1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Ultra Damaged!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don_A, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Don_A

Don_A Auditioning

Hi all,
    I've been coming to this forum for over the past year and its kinda sad that my first post would be about a damaged SVS. But before I go on, I just wanted send thanks to all you guys for providing info on every level of hometheater. It has helped me tremendously in building mind. Anyway, yup I recieved my single CS-Ultra yesterday (7/26) to find out that half the driver was hanging off the base!
    After a bunch of emails sent, Tom and Ron gave me the choice of either sending it back for a replacement or trying fixing it myself. Although I was very tempted to fix it myself, I decided to send it back. I guess I didn't want to mess with it, better the pros of investigate the issue.
    Also, I mentioned this to SVS, there is a small scratch on the top of the Sampson amp, if you run your finger over it there is a slight indentation. Like I told SVS its probably on big deal, I just thought I'd mention it.

2. David Scott

David Scott Stunt Coordinator

Sorry to hear about it, I'm sure it will be all good in the end [​IMG] ...the excitement of seeing the delivery person is always tempered by fear when you see them fumbling around carelessly. I've had stuff delivered like it was boxed to hold nuclear waste and yet they still find a way to damage it!

3. Patrick D

Patrick D Stunt Coordinator

Or worse, like when I watched the FedEx guy drop my new 22" monitor on the ground while getting it off the truck...

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

The scratch on the amp probably was not caused in a manner to mean internal damage or electronic malfunction, and most likely the amp is installed in a rack and you can't see the scratch.
    But for something obviously mangled, send it back or better yet don't even accept it from the shipper.
    About the dropped monitor, before signing for something you witness in an accident or mishandled, also don't sign for it except with the notation "subject to inspection for internal damage". Some shippers will allow or even insist that the item be opened up and plugged in right there.
    Other video hints:http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Don,
    Thanks for being understanding. We'll have your new one out very soon. As soon as we saw your pics it was clear UPS can drop stuff just as hard as FedEx Ground.
    Of the many CS-Ultras shipped, this is the first damage of any kind. Getting it back for us will allow us to determine if there is anything else we might do on construction to make things even stronger.
    As Allan said, we'd have supported you tackling the repair (with a discount of course!) but really a return in this case just makes sense. If it is fully repaired and 100% functional it'll just go as b-stock (a couple subs up there now after weeks of nothing).
    P.S. Anyone who e-mails us asking to "reserve" the refurbished CS-Ultra automatically gets put on the "NOT" list ;^)
    Again, thanks for rolling with this hitch. In a case like this we are only interested in doing what works best and quickest for you.
    Ron

6. Don_A

Don_A Auditioning

Ron,
    From the inside of the box everything looked in placed, foam pads were intact, no abnormal indentations.
    From the outside, just the typical "I've been on a truck, shipped from here to here" look of the box.
    Its when I looked at the driver I thought "oh, that can't be right."

7. John Kovach

John Kovach Extra

>>>P.S. Anyone who e-mails us asking to "reserve" the refurbished CS-Ultra automatically gets put on the "NOT" list ;^)
    Ron, what if I don't e-mail you but just call "dibs" here? [​IMG]

8. Charles_O

Charles_O Auditioning

Ron,
    Just thought I would throw my two cents worth in on UPS. I worked there while I was in college on the box line sorter (here in Seattle). This is were items go for sorting if they will be going out on a local truck from the sorting warehouse. Any package that will not fit in the 4'x4'x4' metal cages that travel around the loading bay, get dropped off the side of the sorter (which is up on the loading dock at truck loading level so about 4-6ft). This is the "junk pile" for odd sized packages. At the end of the shift just before the trucks head out at 8:00 AM, we would run around dragging the 'junk' to the right local trucks and usually throw them in the back, since they would not fit on the shelves in the trucks anyway. Then keep going with what ever else we could drag at the same time. The only advantage I see you at SVS having is that your boxes are big enough that it is likely that the sorters could only carry one box at a time. But if my coworkers were any indication, the more big (and heavy) boxes the boxline sorters and regular sorters see from the same place the less nice they are with those packages.
    So my prediction would be that the damage will progressively get worse over time (more than for just shipping more units). I have no comments on other shippers since I have not worked for any of them. But it has been 10 yrs since I worked at UPS and I still cringe at the thought of sending precision equipment through them.
    Just my personal bais,
    Charles
    ------------------
    Charles
    [email protected]
    [Edited last by Charles_O on July 27, 2001 at 03:25 PM]