UMD Review - Van Helsing

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dave Scarpa, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Van Helsing (2003) 132 min PG-13 OAR 1:85:1 Universal

The Movie:

In a Way you can say Van Helsing is what's wrong with Movies today. A Highly touted Summer Blockbuster chuck full of CGI. Hugh Jackman Coming off his hits with Xmen 1 & 2 stars as the famous vampire hunter. Stephen Sommers directs and it's known from the DVD Supplements, and his Previous movies "The Mummy" and "The Mummy Returns" that he is a Classic Universal Monster fan. I am also and truth be told those monsters, made up of rubber appliances and dollar makeup have alot more personality than these computer generated ones. Still Sommers directs with enough panache that if one turns his mind off, you can have a pretty fun time. The movie sets Helsing up as kind of a 13th century Batman/James Bond. His "Batcave" the vatican and it even gives him a "Q" like gadget inventor. I almost expected to see Van Helsing drive out in an Astin Martin.

The UMD:

Universal Delivers the goods when it comes to UMD's. The Picture is perfect especially given the dark nature of the film, blacks are solid and the video looks cleaner than the DVD. Unlike Sony the menu's are cleverly designed and are more than just static images. Audio is Loud as you would expect in a special effects ladened picture as this.

The Extra:

Well besides trailers (are these even considered extra's anymore?) we get a nice set of outtakes and bloopers from the film. Given the length of the movie there probably was'nt enough space for anymore DVD extra's. I appreciate something thou and it's better than Sony's barren titles.

In Conclusion:

Van Helsing is a decent Summer Blockbuster and Hugh Jackman is worth watching. I almost forgot about the lovely Kate Beckinsale but maybe
    it was her awful Translyvanian accent that I'm trying to forget. Anyhow another good effort from Universal that you can probably find under $15
    if you look around.

2. Doug Graham

Doug Graham Extra

It's good to see Universal is sticking with OAR. Too bad I hate this piece of garbage movie with a burning passion. Thanks for the review, though.

I wish Sony and Fox would take a cue from Universal and Buena Vista. Kinda funny how the quality studios are reversed when it comes to UMD as opposed to DVD.

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I bought the DVD SE on a whim and stil haven't finished watching it! :b

4. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I agree doug. its the worse movie I have ever seen in my life.

JACOB

5. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George

Have you seen Blade III? I'd even put Ghostbusters II up there. [​IMG] [​IMG]

And I also agree that Van Helsing is unwatchable.

6. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    blade 3 and ghostbusters 2 are oscar winners in comparasions to van helsing.

JACOB