What's new

Umax Scanner recognized by XP, but not the software (1 Viewer)

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I've got a UMAX 3400 and have recently upgraded to Windows XP Pro. UMAX just released an XP patch so I don't have to use the crappy XP scanner interface any longer. Or, so I hoped.
What I've had to do is download newer software from their website (glad I did that a several days ago, they arent letting you download it anymore; they want you to pay for the software on a CD-ROM! How dare they? :D ) and i also had to download an XP patch.
All the software installs fine and I guess the XP patch is doing what it is supposed to do. The problem is that the new software from UMAX does not recognize the scanner at all, although XP does. I can go to My Computer and there is a selection for the UMAX 3400 scanner. If i disconnect the USB or unplug the power it goes away and reappears when i connect it back. (This never helps the UMAX software to recognize the scanner though).
I keep thinking that there must be some sort of conflict since XP can see the scanner but the other software cannot. Anybody have experience with these scanners or maybe encountered a similar problem?

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I clean installed XP, so there was no original software to install. I've seen this link before, but it does say something I don't understand.
After installing UMAX software, you may find that a Microsoft version has also been installed. We recommend removing the Microsoft version.
Microsoft version of what? I might try calling UMAX tomorrow. :)

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
Good luck with this, and please post if you find a solution. My uncle's been battling the same issue for a few months now, and UMAX has been less than cooperative in seeking a resolution.

T

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I called UMAX this morning and once I explained the problem, the rep told me that this was the #1 reason people called. He continued to tell me the problem was that these UMAX scanners have an very specific install sequence, that I of course did not know about and therefore, did not follow.
  1. Install Software
  2. Reboot
  3. Attatch Scanner[/list=1]

I had the choice of formatting my hard drive :eek: or getting him to send me a .doc file that described how to resolve the problem in detail. I got the .doc file.

Why these idiots don't post this on their web site is beyond my simple mind's comprehension.

Thom,

You must have VistaScan 3.75. I did not as my scanner came with 3.70. Luckily, I downloaded 3.75 off the web site when it was free! First you have to follow the document that describes backing up and removing everything UMAX and scanner related. (I would be glad to send this file to you Thom. Send me an e-mail if you'd like it.) Then you must install VistaScan 3.75 WITHOUT re booting as the software will request. Then install the XP patch (available from the website), reboot, and finally attach the scanner.

I have not done this yet, but will attempt it later this evening. I'll post results since it sounded like all UMAX scanner users will have this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks