What's new

UMD's Slowing Down (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I suspected we'd see this story soon with the amount of Products sitting on Shelves. All the Studios are cutting back their support. I guess the Novelty has worn off or as I have others have seen the Light and come to the conclusion that UMD's are price too high. Sony and the Studio if they were smart would imediately Drop UMD's to 9.99 SRP this would be the kick the format needs.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Well, it seems only Paramount, Warner and Sony so far. But yeah, a lower price sure would go a long way...

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Attached to a rumor article (IGN I think) about Sony possibly releasing an 8M PSP was a hypothesis that the "technologically savy" people who were buying UMDs have figured out that it's not that hard to rip UMDs from DVDs and that's what's cutting into sales.

I only need movies when I fly, so ripping a copy (of DVDs I own!) works for me. But I know I keep looking at the UMD rack to see if there are sales at the $10 price point. At that level I think I'd give up on rolling my own.

(Off topic, but interesting, the thought was that Sony might want to compete in the iPod video growth area and that 8M would give the PSP the capacity to make downloadable video a native use of the PSP.)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well the 8 Meg rumors been debunked I guess what it will be is a 4 meg Flash memory built into the unit and htey want to add a camera phone type camera to allow chat. I think Sony Really should just bundle the existing PSP with a 4 Meg Duo card and spend all that redesign money creating top shelf games. I think they are just diluting the waters here and the unit is losing popularity with gamers, and as far as a media device there are better choices out there. Now I would agree if they made all the UMD movies a $9.95 MSRP then I think they have something there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks