Ultra cheap line array?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ryan T, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

I'm currently in need of a surround sound system for my xbox. i've really been itching to do something DIY. So i went looking around at partsexpress and I saw that PE has a big blowout sale going on and they have insanly cheap 4" and 2" full ranges at only $0.87 ea.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=269-570

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=269-566

I was going to just get one of those computer surround sound systems but they couldn't play loud enough for my room without distorting :/.

So my plan was to try and build 4 open baffle towers with 8 4" fullranges each and a center channel with 4 full ranges. I'm wondering how comb filtering will effect the 4" full ranges in that confguration. Will it completely kill the FR? My other concern is will this just be a waste of money? I don't need super nice sound or anything cause it's only for gaming but i don't want it to sound like complete trash either. I've messed around with a lot of 4" full ranges and they don't sound to bad IMO but i've never heard them in a line array form. If anyone has any better ideas I'm open for suggestions [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Suggestion would be to save your money. Did you bother to take a look at the FR plot? It's an ugly sight.

Given the significant amount of labor and time involved in making line arrays, it might be a good idea to use a better quality driver.

Or.........

Madisound has some 5-1/4" Vifa drivers for $14.50 ea. A MTM arrangement made with those would provide FAR better sound quality as compared to the line array you propose.....

3. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

MTM would sound nice but i have no knowledge of how to design a crossover. Also building a box is harder than a open baffle line array (with the tools i have anyway). I would also imagine the MTM's would cost quite a bit more than $50 to build 5. The key here is cost. Most the computer speakers I listened too had acceptable sound quality but they didnt play loud enough. I can't imagine these speakers are worse than these drivers. Maybe i'm wrong.

Ryan

4. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

I looked around some more and found some close out 12 Ohm audax woofers for $6 a piece. That would be $60 for woofers. I have about $100 I could spend for the project. so that would leave $40 for the tweeters and crossovers. I don't think that would be enough. If i knew how the design the crossovers and they wern't to expesive i wouldn't mind spending a bit extra. I just can't find the info i need to learn how to design a crossover.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...299-434&ctab=2

Ryan

5. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

You certainly don't want to use any of those drivers in an open baffle/dipole unless you're planning on using several hundred of them. With Open baffle/dipole mounting, the drivers are excursion limited not thermal limited like a driver mounted in a box. So it's far to easy to over extend the cones or bottom the coice coils.

Look at the BR-1 kits on the PE website. They are close to you budget and reportedly sound quite good.

6. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Thomas and also feel u could do better else where. Also what where u going to use to power these diy speakers?? What output does the xbox use a 3.5mm plug or rca out? Maybe this is better for u has Remote control sub speakers amp and should go fairly loud for x-box gaming. Also there magneticly sheilded

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?pa...9&languageid=1

7. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

I have a harman/kardon AVR 120 receiver and i use the advanced av pack for DD out of my Xbox. Currently i'm using my GR-research AV 1's and my ported Tempest but i only have the 2 AV 1's. I have the enclousres already built for the other 3 AV 1's but i don't exactly have the $400 laying around to buy the kits. I just figured there must be some cheap way to do a simple open baffle instead of buying some cheapo 5 speaker package for around $100 but i guess not. I guess the best bet is to save up and finish off my AV 1 enclosures but it'll take me a while to save up. Oh well thouht i'd at least ask [​IMG]

Ryan

8. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

Yup Build a center channel 1st
    You will most likely want their sheilded drivers for that center as well if u have a tube type tv. And while u waiting for some more componets for yer rears see if a freind has something u can borrow till ur done saving.

There nice speakers and they will all match sonicly and in timbre. Thats important to a nice sounding 5.1 or above system

Or Build the rears and use the center preout on the H/K to ur Tvs audio in for now for a center

Either way u started something good...

9. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

This is the only case where I'd recommend a "box" speaker system, but you can get decent game sound with one of those. If you want the enjoyment of building speakers, then use an already-designed cabinet volume/crossover/driver combo. Search the forums.
    A really low cost option would be to use the Tang Band W3-871S in a ported cabinet. No crossover involved. You'll be surprised at the sound.
    Buy 'em here: http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=W3871S $12 each plus shipping. You will like the results, and they will kick the box sets butt.

10. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

well i have some older Mission MK II speakers i can use as rears untill i get the money for the 2 AV 1's. It will take me longer but in the long run but it's for the best that i'm going with finishing the AV 1's.

Ryan

11. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

If you're looking for a cheap line array design, i posted this on my forum awhile ago. http://forum.stryke.com/viewtopic.php?t=7 It's pretty much a free design. The xover diagrams and wiring info are all there as well as the respone plot.

John