Ulzana's Raid

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Hertzberg, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Mar 6, 2001
    Being a big fan of Burt Lancaster, I would love to add this title to my collection. Unfortunately, Universal licensed it out to Goodtimes. It can be had for a low price but the rewards are meager as well--pan & scan video only and no other extras to speak of.
    What was the original aspect ratio for the film? Is this DVD worth a $5-7 price tag?
    Is anyone else interested in seeing Universal revisit this title in its OAR? MGM has already put out OAR, generously priced versions of Burt's other two final westerns, Lawman and Valdez Is Coming. I hope Universal follows suit.
  2. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

May 11, 2001
    Bob Graham
    I'd buy an new anamorphic version in a heartbeat! This is a great western (and a thinly-veiled allegory for Vietnam) and features one of Lancaster's best performances. I don't think we'll see a remaster anytime soon, but I'd love to see it.

And speaking of Robert Aldrich westerns controlled by Universal (which ULZANA'S RAID is), I'd also like to see the Big U release THE LAST SUNSET, part western, part Douglas Sirk-style melodrama with Rock Hudson, Dorothy Malone, Kirk Douglas and Carol Lynley.