What's new

ULTRA 7 REVIEW (1 Viewer)

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I bought Ultra 7 and am very happy with the quality. I was a little unhappy about the English subtitles and being released in the original Japanese. I think I was very wrong about that. I like it being in the original language. You quickly get used to the subtitles. I think this is a very nice release.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I was quite happy with the Ultraman set as I always wanted to see it in the original Japanese. Now it is the only way I watch it. The stories are sub-titled and make much more sense that way (as well as sounds better) as opposed to the dubbed versions. I recommend you view the entire set that way at least once. I am not familair with Ultra 7 but I imagine the original Japanese would be superior as well.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I've avoided this one since I have the dubbed on hand and prefer things like this that way. I'm sure it's fun in original language too. Would be great to have a choice somehow.
How is the picture and sound quality? I was impressed with the Ultraman release for looks, but the playback wasn't very smooth and the sound was very lacking.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Radioman970 said:
I've avoided this one since I have the dubbed on hand and prefer things like this that way. I'm sure it's fun in original language too. Would be great to have a choice somehow. How is the picture and sound quality? I was impressed with the Ultraman release for looks, but the playback wasn't very smooth and the sound was very lacking.
I thought the audio/video quality could not be better. Normally I would say I like to watch shows dubbed in English. Provided the dubbing is good. I also own the TBS dubbed versions and the dubbed dialog is completely different than the actual script. Because of these reasons, I got into the original Japanese. The sub-titles are a must though.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Huge dilemma for dubbed fans. I like original language/subs on most things, but my history with stuff like Ultraman, Godzilla, plus MST3K's influence, have me preferring dubbed on that stuff. I couldn't see watching something like Gamera or Spectreman any other way. Over the weekend I watched a Christmas gift I got, Godzilla Vs Biollante on blu ray. DTS 5.1 subbed. After, I tried out the mono dubbed and it's like a 97 cent frozen pizza Vs something from Pizza Hut. the mono was flat as a pizza. The DTS didn't make much use of surround, but it was very robust and pleasing when the film got exciting (basically 35 minutes into it, haha). I had a hard time keeping up with all the subs here, but I won't be able to watch the film in dubbed in the future since the difference it too great. Now with Ultraman... I just can't do it. I was probably 4 or 5 when I first saw that show in 1970 or 71. Original language on something like that loses the nostalgia. I even dislike that some of the ultraman episodes show the Japanese opening (which does look a lot better) instead of the English one that I grew up with. I guess a big price cut or sale will have me buying this original language release of U7 just to see it. I need to check out some youtube clips of the show in original language. I'm sure it's good that way.. Worth owning.. and I still have my other versions. Note: I sure wish they would hurry and release Johnny Sokko. I had that preordered and I think they canceled. :(

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Can't edit the above, but here's a correction on Johnny Sokko. http://www.amazon.com/Johnny-Sokko-His-Flying-Robot/dp/B00AJXO3ZQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2QZ3JRA6L5XHE&coliid=I5LQPDIJEEUVL coming in March from Shout! Woo hoo!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks