Umberto D. cover art discrepancy

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Stas T, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Stas T

Stas T Stunt Coordinator

Sep 2, 2001
    Just bought Criterion's release of Umberto D. and was disappointed to discover the cover art for the DVD differs from that posted on the Criterion website.

The posted cover is a tight profile of Umberto, bottom cropped at the lower edge of his nose and ear, and with the upper portion of the frame, above his hat, a background building, out of focus.

The actual DVD cover is the same shot but moved up (showing more on the bottom of the image and less on top) and enlarged, so the top of the image now falls near the top of Umberto's hat, and the lower edge of the image is now slightly below his ear. The right edge now almost completely crops out his nose.

Was this a last-minute change by Criterion, or a printing mistake? Anyone see any Umberto D. discs with the cover art as posted on the the Criterion site?
  2. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

May 19, 2001

Actual cover

Criterion often make minor alterations to their artwork between what appears on their site and what appears on store shelves (compare the covers of The Horse's Mouth, Les Dames du Bois de Boulogne, I Am Curious and Hopscotch on Criterion's site with those on DVD Empire).

For what it's worth, I think the more centralised Umberto D cover is preferable, and I'm glad that's what they've gone with.