What's new

Ultimate Star Trek: TNG Case... (1 Viewer)

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
Ric,
I like the path with the Enterprise on the 7th disk, I think Bev and Wes should go after Geordi and Worf though.
I agree Deanna should be saved for Season 7, she looked her best then, but you couldn't really put the enterprise on 6 and her on 7 I guess.
See opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. ;)
I have photoshop, if I just use the file Parker put on the site and print it, will it be the right size? Or do I have to make any manual adjustments?
Thanks,

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Doug,

It will be the right size. I did have to make adjustments to print it though. Like making sure I was printing in horizontal or "landscape" mode. And positioning it so it favored the side, so it didn't run off my not quite legal size paper. I cut up 13x19 photo paper so that I get two 13x8.5 sheets.

Ric

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There's no way I can recieve something the size of your PDFs in an email. We can either arrange to meet on an IM, or if you could send me a CD of your source files (I WOULD keep the spine art mind you) that's probably the easiest

Email me privately about it

Nice covers Ric, I reckon I'll be using them. Actual use of the R2 boxes have revealed that the hinges are very small and flimsy, and break easily. And that the ntsc->pal conversion for r2/r4 has resulted in inferior image compared to r1. Sooo ... does anybody know where the 6-pack cases can be bought from, that ship overseas to Australia?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Brian,
The only place I know of that sells these is InetDVD You can find the cases right here. Remember that the 2nd season is the only one that would be using the 6 dvd case. All the other seasons would need the 7 disc cases. I think they ship all over the world, but i imagine it's alot more expensive than a more "local' alternative would be.
So the R2 packaging is really not that good? I know there were alot of folks that were disappointed that we didn't get that fancy packaging.
Ric

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Ric,

I agree that you should stick to your guns and design these cases as you wish them to be. I figured all along that you were doing them for yourself, then sharing them with others. My comments were meant to indicate what I prefer. If I were to find cases that were identical to yours save for cast shots instead of faces, I'd go with them. But as it stands, I'd rather see your spines lined up on my shelf than the tatterred ones from Paramount.

I never expected the secondary characters to warrant a seasonal head shot, which is why I prefer the cast shots. Pulaski and Tasha were significant for one season each, and O'Brien and Guinan probably have the same combined significance. O'Brien will get his time to shine on DS9 though. Wes deserves recognition as he was a cast member for four years, then returning a few times. Even if people don't like him (I've always known why, but just never agreed).

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator
Ric,
I am ashamed to say, when I saw this thread I was expecting something really cheesy. I apologize. :b
Your work is amazing to say the least. I would call it professional quality; but there is too much professional stuff out there that isn't up to your level. (just look at the new Real Genius.)
Here's an idea I thought others might like. I plan to get all septuple cases. The extra slot in the second season will get a CD-R of all the source .jpg files. When I eventually upgrade my printer I will know exactly where to get fresh copies.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Good idea! I also thought that if folks got the 7 disc case for season 2 they could use the extra slot to put the Star Trek: TNG Companion CD-rom that Best Buy was giving out.

I'm just glad the 6 slot DVD cases are the same width as the 7's. With that spine shot, it wouldn't look as good if it wasn't the same size!

Oh, and thanks for the kind words!

-Ric

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone who has shopped InetDVD before give me an idea of how shipping works out? From their site it seems like it might cost up to $1.50 per case to have the cases mailed. Anyone have specific experience to relate on shipping costs for volume orders?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I Ordered around 7 of the 7 disk cases and I think my total shipping was around $7. It does take forever for them to ship them to you thou.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Its even more if you want them shipped to Canada like I do. I did a sample order with some 1 disc, 2 disc, 6 disc and 7 disc cases that came out to $40 or so dollars for the discs and the shipping came out to $41! As you can imagine I didn't finish the order when the shipping is more than the cost of the product.

Does anybody know of another place that sells the big 6 and 7 disc Alpha's without the high shipping?

Pat

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Patrick,

Another option, if you are planning a trip down south, I live in Everett - right off of I-5. We could make arrangements to get them delivered to me and the next time you are down we could meet up.

Just a thought and always glad to lend a hand to a fellow HTF'er and northern neighbor.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Colin, thanks for the offer. I usually get down to Seattle every summer to take in a couple of Mariners games at Safeco. What a great ball park it is.

I think the shipping charges are even high when shipped within the US but I'll take a look again.

Thanks again,

Patrick

Joe Kim

Auditioning
I've searched but can't find the obvious, probably. What printing dimensions do I use to print out Ric's cover scans for the septuple cases?

Thanks,

Joe

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Joe,

If you are asking what size the paper should be, legal size, 8.5 by 14 would be fine, but I have had a tough time finding good quality legal size paper. What I have done is cut Epson 13x19 photo paper into two 13x8.5 sheets. This has worked out great for me. Don't forget to set your printing options for best quality and on "horizontal" or "landscape" mode.

Hope this helps!

Ric

Joe Kim

Auditioning
Thanks Ric. I knew about the paper size but was referring to the dimensions of the actual image to fit into the case but I think I found my answer at the Inetdvd site. I scrolled down on the page that shows the septuple case and it has dimensions in milimeters. I assume Paint Shop Pro allows me to size in mm's for printing?

Wow! I'm up to 2 posts now. I'm not a newbie anymore.

Thanks again,

Joe

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Kim,

I don't know if it's the same for every photo editing program, but when I open these in Photoshop and print them, they are printed at the correct size without any further futzing!

BTW, welcome to the Forum! I'm honored you chose my thread first!

Ric

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
For the paper, I've resigned myself to finding it online since none of the local stores or chains carried the right size. Went right to the source at Kodak.com to get it even.

Joe Kim

Auditioning
You're right! Now I need to decide on the paper. It seems that most people choose a very good quality inkjet paper as opposed to the glossy variety. I guess I'll go hunt for the best inkjet paper I can find. I know HP makes some but I've never used the legal size. I hope I find what I need.

Ric, by the way...I'm in the middle of watching ST:TNG season one and had to wrestle with the multi-fold monstrosity to get to disc 3. I must admit that I DO like the Paramount packaging as long as you just have to look at it. Functionally, it's a loser IMO. The septuple cases with you're incredible cover art is definately the way to go! Thanks for all your hard work.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks