What's new

Ulzana's Raid on DVD (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Robert Aldrich was an interesting, albeit workmanlike, director that made some very good pictures (Kiss Me Deadly, The Dirty Dozen), some fine entertainments that showed his ability to make fairly diverse films ( The Longest Yard, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?, The Flight of the Phoenix, Emperor of the North Pole) and always brought out something interesting in Burt Lancaster (Vera Cruz, Twilight's Last Gleaming and of course the film I'm posting about Ulzana's Raid).

Ulzana's Raid is not currently available on DVD and I believe was only released in full frame format with a lousy transfer by Good Times Video. This low budget disc now sells for $670.00 on Amazon, I've seen it and believe me it is not worth 67 cents. The film itself though is very good and should get a proper DVD release but for some reason remains unavailable (as does the much sought after Twilight's Last Gleaming) and I'm not sure why this is.

Does anybody know if there is a rights issue with this film and who actually holds the rights at this time?
Edited by Reggie W - 7/20/2009 at 04:35 pm GMT

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
There was a thread about Ulzana's Raid many years ago. As I recall, several of our friends overseas said the U.K. and Australian releases were properly done, although there was concern there might have been a snippet of film censored due to an instance of cruelty to horses. However, in the end, I believe our friends who watched the Australian release concluded it was in fact intact.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by Dave B Ferris

There was a thread about Ulzana's Raid many years ago. As I recall, several of our friends overseas said the U.K. and Australian releases were properly done, although there was concern there might have been a snippet of film censored due to an instance of cruelty to horses. However, in the end, I believe our friends who watched the Australian release concluded it was in fact intact.

Yes, the UK disc is cut for horse falls, the Australian disc is not.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The region 2 UK disc is cut for 2 or perhaps 3 horse falls that render the actions confusing and cause abrupt jumps in the film.
Aside from that the UK edition is a proper transfer, anamorphic and in the proper aspect ratio,
I have an extra copy sitting here, unplayed, if anyone wants it, PM me.

The BBC aired an alternative edit with a couple of scenes and several important snippets missing from the theatrical release.
This was said to be Burt Lancaster's preferred version of the film.
I have an off-air recording someone sent to me.

Like Universal's Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here, Ulzana's Raid is that rarity, an historically well-informed and historically intelligent western that deals responsibly with a controversial topic.
It's been MIA much too long and merits a full-blown Special Edition.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'd love to have this film on DVD or Blu-ray. An intense western. However, I don't think I would be able to stomach the cuts. Just checked on ezydvd.com and the film is unavailable. Sucks.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I have an extra copy of the region 2 disc from the U.K. that I would like to get rid off.
It's free to someone who is multi-region enabled.
Provide sufficient stamps to send it to you or reimburse me the postage.
PM me with Ulazana's Raid in the subject line.

MikeIMH

Grip
I feel I must add my two cents worth in support of Ulzana's Raid. This is a superior Western, which if it not make my list of ten best westerns of all time, it would certainly be on my top twenty. It contains an excellent performance by Burt Lancaster and deserves to be in every Western film lovers library.

It needs to be released properly on DVD; a Special Edition would be more in keeping with the pedigree of this film. Dare I even dream of a BluRay release?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Nobody wants my extra copy of the region 2 edition?
Sometimes one can't give things away.

I agree with MikeIMH that Ulzana's Riad is a superior western and belongs in every film lovers library.
I rank it in the same class as They Died With Their Boots On, Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Rio Grande, and Glory.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Originally Posted by Reggie W

Well, at least the 4 of us have an interest...
I don;t understand the lack of interest in this superb western.
If more people had seen it there'd be endless discussion.
It's directed by Robert Aldrich at the peak of his powers, and written by Alan Sharp, the brilliant curly-headed Scott who also wrote The Last Run "in the tradition of Bogart" for John Huston, The Hired Hand for Peter Fonda, Night Moves for Arthur Penn, Rob Roy for Michael Caton-Jones, the forthcoming mini-series of Ben-Hur for ABC, and several other seriously good films. It was photographed by Aldrich's regular collaborator the great Joseph Biroc in the Coronado National Forest of Arizona and the Valley of Fire National Park in Nevada on rugged terrains that are exactly right for a story about a cavalry conflict with Apaches. The film also boasts Burt Lancaster's finest performance and contrasts his world-weary experience with Bruce Davison's young lieutenant who, by the time the film is over, is well.on the road to becoming just like him. The films invests the White Mountain Apaches with dignity and intelligence, and pulls no punches about the realities of frontier violence. Ulzana's Raid isn't just another western; it's an exciting adventure film and an historical drama of the highest order.

How's that for an enthusiastic review.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks