Ultimate Electronics Chain

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by wally, Nov 16, 2001.

1. wally

wally Second Unit

I know this might belong in the vendor area, but that doesn't get much traffic.
    We have a new store opening here in the St. Louis area today, Ultimate Electronics. The web site says they feature products from Adcom, Definitive Technology, Denon, Sanus, Klipsch, Krell, Martin Logan etc... Several "Higher End" badges.
    Anyone have experience with this chain?
    Thanks,
    wally

2. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I like Ultimate Electronics in Las Vegas. I've spent, sorry to say, several thousand dollars there. They do sell some nice stuff. The usually only sell 'mid to higher' level stuff there. It's a giant leap above the Best Buy type stores.
    I've bought my TV, my Klipsch and Definitive Tech. speakers there. Oh, and my DVD player, and my Sennheiser Headphones. They sell stuff like Sunfire subs, alot of Yamaha and Denon stuff, Carver Amps & Pre-Amps. They are big on flat screen plasma TV's. It really is a nice store. Most of the Sony stuff is ES.
    The salesmen there are complete and total morons, just like anywhere else. They also work on commission so you are constantly being bothered. "Would you like some water? Can I help you? Do you want the extended service plan?"
    They aren't exactly cheap since they are a retail store but they have some good sales now and then.

3. Brian Crowe

Brian Crowe Stunt Coordinator

I like to window shop there a lot. I can look at expensive setups without feeling like some dude in a tie is looking down his nose at me because I don't drive a Porsche. There are several stores here in Phoenix that feature Krell/Martin Logan, and Krell/Def Tech setups in their viewing rooms. Very sweet. Plus, they carry everything from Sony and Technics (my current price range) up to Denon, Adcom, and Sunfire.
    They also put the Bose speaks in the same room as Boston Accoustics and Klipsh so you can do side by side comparisons, but don't tell Dr Bose, shhhhhh [​IMG]
    A LOT better than CC or BB for equip in my opinion.
    ~Crowe~

4. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    It is a nice step up from CC and defenitely BB. It has wide selection of equipment and a nice layout to test the equipment.
    I think you'll be pleased with them.
    Note that you can usually negotiate (to some degree) on many of the prices posted. You just need to act like you know what you're talking about and just ask for a better price (usually it ends up being about 10% off the posted price)
    p.s. Beware the hard sell on Monster Cables, they get a nice bonus for cross selling you into the stuff.
    [​IMG]
    Alfer
    ------------------
    Check out my new Home Theater site and my NEW HT 6.1 Pic's at The Enormodome
    Join my new Yahoo "Club Enormodome" for LIVE HT and DVD chats at: Club Enormodome

5. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

They have a nice mix from low end to high end stuff and the salespeople, in general, are far more knowledgable than often found at other chain stores.

6. Allan F

Allan F Agent

I worked for them at one time in Colorado. It's called Soundtrack in Colorado and Ultimate outside the state. (same company) As a general rule the salespeople are not as knowledgable as some of the people you would find browsing this forum but you can find some pretty good ones. They do go through more training than employees of say CC or BB so I guess it's a step up.
    The sales staff is tracked in terms of what percentage of accessories they sell (monster cable) versus regular product so there is some pretty heavy motivation to encourage the purchase of accessories. These also have the most markup.
    They do have very good sales from time to time and good customer service policies so it's really not a bad place to purchase. I would recommend you pick up cables elsewhere though. They carry monster simply because of the benefits associated with "branding" and they are rather overpriced IMO.
    Allan

7. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

I work for them and as far as a retail store goes they are one of the better ones, obviuously not as cheap as an online store, but try getting an online store to come help you hook your equipment up whereas many salespeople help customers on their own time.

8. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

I couldn't get Sound Track to negociate whatsoever on a reciever price. I told them if they didn't budge I was going to buy online, but they weren't interested.

9. RichardM

RichardM Auditioning

Hi Wally!

I also checked out the new stores. I bought a Denon 1802 last weekend at HiFiFoFum's annual sale for $395. Normally was $460. Ultimate's marked price on the shelf was $499! FULL MSRP! They wanted $399 for the 1602. I did walk away with a bottle of water though. I guess that would have made me feel better for spending an extra bill. I realize they are excited about opening and had the staff of the two yet unopened stores on hand, but I didn't get more than 50ft through the store without having 10 people ask me if I need help. (I am beyond help, FWIW) A very impressive store for sure and a chance to see many brands side by side, but definately shop around before buying. Did find a few morons that could only quote the specs printed on the shelf tags. Talked to one guy that was hired away from HiFi that knew his stuff.

10. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Wally, when you saw the msrp did you ask for a better price? I know I for one won't lower it unless someone asks. I don'y know if you are aware but most stores will ptricematch most stuff, online matches are on a case by case basis. Definetly talk with a salesman from there before buying online, at least you have someone to stand behind the product.

11. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

As far as price goes, they will guarantee the best price in your local area for up to 60 days after your purchase. If you have a legitimate lower price, just tell them and they'll do it.

Also, if you want protection beyond the manufacturers warranty, they are one of the few retailers that will give you half back as an in store credit if you purchase a 5 year warranty and don't need any service on the product.

DJ

12. wally

wally Second Unit

Sounds like a trip is in order when I get the time. I was mostly looking for a place to listen side by side.

Thanks everyone!