What's new

Ultimate Star Trek: TNG Case... (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well, having a little time on my hands, I thought I would try to raise the bar a little on my TNG cover art. Link Removed
As you can see I have gone ahead and designed the spines so that the Enterprise stretches across all of them. This of course makes my first cover obsolete, so I hope you early adopters don't get PO'd! Seriously, I know that their isn't quite as much interest in these as there was in my ST: The Original Series covers, but I have noticed a few complaints on the Next Gen boxes. Mostly wishing you had the region 2 case! Hopefully this will provide a nice alternative for some of you.
Anyway, new volumes of these will be completed as they come out. Matt DeVillier will get this one as soon as DVD Cover Art is back up and running. To look at the pix a little more closely, check out the links below.
Link Removed
Link Removed
-Ric

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Ric, you've seriously out done yourself. Outstanding, you really should send a really should be working for paramount. You don't know how much I hate the TNG Boxes. I really hate those mile long digipacks, I've had it take a plung onto the floor a few times already. These things are going to Look great on the shelf. Great work and much appreciated.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Oh my SWEETNESS!!! Great job on the updated cover!

I have one suggestion/request though: how about incorporating the color coding of the original packaging into the spine art? For instance, season 1 is red, season 2 is orange, etc. Maybe you could color code the Star Trek insignia at the bottom of each spine? I don't know if that would look tacky or not, but I think you would be able to find a way to make it look nice.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Actually I like it as is, if it were a different color I don't think the spines would stand out as much as one unified picture

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Ric's God-like Q powers are certainly showing themselves again.

Ric,

I know during the making of these we have talked and I have congratulated you plenty. I am so glad everyone now has an opportunity to see the quality of work you have done. I know you spent hours working on them (and hours more for the next 6) and it is certainly appreciated. Thanks for taking my suggestions... aw hell, thanks for even asking my opinion.

Yohan,

I really think different colors on the spine would take away from the uniform look of this set.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
O...M...G!
AWESOME JOB, RIC!!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
At first I thought that I wanted to try and incorpoarte the colors of the discs into my covers. At one point I was trying to make a nebula with every color of the rainbow in it. It was awful.
I also thought of a colored banner at the bottom with the text "The Complete first season. But if I stretch it all the way around, I will have to move up the Combadges and they will interfere with the Enterprise. So either the Enterpise or the Combadges would have to be smaller.
I changed the colors of the combadges for your perusal, but I don't think I like them. Notice the last two I did not change the color of the season number if you think it's better that way. As I said I am leaning toward the original.
Link Removed
Click Link Removed for bigger version.
BTW, thanks to Frank Anderson, who suffered through some of my earlier designs and offered his ideas, when I was in the early tweaking stages. We are now hopefully in the final tweaking stages!
- Ric

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ric:

You have outdone yourself again. Personally I would make both of the versions available. I like the ones with the different colored comm badges. For me this would help to visually pick out the season set.

So are all of these sets going to have 7 discs to them? Does anyone know how Paramount is going to be packing them with the subsequent seasons?

Also, are these being designed for the septuple Alpha case that you can get from inetdvd.com?

Parker

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
All but Season 2 will have 7 disks, season 2 will have 6 due to the strike shortened second season

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I actually prefer the color combadges.

Are you SURE you're not a professional graphic designer/artist?

You ought to be!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I don't have a problem with Paramount's packaging, and I really DO NOT like big fat keepcases, but that latest design has me seriously considering 'em anyway. Awesome work, Ric!
BTW, I like the colored combadges myself.
Now, you realize you're going to have to do this all over again next year for DS9, don't you?? :D

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, and for Voyager and Enterprise when they finally happen, I guess I'm commited...or should be!
If DVD Cover Art can't also host the color combadge versions, I will make them available to those that want them. Matt is already hosting my inserts as well (or at least will be when he's back up), and I don't want to take up too much of his space.
You may have noticed that the insert for season one is red. That was my attempt to at least try to tie the colors in with the discs and I will continue to do that as well.
It's a shame that this projsct can't be completed sooner, but I need to wait for each set to be released so I can tie in the big face shot, from their own inserts onto my covers. Also if you look closely, the front of season 7 now shows the Enterprise and a shuttle. That one will be reworked to put in the last head shot, whoever that ends up being!
And no, I am not a graphic artist... but I wouldn't mind being one!
-Ric

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Ric I wonder if there's a good pool of Promotional shots you could use for the characters. That would give a bit more flexibilty in the character shots. This was a nice aspect of your TOS set.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

I had been scouring the web for shots, and surprisingly, I wasn't able to find as many good quality publicity shots as I did for TOS. I did find several all cast shots though and will be looking for a way to incorporate them.

I have been a little bit on the fence about the front covers. I liked the grouping shots I did for the Original Series, but thought that keeping with the big face shots that Paramount uses for it's TNG inserts would tie it all in nicely. I still have the backs and my own episode inserts to do a little experimenting around with.

However since season two doesn't come out for a month, I guess I have a little time to decide which way to go. I did really like ending the first set with a nice shot of the Enterprise, but if I did that with this set, one of the regular cast members is gonna get bumped, unless I go to groupings. Yikes... My head is starting to spin!

Later, Ric

Wow. These are simply amazing. I don't know what your "day job" is Ric, but this work is good enough to take up full time! While I actually like the original Paramount boxes, your second design has swayed me to go ahead and pick up some keepcases from inetdvd.com. I know this has to be taking a ton of your time, so thanks a lot for doing these!

However, I have a question for those of you who've been printing these out. I have a color laserjet (HP 4550) and was wondering if anyone had suggestions of good paper to use for these that will work with a color laserjet. Thanks!

--Andrew

RichardL

Auditioning
Wow those covers are damn incredible. Ric you should hit Paramount up for a percentage of referred sales or something - I was only going to buy my favorite seasons, but I dunno now, I may have to buy em all especially with that Enterprise spanning the spines of the cases. :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Just so everyone will know I have set up, with Ric's permission, the DVD Cover Art for Star Trek TOS on our server. This should help facilitate down loading of this files. In addition I will be setting up the TNG cover art as it becomes available including the liner notes.
Go to http://www.hometheaterforum.com/imag...art/index.html
Parker

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Parker,
I just sent you the TNG Covers, both gold and red as well as the insert. I appreciate your giving up some bandwidth to host these. To answer your previos question, yes these fit the septuple Alpha cases available from Inetdvd. That is with the exception of the second season which will fit their 6 disc sextuple case. Fortunately the spines are the same width.
-Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks