Ulysess,starring Sean Bean,what are the chances for this movie to be made ?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Xenia Stathakopoulou, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

I really liked Troy , and i would be ecstatic if Warner decided to make this film.I know Troy didnt really make much in the US, but here overseas it turned up more than a profit.So what do you guys think, will it ever happen? Im getting tired of just having the Kirk Douglas version of Ulysess.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I've never seen the original (though I did notice it was a film watched in Cinema Paradiso [​IMG]). Is Ulysses supposed to be the same guy as Odysseus?

Of course, if they follow in the same suit as Troy, the story would be a lot less interesting without Gods, a cyclops, the Sirens, sea monsters, etc. [​IMG]

(EDIT: Just learned that Ulysses in Odysseus in Latin :b).

3. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Ray,yes its the same person.It would be impossible for this movie to follow the same suit as Troy because that story relies heavilly on mythological monsters and gods.Troy was more about the battles , so they were able to get away with it,but for the oddyssey its impossible.

4. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I'd pay to see it. I actually read the Odyssey for the first time about a year ago. The finale with the suitors could kick definite ass. [​IMG]

Sean Bean's awesome as well. [​IMG]

There was an NBC miniseries version a while back with Armand Assante. Anyone know if it was any good?

5. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Ive seen the nbc version from a few years back, personally i prefer the Kirk Douglas version that i have on dvd, very chessey .[​IMG] The nbc version was a bit dull.

6. andrew markworthy

I prefer the James Joyce version. [​IMG]

7. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I'd go see it! I loved Sean Bean in Troy.

Peter Jackson needs to do it. Before or after The Hobbit.

I've never read the source material *hangs head*. Everything I know about The Odyssey I learned from the Coen Brothers. [​IMG]

8. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

While I'd like to see a Odyssey with Sean Bean, who is a fine actor though without enough to do in Troy, I wouldn't like it to be made with the same mindset. Who wants to see a movie of The Odyssey without monsters and gods? Would anyone want to see the Cyclops as a really tall man and not a giant one-eyed monster? Certainly not me!

On something of a tangent, I wonder why movies like Troy and the upcoming King Arthur are taking the de-mythologizing route? Why, with all the success of movies like Lord of the Rings, do they think audiences want the historically dubious "real" story instead of the much cooler myth?

9. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Well, there have been many, many film version of the Arthurian legends and I'm sure everyone's familiar with the Trojan War so producers are maybe looking for a hook and a fresh way to tell the same stories.

10. michael_mo

michael_mo Stunt Coordinator

I think "the odyssy" would do a lot better at the US box office than "the iliad" i.e. "Troy" has been doing. For one, there are more substories that fill the typical american viewers need for constant intrigue. Also, the Odyssy is the greatest mythology story ever. Much more fantasy and intrigue than all the other 'myths' combined. This one will be made, sooner or later, especially with the success of LOTR.

#1. they need to find the right music composer. I heard both the original score and the actual score for "Troy" and neither belong in the same genre with recent masterpiece scores such as LOTR and even the HP films. Pay Howard Shore anything he wants to do the score for the Odyssy and the film will be 1000x better. Sure wish he would have done "troy".

#2. Keep Sean Bean for Odysseus. He has proven his worth in LOTR and the limited role he had in Troy.

#3. Type cast the characters better. I still cant find Brad Pitt and Eric Bano (sp?) as great warriers. Good actors, yes, but look at them.... would you believe them to be the great warriors of their armies. Find the next Arnold, or the next Marc Singer, i.e. someone whose body and mannerisms fit the role of a warrior.

11. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

The answer is simple. Shortly after Sept 2001, the general shift was for "action" movies in the pipeline to be put on the shelf because they dealt with the good guy(s) vs. "terrorists". If you throw in the fact that Gladiator made major $ the year before in 2000, then there was a logical conclusion for those in hollywood...we can make our action movies set in the past, avoid the political climate, and still make a lot of money. They don't care about the source material or myths (as evidenced by Troy and King Arthur this year), they are just vehicles to make an action movie.

Regards,
    Dan

12. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Bana was excellent in Troy and certainly did kick ass.

13. michael_mo

michael_mo Stunt Coordinator

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bana was excellent in Troy and certainly did kick ass.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ray, i never implied Bana did a bad job. Actually, i thought he had a great acting performance.
    But, I just cant look at him and think of him as a great slayer of men. Hector was one of the great warriers of the Iliad and had 100s of kills. I just cant look at Bana and picture that great warrier. Royal and Prince-like, yes... he fits, but not the beater of men.