What's new

Ultimate Electronics Store? (1 Viewer)

andrew_walker

Auditioning
I just had an Ultimate Electronics move into my area and i was wondering if anyone had any comments on them as a home theater retailer? I dont have very many options, mainly just Best Buy and Ultimate, and im not very satisfied with Best Buy, so i was wondering what your guys' opinion on Ultimate is.

Russell Chase

Auditioning
Ultimate electronics is an old school electronics store. Slick sales people in suits on commission, higher prices, and better brands and more of them. I've noticed that more experienced sales people work there; some actually know a fair amount about the goods they sell. They also have good listening rooms.

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
To me, UE is like Best Buy meets a semi-sleazy high end store. You can walk in and get stuff off the shelf and leave if you want or you can get a salesman to help you if you want to demo certain stuff. They do put on a little pressure, but it's not bad. They do not seem to be as knowledgeable as "high-end" specialty stores, but they do carry some of the nicer equiptment.

They seem to be in the middle of Best Buy and high end stores.

RobTwo

Auditioning
I'd agree with Jeff in placing UE (and their sister stores SoundTrack) firmly in the middle between Best Buy and the better "high-end" specialty stores (who are a rapidly disappearing breed). Like the old days of audio many of their sales personnel are hobbyists and you can often find someone who not only knows what they're talking about but also shows some caring about actually satisfying your needs. Both of these traits I find to be a rarity in this age of stores filled primarily with clerks whose only training often appears to be how to enter a sale into their POS terminal.

Dave Workman, their president, is passionate about making his company the best consumer electronics retailer in the world. As someone who has called on hundreds of A/V retailers over the past 30+ years I'd have to give him a B+ for his efforts to date and realize that he's likely to raise that to an A by the end of the term.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
In Minnesota they're known as Audio King, which Ultimate bought a few years ago but kept the name, except that I was just in Rochester, MN and there's a big, new Ultimate store about to open.

Brian E

Screenwriter
If Ultimate is the same thing as Audio King then I'd say Jeff summed them up about perfectly.

Shana

Stunt Coordinator
They are slick. After doing all my online research on what accessories and such to buy and where I ended up blowing a bunch on Monster cables, powerbar, and overpriced DVD player.

Ended up returning it all once I realized how stupid that was, got my $920 back.

But they do have a nice selection of goods.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Actually, it depends on who you get. Over the past couple years, I've developed a good relationship with a particular sales guy. When I bought my videocam he was out taking care of a new baby, and I insisted the sale be credited to him. He sent me a really nice card shortly thereafter thanking me. (BTW, the other salesman didn't have to do any work, cause I knew exactly what I wanted).

Sure the prices are higher than the online stores, but you do get some value added services, and don't have to through being lied to by blueshirts.

Jordan (my sales guy) has always been forthright with me.

Of course, YMMV

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks