Um...Columbia!!! *slaps ur hand many many many times*

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Carr, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Christopher Carr

Christopher Carr Stunt Coordinator

Hello?! What has been going on with your DVD releases? Upcoming titles including TO GILLIAN ON HER 31ST BIRTHDAY and MIDNIGHT CLEAR are going to be in FULLFRAME only?!?!?! What happened to your dual releases? Are these titles only like for people who don't like widescreen?!!? I have been waiting for MIDNIGHT CLEAR ever since I saw it and boy what an excellent movie it is! But I was looking for a nice widescreen transfer. I find out today that it is coming out but only in full frame?! You should be ashamed of urself...Many grrrrs are made towards your direction!

2. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I agree. Columbia, what is going on?

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I think it's going to be funny when all the full frame copies of A Midnight Clear are collecting dust in some wharehouse. Columbia, do you even bother with research? Did you not step outside the box and bother to find out if John Q. Public has even heard of this film? You say that the market determines which films get full frame treatment but how can that be in this case (or any case, for that matter)? The only market for A Midnight Clear was the OAR crowd and you just lost all of those sales. Good job. Maybe next time you come across a title that you're not sure whether there is interest in it or not, you could hand it off to Criterion and let them issue it. In fact, why don't you just get out of the video industry all together? Your ignorant strong-arming of the film buying public has grown very tiresome.
    Bruce

4. Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner Stunt Coordinator

I would not be surprised if their was not some re-organization over at Columbia (maybe around the time of the Digital Authoring news).

Many of the DVDs coming from Columbia have had quality control issues - wrong specs on the back cover (stating widescreen and fullscreen version - when only widescreen appeared), DTS included (Groundhog Day SE), noticeable change in the quality and quantity of extra features, ...

It seems that they are going on some sort of cost cutting spree.

Of all of the studios, Columbia does not have a huge marketable library (compared to Universal, Fox, Warner and MGM). A lot of their product is catalog product - not much in current features - and even their back catalog does not have a HUGE assortment of blockbusters. Those that are need a lot of restoration (e.g., Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on the River Kwai, ...).

This fullscreen tactic seems like a cost cutting attempt to pull in more dollars. The only problem is that J6P usually does not rent avant garde films that they are releasing fullscreen, so I don't know where they expect to pull in major revenues. If not, they would have release a WS/P&S release like they have been.

Until the studios understand that Family Fare DOES NOT MEAN CHEAP RELEASES AND FULLSCREEN - we probably will expect more of this.

I don't understand why they believe that Family Fare means Fullscreen.

Did someone from Warner Bros. migrate over to Columbia?

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    How hard can it be to simply matte a few films?

...and these titles are not going to make a lot of money because their target audience is not going to want open matte transfers of these films!

6. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

We can hope that the people at Columbia are just clueless (they can be replaced) rather than this being indicative of a general trend amongst the studios.

No OAR = No Sale

(no exceptions)

7. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Like everyone else, I am an enthusiastic fan of A Midnight Clear whose money you will be leaving on the table with this non-OAR release. It went from a "must-buy" to a "wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole".
    I don't buy non-OAR DVDs. Period.
    C'mon Columbia, get a clue.

8. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

If this is being done for cost cutting, then why are the films being released in widescreen over in the UK?

Either way this is a really bad marketing decision that should be corrected right away.

NO OAR = NO SALE!!!

9. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    No OAR = No Sale!

10. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

No OAR - No Sale
    Heck, Columbia, I'll go one step further and won't buy ANY of your products if you continue a fullscreen-only release slate. We all had to tolerate enough pan & scan in the 80's, thank you very much.

11. Bruce Hedtke

12. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I agree with Bruce and Will, BUT I am going to get the Black Hawk Down DVD, I love that film too much.

13. Bruce Hedtke

I love Black Hawk Down as well and it would be a shame to miss out on that or any other great Columbia title in the future. I'm not on embargo mode as of yet, but each new announcement by Columbia seems to pour more dirt on their grave. I am willing to give them benefit of the doubt that they had a moments weakeness but they sure as hell had better have a moment of clarity soon or I *will* discontinue my purchasing from them.

Bruce

14. Rain

Rain Producer

Just in case anyone missed it over in Software, there's a petition going on regarding this very topic. Click the link in my sig. [​IMG]

15. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Columbia, as much as I would love to have A Midnight Clear on dvd, I will NOT buy it unless a widescreen version is included on the disc.