Ultimate Warner DVD Survey

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joshua Clinard, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I was thinking last week about writing a survey, and sending it to the studios. I came upp with the ultimate DVD survey. I think this one is better, because there is not just one choice to check. I will also add more later about what types of films that they buy. Please add your imput, and I will make changes, and then send to the correct studio departments. Thanks.
    How many DVD's do you purhcase each month?
    How many DVD's do you own?
    What film genre's do you usually buy?
    Do you prefer full frame, or widescreen?
    Would you refuse to buy a movie that you really like, if it were only available in widescreen?
    Would you refuse to buy a movie that you really like, if it were only available in full frame?
    Would you refuse to buy a movie that had both widescreen and full frame, if it meant sacrificeing image quality or extras?
    Do you own a widescreen telivison?
    Do you plan on buying a widescreen telivison in the next 12 months?

2. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

I purchase around 3-4 DVDS a Month.
    I own about 38 DVDS currently.
    I buy all film genre's.
    I prefer Widescreen because thats the way it was shot
    for most movies.
    Would you refuse to buy a movie that you really like, if it were only available in widescreen?
    I would not refuse to buy a movie if it's widescreen,
    unless it's original ratio is full frame.
    Would you refuse to buy a movie that you really like, if it were only available in full frame?
    I would refuse to buy a movie it was full frame and
    it wasnt the original aspect ratio.
    Would you refuse to buy a movie that had both widescreen and full frame, if it meant sacrificeing image quality or extras?
    I would refuse to buy a movie if it had meant loosing
    picture quality and extras.
    I do not currently own a widescreen tv.
    I am planning on buying a widescreen tv next year.
    -Mike
    [Edited last by Michael Pakula on August 29, 2001 at 10:20 PM]

3. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

About 5-10 DVDs a month.
    Around 110 titles, 130 discs.
    I usually buy good films.
    Neither. I prefer original aspect ratio.
    If it was originally a 1.33:1 film, maybe.
    If it was not originally in the 1.33:1 ratio, perhaps.
    Ditch the non-OAR version and I'd be happy.
    No. I don't even own a widescreen television.
    Maybe. It'd help if I won the lottery or something.

4. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I think you have the wrong idea. I am not wanting anyone here to actually answer the survey, but thanks for taking the time to do so. What I want to know is, do you think it is a good survey for the general public? I am going to send this to the studios, to let them know how to write a good survey, and then let them actually give the survey, if they would like to. If anyone thinks I should re-word any of the questions, let me know. Also, I was wondering if I should use Pan-and-Scan, rather than full frame. Thanks guys!

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I think that the full-frame vs. widescreen is misleading.
    It would be better to ask about OAR vs. p&s/open-matte, even if such questions would need a brief intro.
    For example,
    Would you refuse to buy a movie that you really like, if the picture had been modified in such a way that you were seeing less of the film?
    Would you refuse to buy a movie that you really like, if the picture is not modified to fill your whole screen, by eliminating part of the image on the left & right?
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

With apologies to Jan Strnad for borrowing from "The Atom Brain Guide to Letterboxing", I'm going to suggest that the best way to word such a survey is going to be with pictures. They are, after all, worth a thousand words! Re-ordering the questions will help, too, and adding a size-related question that *might* affect whether WS is considered viewable by the consumer on a smaller 4:3 TV:
    ------------------------------
    Q)Do you own a widescreen televison?
    Q)Do you plan on buying a widescreen televison in the next 12 months?
    Q)Is the television that you usually view home video on larger or smaller than 30" diagonal?
    Q)If you do NOT own a widescreen TV, do you prefer home videos of theatre-released films to be:
    • 1)Presented in a format that has been "Modified to fit your TV" (Fullframe), or
      2)Presented in the same original format in which they were shown in theatres (Widescreen), even if this means they may have black bars on the top and bottom of the picture?
    Examples:
    _____________Fullframe_________________________Wid escreen__________
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Q)Would you refuse to buy a movie that you really like, if it were only available in widescreen?
    Q)Would you refuse to buy a movie that you really like, if it were only available in fullframe?
    ------------------------------
    Thoughts? I think this arrangement really makes it a much more valid survey! In the end, though, we have to remember the concept of "KISS": Keep It Simple, Stupid!
    I have a dumb idea: why can't we put together such a survey ourselves, and circulate it on behalf of the HTF? Why the heck not?
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by David Lambert on August 30, 2001 at 08:02 AM]

7. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

About 15-20 DVDs a month.
    No preference.
    Original Aspect Ratio.
    I would prefer it in widescreen if that is the OAR.
    Yes, if that was not the original aspect ratio.
    Yes. Get rid of the pan and scam and we will not have a problem.
    No.
    No.
    How do you feel about Snapper cases? Like, Hate, No opinion.
    I hate the damn things!
    Frank
    ------------------
    [​IMG]http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nightdog&acceptadult=true

8. Ben Tallen

Ben Tallen Agent

I think David has gotten closer to it but it might need to be explained in more J6Pish terms. (Remember the story of the father and son who didn't buy widescreen DVDs because they didn't own a widescreen TV!)

9. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I hate to burst your bubble. While I think your survey is well-written and a great idea, Warner pays big bucks to Marketing Consultants to come up with their surveys and won't give a second glance to anything you submit. I wouldn't waste my time.

10. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

The trick to the P&S/WS question is to word it so that it doesn't make the voter think about pre 1954 movies in the academy ratio. All of the 'depends' answers are fodder for studios to twist to get what they want.
    1. If a movie was released on DVD that you really liked and wasn't in it's theatrical aspect ratio(usually widescreen), would you purchase it?(no Kubrick s***)
    2. If a movie was released on DVD that you really liked and wasn't modified to fit your TV(usually fullscreen/Pan & Scan), would you purchase it?
    3. I would purchase a movie that I like regardless of the format.
    What does everyone think about that???
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs
    [Edited last by William Ward on August 30, 2001 at 10:17 AM]

11. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Typically around 3 to 4 but in the latter half of this year I'll be averaging 6 to 7.
    As of August 30th, 2001 I own 162.
    I purchase films across all genre's.
    I definitely prefer widescreen and the OAR.
    Absolutely not. I prefer widescreen.
    Absolutely I would not buy it. An example of movie I really love that is only available in Pan & Scan is Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang. I do not own this DVD because it is in Pan & Scan.
    I love movies so I want the image and sound quality to be its best at all times.
    Yes.
    I plan buying another 16x9 screen soon.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
    My DVD Collection

12. YANG

YANG Second Unit

I think you have missed one that concerns WARNER.That's "Do you prefer DVDs in keepcases or snappers?" [​IMG]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's my answers to the survey...
    -Approximately 4 to 6 per month.
    -80pcs and growing.
    -Depends on the plot of the film,nothing specific.
    -WIDESCREEN! WIDESCREEN! WIDESCREEN!
    -If my favorite movie is released in fullscreen now or later,i will DEFINATELY DON'T GO FOR IT!!!
    -I WANT WIDESCREEN ONLY!
    -I can live with dual presentation release,but not with those that may affect either visual or audio quality.
    -No.
    -Oooo,yeah..."You can take that to the bank!"

13. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Responding only to Ben Tallen here:
    * As far as J6P-ish terms, your re-wording is stacking the deck in favor of a particular response when you use words like "the picture cut off on the sides", etc. We should never say "Original Aspect Ratio"; sounds too egghead and definately non-J6P. The phrase "Modified to fit your TV" is a standard wording that everyone who watches Broadcast TV films, Cable TV films, and VHS films are used to (J6P in other words). Why change it? What's unclear about it?
    Maybe it will make J6P realize exactly what they've been telling him all these years...that it's friggin' MODIFIED!
    * About the story of the Father & Son who didn't buy the DVD because they didn't own the widescreen TV: don't you think the illustrations cover that? They will see a picture of a "normal" (to them) TV with a widescreen film on it. Should wake them up and educate them a bit, eh?
    * RE: "Because we would only circulate the surverys (for the most part) among our friends who probably feel the same way we do."
    My thought was to put something together and get it out there in some fashion. Not as an e-mail spam campaign. Perhaps something along the lines of an on-line survey like the Columbia one many of us just filled out. All the DVD sites could link to it (Bits, File, Talk, Review, Journal, etc.). Maybe we can get Amazon - which gets out of the videophile realm and back into the J6P arena - to link to it. Maybe others would link to it as well: DVD Planet, DVD Empire, etc. What's in it for them? We'd share the results so they can use it in their stocking and marketing. Maybe studios would even want to participate.
    How we'd pay for it and get all the resources we'd need is beyond me...I was just thinking out loud. Maybe it's a dumb idea...but I said so up front! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]

14. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Anyone want to print one out and take it to Wal-Mart??
    I'll do it one of these days. Thinking about the best way of collecting my data.
    Simplest: I could just have the four options and then make four columns. Place a mark in whatever column the person votes for. If they say I vote number three, I put the mark in the third column. It would be extremely easy to fabricate any results that I wanted, which is why this method isn't very good. Although, who's to say that MGM and Warner aren't fabricating their own results??
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

15. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Comedy (I have 17 comedy DVD's out of my 36)
    For open matte titles, I prefer matted versions...for anamorphic widescreen (and 70/65mm) films, I prefer letterboxed.
    Heck, no! I prefer widescreen for open matte and anamorphic films 99% of the time (Unless it's proven that the film suffers from matting)
    For films such as Casablanca and Wizard of Oz, I wouldn't (keep in mind that full frame is used for 1.33:1 titles). If the film was intended to be matted to 1.85:1, or letterboxed at 2.10-2.76:1 (or 4.0:1 if Napoleon ever comes to DVD [​IMG] ) I will not buy a DVD lacking the composition the director intended. I'll buy the Stanley Kubrick Collection (new one) since the 1.33:1 was what was meant for video. I respect the decisions made by directors and getting an unmatted/p&s version without their consent is blasphemy. I'd probably vomit if I saw 2001 panned & scanned (thank goodness I haven't seen it yet!)
    Only if it had a really crappy transfer resulting from that. Most movies with this treatment are either "John Q. Public" titles like Blazing Saddles. Great movie, but it's not the kind of movie that would get Fight Club-type extras.
    Not yet... [​IMG]
    If I can get a 16x9 display with the same height as my 24" TV for under 500 bucks, I'll get one. I *do* want a 16x9 display, but it's financial issues keeping me from that.
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.

16. Ben Tallen

Ben Tallen Agent

David,
    True, "Original Aspect Ratio" isn't J6P-ese (That's why I included a description of it in parentheses) but "widescreen" can be confusing what with pre-'54 films, TV movies, and the like. However, I doubt that people grasp the full impact of what "Modified to fit your TV" means. People have seen that phrase for years on TV and VHS but they still seem surprised when I tell them what it really means. Yes, I think the illustrations would help but I still worry that it isn't enough. Do I underestimate J6P? Probably. [​IMG]
    In the end, a survey would probably turn up exactly what WB has come to believe: That people in general prefer fullscreen to widescreen. As has been stated before in other threads, the reason for this is lack of education. Perhaps we should devote our energies to informing the public instead. And not just online, not everyone with a DVD player surfs the web. Just another thought.
    Ben Tallen
    May the way of the hero lead to the triforce.
    ------------------
    "The Mob is run by murdering, thieving, lying, cheating psychopaths. We work for the President of the United States of America."

17. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

0-5, depending on the month, and the titles being released.
    Sci-fi/Fantasy, Comedy, Drama, Action, Family
    Widescreen
    No.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    No.
    Yes.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    [Edited last by Adam Lenhardt on August 30, 2001 at 05:45 PM]

18. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

3 - 4, but it might change depending on how much money I have. (I might buy more)
    85 (11 on order)
    I buy all genre's, but the majority of my collection is Horror.
    I prefer Original Aspect Ratio. However the movie was meant to be seen is how I want to see it.
    No, because I prefer widescreen movie (Of course only if they were filmed that way.)
    Most likely. I haven't bought a number of my favorite films yet due to lack of a widescreen version. But if the movie was meant to be seen fullscreen I would buy it.
    I would buy one, but if I had the opportunity for more extras by getting rid of Full Frame I would.
    Not currently, I am trying to talk my mom into getting one.
    Hopefully, but it will probably be about 2 years.

19. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

1) 5-6, more if I can. [​IMG]
    2) I haven't counted lately; its probably reaching near 300.
    3) I buy films regardless of genre.
    4) Prefer Widescreen.
    5) No.
    6) Yes.
    7) I would buy a movie that was both, as long as it didn't sacrifice image quality; extras are just that, extra.
    8) No.
    9) No. [​IMG]

20. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I think some of you are being to tough on the unitiated to Home Theater and Widescreen. Your anger is misdirected IMHO. It's the studios fault for cramming P&S down the publics throat with VHS, premium channels etc, without nary a mention or exposure to widescreen outside of a commercial theater.
    [Edited last by Reginald Trent on August 30, 2001 at 09:50 PM]