fake ficus trees behind the maggies for disfussion, heavy curtains over the mirror doors of those 4 closets, upgrade the suspended ceiling to high end 2' x 2' Armstrong acoustic panels, some nice over stuffed seating)

The lowest bid, 3, that I got to remodel was $7000, not counting new carpet. I can tweak the hell out of that room and my system for that kind of $$$. (better interconnections, a nice rack, a dedicated 20 amp curcuit for my amp, new lights in the new ceiling) And maybe at some point, a pair of Magnepan MG3.6R's!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Hi all:

Last night I had a friend of my son bring over the Crossroads Festival DVD to check out. What a treat! The guitar's were fantastic.

My paradigms sound pretty good when DTS_ES or DD is enabled on music. I think the setup hurts for 2 channel because of the room. Anyway that DVD is really worth it.

Where are you guys buying SACD's or DVD-A discs?

Mike

13. Pat Dungan

14. Alan Pummill

Hey Pat,

Did that guy on your forum buy the 750's from you? And if he did, does he live in Beavercreek? And I wonder how much he would charge me to do a crossover upgrade on my maggies?

People tell me that upgrading the maggies makes a word of difference, but I wouldn't know where to start!! I have never soldered!!

15. Pat Dungan

Yeah, MrKegFlex is a good friend of mine...known him for years. He bought my 750s and wanted the crossover upgrade. I dont know if he would work on your maggies....shoot him an email and ask...he is a really nice guy that is just getting into more of a mid-level system. [​IMG]

16. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson

17. Alan Pummill

18. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    How much farther did you pursue the Basement Living Systems thing, Alan?

I like the fact that it's an all-in-one solution that they can (allegedly) install in a few weeks, but I imagine it's expensive like most Champion stuff. I probably won't move on it for some time, but you're the only person I know who has actively looked into it.

19. Alan Pummill

David,

I've decide to remodel with what I have now. I just got back from Lowe's with a fellow who is installing a new Armstrong acoustic ceiling and canned lights for me in the basement. He will also be installing a dedicated 20 amp circut for my audio gear.

I only have a partial basement, and decided that I didn't want to chop it up. I am also getting some large cubicle walls to use as a portable wall to section my listening area off from the rest of the room.

After the room is done, and I finish my room treatments and gear upgrades, I will have a group over to hear my maggies. I believe what I am doing will really improve the sound of those MG1.6's!! I will expect you to come!! [​IMG]

20. Alan Pummill

Howdy All,

I just bought a demo Marsh Sound Design A400s amp from Audio Advisor. I can return it within 30 days if it doesn't work out.

I am going to run my 1.6's with it along with my Marsh P2000t hybrid tube preamp. Although it has less power than my Earthquake Cinenova, I have a feeling that it is a more refined amp and will mate well with my maggies. I have done a lot of reading about this amp, and it is really well reviewed!!

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...%20Power%20Amp

I will hold on to the Cinenova until I have had a good chance to listen to the Marsh. From what I have read, my preamp/amp combo should sound sweet on the 1.6's!!

I will give you a full report when I can.
    BTW, I saved over $800 on the demo!!

Mike,

If you are still interested in my Earthquake Cinenova Grande...drop me a line. It may well be for sale shortly!!