What's new

Ultra Curve Pro? (1 Viewer)

Mike Keith

Second Unit
There seems to be several different Ultra Curve products and I'm not sure which would serve my needs best. Their latest version probably hasn't been used by anyone hear yet, but maybe some of you have some idea or have already done some research on the differences.

First off, I am hoping to use some product to help extend the low end of my 2 Maelstrom subs (that have yet to be completed) and to correct the room modes, also the digital delay would be nice to help time align and integrate the sub with the mains.

I'm not sure if the RTA will help or not and I'm not sure if the 3 band parametric E.Q. all be useable in the 10-80Hz region. In addition, will I be able to use the Digital IN/OUT option? Will the 31 band E.Q. be a waste?

Ultra Curve Pro DEQ2496
http://messe.harmony-central.com/Mus...R/DEQ2496.html

http://www.behringer.com/02_products...Q2496&lang=eng

Ultra Curve Pro DSP8024
http://www.behringer.com/02_products...P8024&lang=eng

Option AES8024
http://www.behringer.com/02_products...S8024&lang=eng

I'm trying to consolidate a Marchand Bassis and a Behringer FBD into one unit if possible.

any comments or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Mike

The Bassis (I have one too) is a nice piece of gear. Using it with a BFD is a bit redundant. A Bassis is an elegant LT circuit (aka narrowband parametric EQ).

BTW you can cut the Bassis Fs range in 1/2 by doubling the values for the C1-C2 caps to 0.078 mfd. This allows dialing in more bottom end lift. You might check with Phil Marchand to see if there are other mod options.

1/3rd octave RTA's aren't really very useful. (Again I know because I have one). Use your PC and something like the 1/24th octave version of TrueRTA or ETF 5.0

1/3rd octave EQ (31 band) is basically a waste of time/money for trying to fine tune home audio.

If you really want bottom end boost the Symetrix 551/552 Parametric EQ's ($$$) will boost as low as 10Hz. Tom Nousaine says that ganging a pair of the filters allows him to boost down to 8Hz. Other that space shuttle launches I'm not sure what software has info that low :D

Regards
Thomas

Dennis XYZ

Stunt Coordinator
The new Ultracurve isn't out yet but it's MUCH more powerful than the old one. It has 10 parametrics per channel, including shelving filters, so you don't need the Basis. Another nice feature is the dynamic EQs. If your sub doesn't have infinite dispacement, you can set the dynamic EQ to start rolling off the lows, say below 20 Hz, as the volume goes above some level. If you don't need the RTA and 1/3 octave features, the DCX2496 is available now, has all the same filter types, and can double as a crossover as well.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
Thanks everyone, and I must say the Ultra-Drive Pro looks very intriguing. It looks like it could handel most all of my system as I am actively Bi-Amping the front 3-Channels already, and plan to add new Maelstrom (Dual Mono or Stereo ?) subs, which is the reason for some kind of bass EQ and managment.

Thanks.

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
You might be better off with the Behringer DCX2496 crossover EQ system. It can be set up as a 2 x 3 way or a 3 x 2 way digital crossover, and it has multiple parametric EQ bands, delays and so forth.

You can download the software and punch in various configurations at www.behringer.com. You should be able to get at least 8-10 bands of EQ per speaker. It also has digital ins and outs which may be useful depending on your sources.

But you ought to be able to replace all your active crossovers, EQs and so forth in one box costing $350.

I use the Driverack PA which is similar but also has 1/3 octave EQ and RTA. Unlike Thomas, I actually think it the 1/3 EQ does make a positive difference since everything is in the digital domain already, although I would prefer 1/6 or even better 1/12.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks