What's new

Ultra short throw projection screens (1 Viewer)

BOATWHITE93

Auditioning
Real Name
Mathias
Hi boys. Just bought the new Samsung SP-LSP9TF, and I am currently waiting for it to arrive. It can project up to 130 inches, which is pretty nice. My question is... Do you guys know any companies that produces Ultra short throw projection screens up to this size, and with the same quality as for example the 120 inches ALR CLR starbright screen from elitescreens (Aeon CLR® Series | Short Throw Projector Screen - Elite Screens.

I cannot decide whether I should buy the 120 inches, which I know has been getting good reviews on youtube. But I really want those extra 10 inches if possible, but they don't produce screens designed for Ultra short throws higher than 120 inches, at least not to my knowledge. What do you guys think?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hi Mathias,

UST screens all have a specific design to reject overhead light and only reflect light from beneath. This is only necessary if you plan to watch with the lights on, so if you'll be watching in the dark you could save a lot of money. Here is a great article that summarizes this: https://www.projectorcentral.com/How-UST-Screens-Let-You-See-the-Light.htm

Most ultra short throw projectors have slightly less light output, but yours does not.

What sort of room will you be setting this up in? Will it be light controlled, or have windows and overhead lights turned on?

Here are some basic tips:
  1. If you are watching with ambient light (windows, sconces etc) and not in a dark room, you will want a UST screen like the Aeon CLR with a grey material to enhance contrast.
  2. If you are watching in a dark room that is light controlled, you will want a standard 1.0 - 1.3 gain screen in a white material. You could purchase any screen on amazon for this and be quite happy.
As far as alternative brands, you are in luck. There are several good options out there available in other sizes - but they can be costly.

Here are the ones I would recommend. Most of these are available in "custom" or "special order" at any size you'd like.
Lastly, we have a wonderful and respected member of the industry, @Robert_Zohn here on HTF who sells and installs UST projectors through his Value Electronics store, and I'm sure he'd be happy to advise you on what to purchase and help you get it ordered.

BOATWHITE93

Auditioning
Real Name
Mathias
Hi Mathias,

UST screens all have a specific design to reject overhead light and only reflect light from beneath. This is only necessary if you plan to watch with the lights on, so if you'll be watching in the dark you could save a lot of money. Here is a great article that summarizes this: https://www.projectorcentral.com/How-UST-Screens-Let-You-See-the-Light.htm

Most ultra short throw projectors have slightly less light output, but yours does not.

What sort of room will you be setting this up in? Will it be light controlled, or have windows and overhead lights turned on?

Here are some basic tips:
  1. If you are watching with ambient light (windows, sconces etc) and not in a dark room, you will want a UST screen like the Aeon CLR with a grey material to enhance contrast.
  2. If you are watching in a dark room that is light controlled, you will want a standard 1.0 - 1.3 gain screen in a white material. You could purchase any screen on amazon for this and be quite happy.
As far as alternative brands, you are in luck. There are several good options out there available in other sizes - but they can be costly.

Here are the ones I would recommend. Most of these are available in "custom" or "special order" at any size you'd like.
Lastly, we have a wonderful and respected member of the industry, @Robert_Zohn here on HTF who sells and installs UST projectors through his Value Electronics store, and I'm sure he'd be happy to advise you on what to purchase and help you get it ordered.

Thank you so much for the reply! This really helped a lot! I am going to install it in my livingroom, so there will be quite a lot of Ambient light, especially during the summer/spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks