Un-Happy B-Day (Please Read)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Mollura, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Joe Mollura

Joe Mollura Stunt Coordinator

Today is my 27th B-day, but due to events on Wed, it's not to happy. I came home early from work on Wed do find my apartment in 2-3 inches of water (not an enjoyable site to come home to). The rubber hose that feeds the cold water to the washing machine cracked and water was pouring in for many hours. I thinked I saved most of my equipment(my Rotel 1095 was on a shelf right on top of my carpet, between the shelf and the wheels on the amp I just made it). However, I'm not sure about my speakers. The bottom of my B&W 604 S2 were sitting in water. The bottom 2-3 inches on the cabinet are slightly warped. It's not anything massive but the wood is a bit rippled. This also happened to my sub (Paradigm PDR 12) but to a much lesser extent. The grill on my PDR 12 was wet almost halfway up, but you can't take off the grill so I don't know if the cone got any water damage. I hooked both of them up and they both sound find. Of course I going to try to claim these through insurance, but I'm not sure if I will be able to. What do you guys think? Do you think the only damage I did was cosmetic or is there some kind of damage internally that I'm not hearing?? PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK, ANY OPINIONS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED[​IMG]

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

It might sound fine right now but water damage doesn't always show up right away. Try claiming it thru your insurance because sooner of later something is going to go wrong because of the water damage. Good luck and happy birth-day.

3. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Joe,
    I'm very sorry to hear about your speakers. I'm glad to hear your amp survived though. I had my basement HT flood once because of the same reason. I was lucky, the water had stopped about 5 inches away from my left sub and speaker. How about that insurance claim. Have you tried it yet?

4. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Wow Joe, that sucks! I agree, I think an insurance claim is the way to go. BTW, Happy Birthday.

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Joe,

Sure hope your insurance covers it. Man, just thinking about it sends shivers up my spine. I'm going to change mine right away. As for your equipment, just keep playing it. With every hour of usage that goes by, you can feel more assured. I once spilled water over a TV. For about a day, nothing played. Then, suddenly, on the second day, all of a sudden it did start playing, just like it always had. Played well for a few years after that until I decided to replace it.

6. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

Sorry for your misfortune. I once had a supply line break, thankfully I was home. The thing I would be worried about is the moisture inside the wood creating a humid condition inside your speakers that could cause stuff to corrode like electrical parts. I dont know if this would work but I would maybe remove the lowest driver in each speaker and place some Dessicant inside your speaker. Damp rid makes self contained blue packets that way you wont have to worry about spilling any of the dessicant itself into your
    speaker. If you could place a big bag over your speakers this would speed up the process also. The key is get all the moisture out of the speaker. Dont do this too long or it could dry rot your drivers. Probably take a long time though. Just a little disclaimer attempt at your own risk.[​IMG] I definitely would try the insurance route also though. Thats why you pay those premiums. Good Luck

7. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Joe,
    What a bummer[​IMG] . I agree with Jason, you could have problems down the road. Also with this type of wood, moisture has a slower effect. Even after the wood drys it has started to seperate (broken bond) and weaken. the continued process will happen and extend up the speaker over time, especially as the bass hit the wood. You may start to hear a "rattle" due to vibration. "Layered" wood is great until damaged, then its the worst type of wood to have.
    I think your insurance will cover this unless you have some type of "funky" flood policy within the main body of the contract. If it were me I would ask for all that was soaked to be covered. I feel you should be able to make a run at them due to cosmetic reason if not the prior reason.
    Non-the-less you should report it in the main body of the claim. If they do not cover it due to cosmetic reason and they fall apart over time then you have documented the problem and it will be covered later. If you go this route I would do everything not to change insurance companies. However if you do this will be a "rider" claim on that policy and you can go back to that claim at a later date...they simply will not try to be as helpful.
    I am an executive with a small hotel company. When we have water damage in a guestroom due to water lines, sprinkler lines, flooded toilets, or simply storm damage I always claim the furniture. However our deductable is $10,000 so it has to be one hell of a situation. I have never been denied a furniture claim. Sure the drawers open but cosmetically a warped piece is not what we had placed in our guest room. The one thing to remember though is your deductable. Mine at home is $500 so that will be out-of-pocket.
    Good Luck.
    BTW an insurance claim at my house is what got me into HT. My unit that was destroyed by lightening was an old 2 channel Onkyo Integra that I would have never replaced. Man I'm glad it is gone.[​IMG]

8. Bill Wilkins

Bill Wilkins Agent

Joe,

I am an insurance agent and yes you do have a valid claim.
    It would be covered under sudden and accidental discharge of water. It would not be considered a flood as it developed inside of your apartment.

I would have you get your equipment checked out by an electronics repair facility and get documentation from them that the equipment is fried/damaged and have them give you estimates to repair. The most important thing you need to do is to immediately report the damage to your agent in the event that you have problems a few months down the road.

Cosmetic damage to your speakers is covered. The keyword is
    "damaged". You will, of course, be subject to the deductible on your policy. You need to check your policy to see if you have "personal property replacement coverage" or similar language. If you do, you will be able to replace your "used" gear with new equipment of similar quality. The insurance will also cover the cost to have the equipment checked out as most repair facilities charge for the service.

You also need to think beyond your system and think about the damage you caused to the apartment itself. This is especially true if the washer was yours and not furnished with the apartment. You should check with your agent about your coverage under your liability coverage for damage to the property of others(apartment owner).

9. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Joe,
    I hope that some good actualy comes out of this. I understand that you suffered a loss but sharing what happened to you will make other "renters" realize what a good investment renters insurance is. I wish that I would have had years ago when my apartment was broken into.

I have seen the type of damage that you incurred on a number of occasions and amazed that more people don't have this problem.

A simple way to prevent this type of flooding is to use Stainless Steel Braided Hoses. They cost a few bucks more than standard hoses but they last a lot longer.

10. Orin Dym

Orin Dym Stunt Coordinator

Even if you dry out the speakers, you could end up with a mold problem in them. I too hope your insurance covers everything for you. I had read so many instances of peoples washer supply lines breaking while they were on vacation or at work that when I moved into my current house a installed the braided stainless lines. Also, when we go away on vacation, I turn off the valves to the washer and dishwasher--just seems like too many people have had them break. My HT is upstairs so it is not going to flood, but water damage in the house is no fun.

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Just the fact that the speaker cabinets are warped would be enough for me. Plan on replacing them, and take the advice you've been given here, vis. insurance claims. Sorry about your less-than-happy birthday.

12. Joe Mollura

Joe Mollura Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies everyone.[​IMG] The insurance guy came today and took pictures of everything. I have to fill out the insurance claim forms and see what happens. He agreed on everything he saw, but the claim department makes the final decision. My speakers have been out of the humidity (my cousin owns the house and lives upstairs, which is where all my equipment is) so only time will tell. AS of right now there are no sonic problems but I sure hope my insurance claim works out. Wouldn't it be great if I came out of the situation with enough $ to get some new B&W S3 [​IMG]

13. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

That would be a sweet deal Joe. Make sure to let us know what the decision is. I recently dropped my cell phone in a lake(it was a wild one at St. Mary's Lake on Saltspring Island, BC) and it didn't work for 3 days but actually now works fine. The only problem is the battery doesn't charge up so I'm hoping that aspect is just the battery and not the phone.

But anyway, good luck!