Ultra or Plus?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by NateF, Jul 1, 2003.

1. NateF

NateF Stunt Coordinator

So, I'm in the market for a sub, and SVS seems to be the way to go. My question now is, which one?

I don't need raw massive SPLs. I'm in an apartment, so reference levels are out of the question. I figure, I'll get a single SVS cylinder, and later if I move to a house where I can get reference levels without having someone call the cops, I'll just buy a second.

So, I'm wavering between the 20-39 PC+, 20-39 CS+ and CS Ultra. I listen to 90% home theater, so I figure these are the ones to get the job done.

The question is, which one?

Is the Ultra + Samson really worth 60% more than the 20PC+?

Any Ultra owners out there want to talk about why they went the extra mile and got an Ultra?

Thanks,
    Nate Finch

2. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Hi NateF,

Fellow SVS owners here will give you their opinion, but you would better benefit by contacting Tom & Ron here http://www.svsubwoofers.com/contact.htm

Let them help you with your concerns.

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Hi Nate:

The TV-12 driver used in the Ultra and SS subwoofers represents the ultimate in design technology that TC-Sounds and SVS currently offer in a woofer. It is considerably more expensive than the still excellent dB-12 Plus driver.

This is a perfect example of the law of diminishing returns: The Plus driver offers about 85% of the performance of the Ultra driver for about half the cost.

To some (many) people, having the ultimate woofer SVS offers is worth the considerable expense. But if you place a premium on bang for the buck, the Plus subs are IMO the best performance value in the entire line-up.

Regards,

Ed

4. michael.st

michael.st Auditioning

If you live in an apartment, your SVS is going to brake your lease for you. That being said, I absolutely love my SVS. You won't regret getting the plus model.

Michael

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Nate:

Give your situation and your listening preference I would recommend the PC+ line.

As already suggested give Tom or Ron an email and they will get back to you with their recommendations. They won't oversell you a sub but get you the one that is right for you situation.

Parker