Ultraman quality?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan Krantz, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Bryan Krantz

Bryan Krantz Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone gotten the new Ultraman set? I have a...er... homebrew of the series that the video transfer is not of the best quality and wondered if this is as state of the art as other 60s shows brought back to life on DVD. I don't want to buy it if it is just "okay."

2. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

3. Mick Tees

Mick Tees Second Unit

I'm enjoying my set. The color, sound, transfers all look solid to me. Lots of cool extras too. One of the bonus features was the original American opening which I really enjoyed.

I kind of wish they would have kept that for each episode. Just the way we watched it growing up but it was originally a Japanese production so I understand why they open each episode with the way they aired in Japan.

If you watched this series growing up and loved it like I did it's a no brainer...

4. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I was actually wondering about that. I was hoping for these in their original form as well. A little disappointing. I'll replace my bootlegs anyway.

5. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Anyone who's already picked up Ultraman Series 1 Volume 2 care to comment as to whether the video and/or audio quality is any better or worse than S1V1? Are there episodes that are still missing the English dub dialogue in some scenes like in the first set?

Thanks!

6. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Aren't those scenes with missing dialogue ones that never had any english dialogue dubbed in the first place?

7. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Stunt Coordinator

BCI has tried to pass that off as fact, but as has been stated elsewhere, all the dialogue was dubbed into English. BCI simply used incomplete bootlegs to produce their discs, as Tsuburaya has all the complete elements and audio tracks.

8. Mick Hyperion

Mick Hyperion
    I have the Volume 2 set and have only made it through the first disc so far. One thing I've noticed is that the narration which opens each episode has the original Japanese dialogue with English subtitles. Volume 1 had the English dubbed narration. I wasn't paying strict attention while it was on to notice if every episode on disc one was like that and if the other narrations interspersed through the episodes are also subtitled. I'll watch more and report back.

9. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

I noticed that too (so far--I'm still on disc one); I also noticed that the opening title sequence on all the episodes (so far--still on disc one [​IMG]) is the English-lyric version...but still with the Japanese/Kanji credits. (IIRC the syndicated version shown here in the U.S. doesn't show Kanji credits).

Another thing--is it just me, or does it appear that the opening title sequence (where various monsters are shown) appears to be zoomed in just a smidge? What I mean is that, unless my eyes are deceiving me, I notice that the images of the monsters shown seem cutoff a bit around the edges...think overscan, for lack of a more better/proper description on my part. And call me lazy for not popping in my S1V1 disc to confirm this for sure, but I'm fairly certain that the title sequences on S1V2 are indeed zoomed in. If this is indeed the case, I'd be curious if this slight zoom-in carries over into the main scenes themselves?