Ulysses - Bloomsday Centenary

Discussion in 'Movies' started by John Watson, Mar 9, 2004.

1. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

By coincidence I had just received my order of the DVD of the 1967 movie ULYSSES based on James Joyce's novel, when I heard on the radio that the book itself was actually first published in 1904.

(I'm tempted to call it the original 24, but maybe that would be too low a form of humour for even me [​IMG])

Anyway, as someone said, there will be a day this coming June which can be known as Bloomsday.

I took a quick look at the disk, and it seems to be as entertaining now (and mercifully, much shorter than the book), as it was when I first saw the film in the 1980's.

A few months ago there was a short thread on art films, where I had mentioned this film. I don't know if the DVD is in short supply (I had to wait 4-5 weeks for Amazon to get it to me), but I thought someone else might be interested.

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

FWIW, it was actually first published in 1922, but the events in the book took place on June 16, 1904.

DJ

3. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Thanks, that sounds much more likely, must have had a pillow in my ear when I heard it. [​IMG]