What's new

"Ultimate" Pre/Pro up to $10K. Imagine... (1 Viewer)

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
...that you have up to $10,000 to spend on a pre/pro, primarily for HT use, and you are interested in getting the highest-quality sonic movie performance possible and would also like to have access to all the latest DSP formats (i.e. DD5.1, EX, DTS + matrix and discrete, DPLII, etc.). This piece would eventually control the sound in a dedicated HT environment set up with acoustic treatments, etc.
Upgradeability/futureproofing is important to you, and you're looking for a pre/pro from a company that is committed to supporting your product and has the ability to be easily upgraded as new sound formats become available.
You would also like this component to have analog inputs for DVD Audio/SACD.
While you're willing to spend the whole wad on a pre/pro if it is substantially better than others, you are also looking to determine if there are less expensive pre/pros that provide equivalent sonic quality/features. You don't want to compromise sound quality, however, just to save a few bucks.
Which pre/pros would you demo/evaluate?
------------------
Scott

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
The Lexicon MC-12b all the way!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

Brian Vaughan

Stunt Coordinator

Tom Fynan

Stunt Coordinator
I would check out the Proceed PAV/PDSD unit from Madrigal.
it's in the 10K range for the combo, it will do everything you ask, and it sounds fantastic. Proceed is very consumer friendly, and the unit is easily upgraded. I run mine with a Proceed DVD player (which is also the best sounding CD player I ever heard). An awesome system, definitely worth checking out.
Mark Levinson (Madrigal's flagship line of components) will be coming out with a similar unit soon, but the price will most likely be in the 40K range.

Mario_C

Stunt Coordinator
The Theta Casablanca II with extreme DAC's.
Here is a review. Link Removed
There are no ifs, ands, or buts here. The Theta Casablanca II is a world class processor. Although it is very expensive when fully loaded, you can get the basic system at a reasonable cost and add to it over time. It is totally upgradeable and therefore never out of date. It is definitely a reference product by which just about everything else can be compared. It's beautiful and built like a tank. It sings like an angel. There can be no higher recommendation.
[Edited last by Mario_C on October 16, 2001 at 12:44 PM]

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Lexicon MC12b all the way. It decodes virtually every format and does an excellent job doing it. Lexicon has done a great job future proofing it also. They have a very aggressive trade in policy also. Check out the review for the Lex in this months HT Magazine. I would love to pair this thing up with a Cinepro 3k6II amp!

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
So, we have:
Lexicon MC-12B
Tag AV192R
Proceed PAV/PDSD
Theta Casablanca II with extreme DAC's
Meridian 861
Any other "contendors" for the ultimate in sonic HT quality/features

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Lexicon MC-12B is $1,000 (list) more than Lex MC-12. Is the balanced version "worth it"? Are there situations where it would not be worth it (i.e. short wire run between controller and amps)?
------------------
Scott

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Dalton,
Do you have the Lex MC-12B? If so, I'd love to hear about your impressions in greater detail. Ever heard it paired with the Cinepro? That was a combination I've been mulling over for a little while now...(though I haven't heard it).
------------------
Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks