1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UltraViolet is shutting down

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Brian L, Jan 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I think it's coming. I'm not sure if there's a particular plan yet, and I think it's likely that the ISPs will try to do it slowly and in small increments so that most people won't notice right away, but I think we'll see some version of tiered pricing depending on what kind of services or access or data you want to use. For some European countries that didn't have a version of net neutrality, they already have this kind of pricing - when you sign up for an ISP, the ISP has different levels of service and it's illustrated which streaming providers can be accessed at each tier of service from the ISP.

Before net neutrality did exist in the U.S., Netflix was on record as having paid extra to ISPs in order to guarantee that Netflix video content always played well, which is why some people (myself included) had experiences at the beginning of the decade where Netflix would always play instantly without any buffering, but other services like Hulu had frequent buffering issues with rampant quality drops throughout.

Right now, I think the bigger question might be - will Netflix (and similar services) go back to paying ISPs directly for better service so that they can provide a good experience to their customers (and advertise that their services always work, hassle free), or will these costs be passed on directly to the consumer? I can imagine a scenario where a company like Netflix will pay more so that their customers have a seamless experience, while lesser services may not be willing to do so or financially able to. And if that's how it plays out, that'll probably take down a few services. If I have to pay extra to make Amazon Prime stream properly, but Netflix streams properly without any extra effort from me, I'd probably cancel Amazon and keep Netflix. (Just an example.)

B-ROLL likes this.
  2. demy

demy Extra

Bill
    Apparently, if you have FandangoNow and Hulu linked to UV, your library (regardless of where you bought/redeemed your movies) will show up in both after UV shuts down. That's important, because...

When I recently decided to go digital and start shrinking my disc collection, I assumed that the retailers were all streaming the best print provided by the studio. Oddly, that's not the case. Each retailer has its own print, which can vary in aspect ratio, picture quality and audio quality. For that reason, I try to buy films on Movies Anywhere, since I know I'll need to sample each participating retailer's print to determine which one is best. And you can stream from MA's own site, which often has the superior print.

On occasion, if I have no other option, I will buy non-MA movies on Prime Video.

It shouldn't be this challenging for the consumer.

3. Message #23 of 36 Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    So what does this mean for me? I've never really understood the UV VU VUDU UVVU alphabet soup.

I have Movies Anywhere linked to all my accounts. Do I need to do anything? Am I going to lose movies? UV is linked to VUDU and Fandango.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Nope, as long as you have everything linked to MA, you're good to go.

DaveF likes this.
  5. Message #25 of 36 Feb 6, 2019
    demy

demy Extra

Bill
    The linking to MA doesn't help if the movie is UV only, unless I'm missing something. But as I mentioned above, as long as you have FandangoNow and Vudu linked to UV, you'll be able to access your UV-only movies through one of them.

6. Message #26 of 36 Feb 6, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    I have my UV account linked to the following:
    Vudu
    Fandango Now
    Paramount
    Sony
    WB Movies All Access or Flixster

I have the following accounts linked to MA:
    iTunes
    Vudu
    Amazon Prime Video
    Fandango Now
    Google Play

7. demy

demy Extra

Bill
    You'll want to link FandangoNow to UV in order to have that as a choice once UV shuts down. FandangoNow sometimes has much better prints of UV films than Vudu.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    See my previous post!

9. demy

demy Extra

Bill
    It originally only said Vudu was linked to UV, so you edited it, right? You're all set then.

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I wasn't aware that Hulu participated in UV or MA.

11. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    I've never redeemed a digital copy code. The codes are still with each disc. Is there one central registry where I can log my codes (those that are still effective)? I use Amazon Prime and have a VUDU app on my LG TV; I've not yet created a VUDU account. My iTunes account is only for music I've burned from my own CDs. I don't have Apple TV or Roku or Firestick and would prefer not to get them.

12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I use https://moviesanywhere.com/redeem for the Movies Anywhere studios (Disney, Fox, Universal, Warner Bros., Columbia/Sony) and https://www.vudu.com/content/redeem.html for everything else.

13. demy

demy Extra

Bill
    Corrected! Should have been Vudu. What's a couple of letters among friends?

Scott Merryfield and Bill McCamy like this.
  14. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I should have all my ultraviolet codes registered with Vudu already so hopefully there will not be any issues after Ultraviolet goes away! Only have two streaming services that I hardly ever use but the only reason I have it is to have a digital backup for some of my library.

15. Robert Crawford

Robert
  16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Ultraviolet as a concept had a lot more utility for me, since it also worked for TV content.

But Disney's so much larger than the other studios these days that its refusal to participate essentially doomed it. It also never had the retailer support that Movies Anywhere enjoys.

Josh Steinberg likes this.