What's new

ultimate progressive DVD player (1 Viewer)

Gareth

Stunt Coordinator
welcome to HTF product marketing! since there are so many threads on this topic, but debate current released boxes, i thought this might be fun for all.
the ultimate progressive DVD player if released today would have:
real 3-2 pulldown capability
DVD-A
SACD
CD text
DVD text
coax out
optical out
progressive scan
weigh over 20 lbs.
BLACK in colour
.....please add on. this list is by no means finishedi have to go to a meeting.
cheers,
Gareth

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Also, add:
zooming for 4x3 material to display on 16x9 hardware, that includes windowboxing 4x3 in 16x9 (wizard of oz) while preserving full 720 horizontal resolution of 4x3 window area, a "regular" zoom for 4x3 lbxed material to convert it to 16x9 (so far panny 91 has these)...
and...
a 1.66:1 zoom for 4x3 lbxed 1.66:1 titles that only paritally zooms and partially windowboxes.
The internal scaler would allow various custom output rates and resolutions. In addition to 480I/P 60 fps would be 540 progressive, 720 x 1280, 1920 x 1080 or 960 progressive as well. Rates of 50 hz and 72 hz would be possible (the latter avoiding 3-2 judder for projectors that can do 72). It would use the Sage chip for deinterlacing 480I video material. It would also allow any custom output resolution to match with digital projectors.
All this great scaling would be available to outboard analog video sources too...the DVD player would have composite, S, and component video input so you could scale your DSS and laserdisc (and VHS too).
The scaling algorithms would be software-upgradable.
Oh...it would also have SDI (digital-video) output and be able to play PAL discs...
...and all discs from all regions via an after-market mod.
-dave

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
It would also hold 5-7 disks and would also read MP3 Material
as well as CD-R and CD-RW in general (with a dedicated CD
Laser)
and it would cost $300.00
Ok now who's dreaming! :)
I forgot to add that "when" it read MP3's it would also
display the full I.D tags associated with the songs.
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]
[Edited last by Brett DiMichele on November 05, 2001 at 12:16 PM]

Gareth

Stunt Coordinator
hey guys, lets see if we can come up with a REALISTIC one! although i think the replies are great.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
and it would cost $300.00
In another year or two, that won't be dreaming! :)
Other niceties in our "ultimate" player:
  • No chroma bug
  • No combing
  • MPEG decoder which outputs progressive frames natively, instead of going through a deinterlacer
  • High-quality DACs, with PCM->DSD upconversion for Redbook (audio CDs)
  • CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, etc. compatibility
  • Fully MP3 compatible (any bitrate, any format, w/ID displays)
  • VCD and SVCD compatibility
  • Multiple-resolution/refresh rate scaler, for those with FPTV setups
  • Buffering for seamless layer changes/branching
  • Ability to override restrictions on DVDs such as unskippable trailers/FBI warnings, or change audio tracks/subtitles on the fly on discs that don't allow it
  • Multiple-disc preference memory, including scale/zoom/position adjustments--this way you can adjust titles with uneven black bars or uncentered framing so they're centered, and the player will remember these settings for each disc.
  • Firewire output (ok, now *I'm* dreaming
    wink.gif
    )
KJP
[Edited last by Kevin P on November 05, 2001 at 01:50 PM]

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
MPEG decoder which outputs progressive frames natively, instead of going through a deinterlacer
NO NO NO!!!
This is what the JVC player does now and it's BAD. Why? Because it relies on flags on the DVD player and many DVDs have bad flags (Titanic, for example).
You actually want a DVD player that looks at the fields and thinks about them...and makes the educated decision based on what the video information is doing. You'll get the same picture quality...it's the same bits of image being put back together...but you're doing it right more of the time rather than taking it on blind faith that the DVD flags are correct.
-dave
p.s. everything else you suggest is a go-ahead!
[Edited last by DaViD Boulet on November 05, 2001 at 04:35 PM]

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Wow, we all forgot about "Inverse-Telecine".
biggrin.gif

------------------
Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
[Edited last by Scott Simonian on November 05, 2001 at 05:29 PM]

Bill Bradstreet

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, saw Lansonic, but I don't see that it can display information on a TV. That's something I really want and can get in other sources. I do like the large (and flexible) storage capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks