What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mario Camerini’s Ulysses is a fine if occasionally flawed rendition of Homer’s epic poem The Odyssey.

Ulysses (1954)

Released: 01 Oct 1955
Rated: Not Rated
Runtime: 94 min

Director: Mario Camerini
Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, History

Cast: Kirk Douglas, Silvana Mangano, Anthony Quinn, Rossana Podestà
Writer(s): Franco Brusati (screenplay), Mario Camerini (screenplay), Ennio De Concini (screenplay), Hugh Gray (screenplay), Ben Hecht (screenplay), Ivo Perilli (screenplay), Irwin Shaw (screenplay), Homer (poem)

Plot: A movie adaptation of Homer's second epic, that talks about Ulysses' efforts to return to his home after the end of ten years of war.

IMDB rating: 6.7
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Studio Canal...

Continue reading...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thank you for your fine review. I thought this BD was going to have it in widescreen too?
According to the commentary, this was the last of the standard ratio epics shot in Italy. It was filmed in 1953 right when Cinemascope hadn't quite made it to Italian shores. Kirk and Anthony asked NY Post critic Wanda Hale who was visiting the set if she had yet seen The Robe and she had only seen one scene on a publicity junket, not the whole movie.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Very well-done review, Matt! You have certainly given readers enough information for them to make an informed decision about whether or not to purchase this release.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Good review. Many thanks. I'm a great admirer of Silvana Mangano and hope more of her movies make it to Blu-ray: Mambo, The Tempest, Five Branded Women, and the one with two names co-starring Richard Conte and Jo Van fleet.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Thank you for the great review. I'm looking forward to adding this one to my collection. I've only ever seen this film via the old DVD that wasn't very good image wise.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Mangano is one of the great screen beauties who could also act(see De Sica's Gold of Naples.) Whatever happened to them?

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I must say that, while the colors are vibrant, I found the restoration a bit underwhelming. It does Improve on the murky and muddy DVD but I was expecting a better presentation.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The run time I listed is what's on this disc, not what the original run time might have been. Or do the IMDB and the Kino liner notes both have it wrong?

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I must say that, while the colors are vibrant, I found the restoration a bit underwhelming. It does Improve on the murky and muddy DVD but I was expecting a better presentation.
I'm surprised it was not released in Widescreen. I don't have it, but I saw the screen shots on DVD Beaver a while back. Not that great. I never saw the film.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I'm surprised it was not released in Widescreen. I don't have it, but I saw the screen shots on DVD Beaver a while back. Not that great. I never saw the film.
Especially given the era it was released in. The audio has always had that tinny quality of post-production audio. be Aware that, if you buy this, the synching ‘issue‘ isn’t that at all; the Dialog has ALWAYS had lip flap due.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have the German version and the picture quality seems to be exactly the same i.e. very good. I'm glad to have the Kino in any case because it has the added value of an audio commentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks