What's new

(Un)Official Ghost Recon Thread (1 Viewer)

hwshi

Stunt Coordinator
something someone told me online last night during a seige game(haven't verified yet).is if you run without crouching you appear as a red dot on the opposing teams map.so make sure and crouch when running.
just in case you didn't know,there are sensors in some of the weapon kits,very handy!

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
I'm slowly working my way through the single player campaign now. I'm on Mission 6 I think, and I'm doing very well. Haven't lost a single guy, or had a casualty yet.
Of course I am on the easiest level, but right now I'm just concerned with unlocking everything. I'll up the difficulty when I need to. :)

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Has anyone unlocked the defend mode for any of the maps? Anyone played them?
Hey Todd. Yeah, I unlocked the mode for a few of the maps. It's kind of like a single-player siege--your team defends a base and the computer throws 'bots against you to try to capture the base. It's interesting on the Elite level--at one point I was down to one injured guy left (out of six) when I finally won. But the fact that it's single-player only is kind of a drag.
If you're interested in unlocking them, most of them have you maintaining a certain to-hit percentage during a Recon mission. Here's a little secret--if you can make it all the way to the extraction point without firing a shot, you will win (zero out of zero is 100%!). So if you have someone with high stealth, you can creep along and avoid everyone and finish the level. Sounds boring, but it's actually quite thrilling to be crouched down in a bush while a patrol of 6 guys walk by you so closely that you could reach out and grab their ankles. :eek:
Definitely good practice for using cover, as well as for spotting patrols early!

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Hey Dave,
The defend games sound like a pretty good diversion. I'll have to give them a shot when I finish the campaign.
I unlocked Ibrahim tonight and hopefully I'll have his sniper rifle unlocked tomorrow. :emoji_thumbsup:

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
My thinking is that the red dot appears when the enemy is in a "line of sight" of you or one of the members on your squad.

The only gripe I have with GR is that I wish there was a way to turn OFF the "proximity" warning red circle on your HUD. The game would be infinitely more complex and heart-pounding if you didn't know that there was an enemy within 40 meters unless you or your team sees or hears them.

Now, if one of you were to tell me that our armed forces actually have such a device, then that's fine. I want my soldiers to have the best technology available, but I don't want to rely on "intel" that I shouldn't have.

I've thought of covering up that spot on my screen with a post-it-note or something, as an experiment.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Carlos, the person hosting the room can turn off the indicator as part of their options. Just request it to be turned off in any room you go into. Unless you aren't playing it online, in which case, I don't know if you can turn it off :)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Playing with the sensor turned off is definitely more challenging. When playing co-op games online, I prefer it that way - it adds to the tension. I don't know if there is a way to turn it off in the single player mode.

James T

Screenwriter
Can someone explain why I can't see a single person online(Live) hosting a game?

Every time I search for a game, whether it's solo, co-op or team, I get back no results and it asks me if I want to create my own game.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
There's a bug with the game searching. You need to search multiple times and games will show up. Also, for co-op games, it seems to search better when you limit the players to a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 6.

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question about the online options in the game. When you bring up your online options and it says Appear Offline, does that mean by default you appear online? Or do you have to change the option so it reads Appear Online? I've looked in the manual and online a bit, and can't find any information about it.

Thanks,
Aaron

Ben Seibert

Stunt Coordinator
This confused me at first too. That doesn't display your status, but displays what you will change to when you select it. So if it shows Appear Offline, you are appearing online, but if you select it you will appear offline.

Jeff_S

Agent
Hi all,
I received Ghost Recon for my birthday but I've only had a chance to play it for an hour or two. Coming from a background of FPS where you only control one person as opposed to a squad (or two), I really struggled with the differences in control/strategy between squads vs. solo play. Any tips for a noob to the squad-based FPS genre? For example, should I just have the squad follow my lead or have them scout ahead and kind of lead from the rear? Advice of that nature would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe I'm just too used to the mindless rush-in-with-guns-a-blazing FPS games in the past. :D

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Ben and Todd, Thanks for clearing up my confusion about the online options. You'd think they'd have written something like that in the manual.

Aaron

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I finished the campaign tonight. I was a bit disappointed in the end movie but I feel good getting it under my belt. How do I access the bonus stage? It doesn't seem to come up under any of the quick missions.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
Todd,

I finished a campaign on Recruit level last night as well..yahoo!! Finally unlocked the Stronghold map.

The Stronghold map is a multiplayer map and can be played online. I don't think that you can play it as a single player as one of the quick missions.

This really can be a fun map with a lot of cooperative players. Taking hold of the base and defending it can be fun. On the other hand, it takes a lot of strategic planning and playing to get inside if the other team is dug in.

Maybe now, I'll start hosting some games.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
For those waiting on the upcoming patch, Brent from the official forums posted this:

Author: BrentW
Date: 01/22/03 10:13PM

I have news that I am sure will make me the least popular person on these boards. The update was kicked back to us from Microsoft. They request a minor change that has already been implemented on our end. The downside is that the update now needs to go through our testing again and then through Microsoft again. We hope to be able to resubmit to Microsoft by the end of the week so there is still a chance that the update may hit by the end of the month, but it may slip into early February.

RexRhino before you say it, yes there really is an update even though you think there is not and I can't wait until it is released so I can say "told you so."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks