What's new

Ultimate HTPC (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Bill. If you shop around you can get a CRT front projector that KILLS RPTV in picture quality, and you don't really have to spend that much.
I also wanted to point out that although you can spend over $2000 for an HTPC, you DON'T have to. If you're willing to spend a day assembling one, you can put together an excellent HTPC for less than $500. :)
------------------

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Excuse me, but why do people keep saying the higher end Mitsubishi's have SVGA inputs when they do not. I looked on their web pages and the Platinum Plus series has a input for 640 x 480 @ 60. I have a WS-73907 (Diamond Series) and the Owners's guide says:
"VGA Input
This input will accomodate most computers capable of supporting a VGA monitor. The only compatible display resolution is 640 X 480. The sync rate is 60hz. SGVA and XVGA resolutions are not supported"
Either these are not considered higher end (Doh!) or I am missing something. Please explain. Thanxxx.
Can my set take advantage of a HTPC?
------------------
"Hand over the remote and nobody gets hurt !!"

Tomas_S

Agent
The new mits WD-65000 has SVGA inputs. This is the new RPTV with DLP technology. Too bad it costs 10K.
------------------
Tomas (t Link Removed' m Link Removed s)

John M Miller

Stunt Coordinator
The Pioneer Elite models 510 and up have an RGB input. If I'm not mistaken, a converter can be used to make this into a SVGA, right???
------------------
Fellini's Le Notti di Cabiria
Link Removed

Ernesto Santos

Stunt Coordinator
I have had a dedicated home theater for three years now and I started with an LCD projector and a standard Sony DVD player. Performance was minimally acceptable, but it was all I could afford.
I have since moved up to a CRT projector and a HTPC. I cannot begin to tell you what an improvement this has made. The image generated by the HTPC(as a scaler with progressive scan)/CRT combination is absolutely mind boggling.
Yes, there are issues you will need to resolve when trying to build an absolutely stable HTPC and you have to look far and wide for a good CRT deal. I waited three years to find a CRT at a great price (Barco 801 with less than 4500 hours for $1,000). Just remember that CRTs are being dumped by government facilities, colleges, and corporate training departments for DLP technology now. Some of these units are available for peanuts if you keep your eyes open and be ready to plunk down the cash when the opportunity presents itself. My projector came from a college and was hardly ever used. The guy who sold it to me found it at a flea market and bought it for $175.00!!! He knew I was looking for one and needed some cash for a trip to Vagas. It was a win-win.
My second piece of advice is to remember that you are building a HTPC, emphasis on the H - T! Don't try to make it a gaming machine, and don't start installing all kinds of crap on the HD. Most HTPC users maintain their machines as a DVD scaler/video processor, jukebox player for MP3, and a viewer for digital pics. That's it! If you want to play PC games on a CRT projection system you are asking for trouble. Too risky. High probability that you will burn a static image on the CRT guns.
Total investment for a HDTV grade system that is the closest thing you will ever get to a film projector system?
$1,650.00

AllenD

Second Unit
Howard,
Yes. Your 73907 will benefit emensely mated with a properly setup HTPC, for DVD/HDTV playback. I'm using one for my 65807 to watch dvds at 1920x1080i resolution. I wouldn't even consider using the VGA input. If I remember correctly, Mits suggest you can only use the VGA for PCs for short periods of time-15-20 mins. max. In other words, it's a waste of time and money having a VGA input on the Mits.
Here's my HTPC:
Antec KS780B case
ASUS CUSL2 MB
800Mhz PIII CPU
RADEON 32MB DDR AGP (Replaced ELSA GeForce2GTS)
Crucial PC133 256MB RAM
WD3077A 30GB Caviar HD
Toshiba SDM1402B black DVD ROM
Black TEAC floppy
Maudio AP2496 soundcard
USR V90 voice/fax/modem
To make it my dream HTPC would be to add DSL when available in my area, a HiPix DTV2000 (?) for HDTV recording, and add another 70GB hard drive to record some Hi Def material.
------------------
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature.

Maximil

Agent
RCA makes a 52" and 61" with 800x600 VGA inputs. MM2110 I think is one of the model#'s. I've seen the 52" one for $1900

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks