Ultrasonic pest control devices

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Allan Mack, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

2. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    They don't work. I'll look for some links, but every independent test I've seen of these shows that they're nothing but snake oil.

3. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

I'm with Brian... snake oil.

My brother bought a couple of those things, and all that happened was that it made the cats even weirder than ever, instead of helping with the flea problem. [​IMG]

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    All I know is that I had an ant problem. I was very skeptical of these things, but my mom (who buys all kinds of worthless junk [​IMG]) had two of them and insisted I at least try one. I plugged the puppy in and two days later there wasn't an ant to be found in the house. I've used them ever since and apart from the (very rare) single insect here or there I don't have the kinds of problems with insects that I've had in all the previous years that I lived in Florida and places I've lived where I observed bugs before moving in proved pretty much bug-free after I had hooked up my little electronic bug zapper. (At the moment I can't get to the wall-oulet where the thing is or I'd give you the name. I just had some stuff delivered and all of the big, heavy boxes are against the wall where the bug machine lives.)

Regards,

Joe

5. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Snake-Oil.........I'm a self-employed Pest Control Operator.

It's a common occurance for ants to be out in full force one day, but disappear completely the next. That may explain your experience because ANTS (and other insects) DON'T HAVE EARS to hear an ultrasonic frequency.

6. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

We had a horrible flea problem years ago, and although I'd read that these weren't necessarily all they were cracked up to be, I decided to try them. Less than two weeks later we were flea-free, and haven't had a flea problem since.

7. ceejay2005

ceejay2005 Auditioning

Pest services in Arizona are no different. From bees and cockroaches to scorpions and spiders, the Arizona climate contributes to a number of hardy pests that can be difficult - and costly - to eliminate. That's why finding a pest control company that knows how to work with the land and the weather to find a lasting solution is the best choice you can make for your home and family. phoenix pest control

8. KevinGress

KevinGress Supporting Actor

I see most here have tried them for insects but I'd bought a couple a few year ago that claimed to chase off rodents. Didn't work for me, still had a mouse proble.

9. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    Wouldn't this be fairly easy to check out? Grab a sound meter from the HT toolkit and set up an aquarium with one half sound insulated and the other half exposed to the device. Put in some insects and see if they move to the sound resistant side of the aquarium.

10. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Sounds reasonable, but unfortunately, there are people with an attitude of "science? I don't need stinkin' science. Scientists don't know everything".