What's new

Ultraviolet Demystified (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
While the core concept of UltraViolet is unique, here's the reason why it fails.

The right to an UltraViolet movie is perpetual. Once you download a movie you will be able to play it forever (as long as your player still works and remains registered to your UltraViolet account).
You can have your movie forever as long as you remain a member of the service and the service stays alive.

Ask people who have DivX (Circuit City not the media format) DVD players. They'll be around forever. sure that's what Blockbuster thought too...

The biggest boon to Ultraviolet has nothing to do really with the service. It's those areas that this faq doesn't really get into It's in retroactive content rights, licensing agreements, and the use of keynets. Anyway, the faq presented here is interesting with some snide remarks at a few other providers, but it's mostly things that you can gather at a quick blush almost anywhere. UltraViolet is a unique initiative in it's end goal - but what makes it unique is probably what also kills it.. that is in order for UltraViolet to even consider working, studios had to agree with the place of ownership. And those changes will long outlive whatever Ultraviolet offers.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by mattCR

While the core concept of UltraViolet is unique, here's the reason why it fails.

You can have your movie forever as long as you remain a member of the service and the service stays alive.

Ask people who have DivX (Circuit City not the media format) DVD players. They'll be around forever. sure that's what Blockbuster thought too...

The biggest boon to Ultraviolet has nothing to do really with the service. It's those areas that this faq doesn't really get into It's in retroactive content rights, licensing agreements, and the use of keynets. Anyway, the faq presented here is interesting with some snide remarks at a few other providers, but it's mostly things that you can gather at a quick blush almost anywhere. UltraViolet is a unique initiative in it's end goal - but what makes it unique is probably what also kills it.. that is in order for UltraViolet to even consider working, studios had to agree with the place of ownership. And those changes will long outlive whatever Ultraviolet offers.

Great post but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a fail. I dont see this as being any different than Itune's. If I purchase media from Itunes that registered in my account if Itune's goes away (like DIVX and Blockbuster)?? Hundreds of Millions of people are using Itune's, hardly a failure. Im sure Ultraviolet will serve it purpose. There will be people who enjoy using this new way of getting media and others, well the old fashion way of physical media will still do them just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks