UMD MOVIE REVIEW: Team America: World Police

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by David Galindo, Aug 10, 2005.

1. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

[c]Team America: World Police (UMD)
    Region 1 • R • Dolby Digital • Available Now

[​IMG][/c]

Paramount jumps into the UMD format with three titles- Team America: World Police, Coach Carter and Without a Paddle. So far, I am more than disappointed with them, and it’s another damn shame.

Thoughts on the Movie

To watch this movie during the election year, with all the politics that was pretty much everywhere, was the way to enjoy this movie. I remember watching and being relieved of all the election crapola, and really loved all the jokes and jabs Trey Parker and Matt Stone did with all of the Hollywood actors and bad action movies. Seeing Michael Moore being blown up was worth the price of admission alone (yeah, I’m a Republican).

But now, watching this film… well, it doesn’t run well for a second viewing for me. I love all the details the miniatures have (the PSP screen cannot do this film justice, really), and the really awesome soundtrack by Harry Gregson-Williams really adds to the movie’s hilarity (the main theme song, “America, Fuck Yeah!” would be a great baseball anthem before the game, eh?) but watching the second time around, well, wasn’t quite as hilarious. Pretty much every single plot point moves slow and agonizingly bad (Peter Schorn at IGN DVD said it best with, “While imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, it also means that whatever negatives exist in your source material will transfer to your spoof as well.”), not to mention that this is certainly not Trey and Matt’s best work (that goes to the South Park Movie).

I dunno, I really liked the film in theaters, kinda on DVD, less so on PSP. But there is no doubt about it: TA:WP is one really good looking movie.

NOTE: you get the rated R version on this UMD, no unrated sex scenes here. Huh.

Video Quality

Paramount has decided to crop the 2.35 ratio down to 1.78, thereby filling the screen.

A note to some of the UMD studios out there- QUIT MESSING WITH THE OAR!

Anyways, what is left on the screen looks sharp and very detailed. The color is a bit off (not too vivid), but the video still looks good.

3.5/5
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Audio Quality

Well, at least the audio sounds great. There are some real great fake surrounds, and everything is loud and strong. I was impressed by the amount of surrounds, which works great for this action movie. Excellent audio!

5/5

Extras

And I thought Fox won the award for worst presentation.

Let me clarify. Fox never had chapter selections, and the only extras were previews. For a $30 movie, that’s unacceptable, but maybe I was being too harsh… because Paramount hardly has a menu at all. The menus look good at first glance- they are a direct copy of their DVD counterpart- but the only, I repeat, ONLY selections are “Play” and “Subtitles: On/Off.”

That’s it. No extras, no submenus, not even any trailers for other Paramount movies for heaven’s sake.

I can maybe let this slide if it not for the fact that this is a $30 movie. Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous, especially considering the extras on the DVD would have fit well on the UMD since each of them were 5-10 minutes in length.

Gawd, I hope Paramount does better with their TV on UMD releases.

0/5

Overall…

Man oh man, what a disappointment. $30 for the movie and absolutely NOTHING else. You barely get a menu, for cripes sake.

Universal offers great UMDs that keep the OAR, have lots of extras, great presentation, at $20. For Paramount to release something like this at $30 is just shameful. The great audio and pretty good video keeps this movie from getting a 1.5, but just barely.

2/5

2. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yep that's why I passed cropping, no extra's c'mon at $30 !
    I picked up the UR DVD Used for $8.00. That really throws a cold bucket of water in your face. I have never seen this film and was going to pass on it for the exact opposite reasons you liked it, but I'm gonna check it out at some point.

3. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Wow, $8? DVD is better this time around anyways. [​IMG]