Ultimate MTM center speaker placement: vertical, on the floor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Eckhardt, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

I always thought my mid-tweeter-mid center sounded boxy and unatural atop the television, and kept it off for anything mostly musical and some films when I didn't have to share my comfy couch.

I was somewhat unoccupied over the holidays, and played with placement a bit.

Before, I'd tried a few inches of spacing above the TV and a bit in front and found it slightly better but abandoned the setup when my cat toppled the unstable pile.

This time, horizontal, on a cinder block on the ground, a bit in front of the TV it was better but still a bit off.

Vertical, angled up towards the seats, 4" off the ground (at 19", that's all that would clear) it actually sounds good.

I think getting rid of the 34x47" baffle underneath it fixed most of the problem, and the controlled vertical dispersion eliminated what was left from floor bounce.

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

"Vertical, angled up towards the seats, 4" off the ground (at 19", that's all) it actually sounds good."

"I think getting rid of the 34x40+" baffle underneath it fixed most of the problem, and the controlled vertical dispersion eliminated what was left from floor bounce."

I wondered about this myself since our center speaker is of the MTM variety (actually, it is W(M/T)W, with the midrange and tweeter coaxially located in the center, and 7" woofers on the ends). I like the vertical placement below the TV, but I wonder if this limits off-center listening? I would imagine that might be more of a problem with an MTM design instead of the speaker I am using, which has center-of-speaker midrange and highs regardless of orientation.

Michael

3. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Hey guys, I too had a question of this sort as well. Only thing about vertical is that my center would block the tv I have 47" Panny HDTV. I wonder if it's vibration with the tv that gives this 'boxy' presentation?? ANyone with any more ideas? thanks!

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

It's more of the lobing issues with listening to a MTM in a horizontal orientation that gives it a non-natural sound.

5. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I have an MTM center channel...sounds very natural to me!