Ultimate multimedia speakers?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by KylePete, Jan 4, 2004.

1. KylePete

KylePete Stunt Coordinator

I've been looking to get a 5.1 speaker system for my PC, and I'm just wondering what is the best out there right now?

I've been looking at the Klipsch Ultra 5.1's, but there might be a lesser-known, better-sounding system.

I know that somebody else has posted a topic about this, but the price limit for me is a little more.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kyle

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I prefer a standard home theater-in-a-box for pc speakers. computers are commonly thought to need "computer" speakers; but actually a decent home theater setup for a computer will do just as good or, in my opinion, better.

I would say to take a look around your local best buy or similar store and check out their home theater setups and see if any of them come into line with what you want.

3. KylePete

Thanks, Rob. I've looked at some of the same HT-in-a-box solutions in the same price range as the Klipsch Ultra 5.1's, and none of them compare. It seems that multimedia speakers are better per dollar spent....which is as it should be.

Thanks again,
    Kyle

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Heck I use separates, for now I use 3 NHT SuperZeroes (NorthCreek mods), a pair of RS Pro-X77s for rears (they're in the process of being replaced by another pair of NHT SuperZeroes), and old BP1201 diy sub. Using the digital out to my Technics SH-AC500D for decoding, for amplification I'm currently using Audiosource amp3 (mains), amp1a (bridged, mains), adcom 535 (rears), and now AMC2100 (bridged, sub). Most of this stuff was relocated from my main theater room when I realised I watch more movies on my home computer than in my main room.

My advice is to use either good quality sats or monitors for your setup.

5. liana

liana Agent

i just pruchased the logitech Z-680's. My friend has the klip's and we both agree the logi's sound much much better.

i love them. expecially for call of duty, etc..

6. KylePete

Thanks, Robert and Liana.

Robert, I might have to look at using separates....I, too, watch most movies on my computer setup.

Liana, I was thinking about the Z-680's, too. I do think they sound a little better than the Klipsch's, but I've heard they have an abnormal amount of "hiss" coming out of the center channel. I could even hear it in a very busy Best Buy.

Thanks again,
    Kyle

7. liana

liana Agent

hmm, to be honest i have not noticed that.

my center is placed above my monitor, which sits elevated 1 foot in front of me, and about 18 inches above. i have yet to hear a hiss and i play my games LOUD [​IMG]

i do hear it if i place my ear next to it however.

8. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Back in the day, I had a set of Cambridge speakers matched up to a digital output from my SoundBlaster card. It kicked, incredible power and great sound, plus it was a full 5.1. I think I paid about 200 bucks for the speakers and 200 for the card, about 3-4 years ago.

9. KylePete

Thanks for the replies, Liana and Justin.

Kyle