What's new

Directors ULTIMATE COMEDY TOURNAMENT! (1 Viewer)

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I have no doubt that when the inevitable happens, he'll go crying back to Daddy's checkbook.
Maybe, maybe not. That outcome wouldn't at all subvert the meaning of the film. It's not about an anti-establishment hero. It's about a youth who is aware that he doesn't want the life of his parents, but he also doesn't know what the hell he DOES want. It's about being aimless and uncertain.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Like I said in my post Chuck, I understand what many people see in the film, but I don't feel those things when I watch it. I know it's about being aimless and uncertain, my point is it's a lot easier to be aimless and uncertain when you're upper class. Thus it doesn't resonate with me like SNF, or for the foreign film posse - Katzelmacher, Vagabond, or the films of Tsai Ming-Liang and Fruit Chan.

Or again look at George Bailey, he didn't want the life of his father either but was loving and unselfish and sacrificed his own dreams for that of his father. His choice nearly eats him alive, but I will always respect and sympathize with George, in a way that I don't think I'll ever do with Benjamin. Maybe I'd feel differently if I had first seen The Graduate at 18 or 20 instead of 27 but I can't do anything about that.

Now Harold otoh, there's a rich kid with an ethos I can embrace. :emoji_thumbsup:

And George, that's sort of the point except you missed the ending. Tony is shallow and his friends are even moreso but by the end of the film, Tony has come to understand that there are opportunities beyond his tiny comfort zone. He becomes more self-aware about his own shortcomings and realizes he needs to become more educated about the world outside of his burrough. His life doesn't have to exactly like those around them, hope exists in the world all you have to do is grasp it and work for it. And also, something you should embrace about the film given your strong feelings about the subject, Tony comes to understand for the first time in his life what racism is and why it is wrong.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I can't help but feel that you've missed the point. Ben Braddock is not meant to be a working class hero, a George Bailey. You're not asked to respect him. You're not supposed to "embrace his ethos". He's not a role model.

Which is not to say he's a bad guy. He just doesn't know what to do with himself. Who does? Maybe his upper class position allows him more leisure time to ponder his situation, but in the end it doesn't give him any advantage. Who hasn't felt that kind of existential ennui, that "is this all there is?" feeling... regardless of their economic situation?

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I don't really have anything to say of importance here. I just wanted to give kudos to Brook and Chuck and George and all that have gotten such a wonderful discussion going here. I've not seen either Saturday Night or Graduate, but I suddenly want to.

Abstain on the tourney part. I don't care for either Ford or Bandit, and haven't seen Eve.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Locker Room:

Mean Gene: Fans there's still time to vote on the current bouts, but I'm standing here with the one and only Austin Powers, as we now know that Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery will compete shortly. Austin, are you excited?

Austin: I feel smashing, baby, and we're gonna ride my mojo all the way to The Finals!

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
The Adventures Of Ford Fairlane scores 1 vote to make Your Winner with 7 votes,

Smokey And The Bandit!!!

To the delight of many, The Diceman is chewed up and spit out by Bandit and Snowman...

Happy Gilmore scores 2 votes to make Your Winner with 4 votes,

The Lady Eve!!!!

The Adam Sandler Golf Comedy is GONE as Sturges ups his record to 2-0.

Bracket 5 Match 9

"Walter, do you hear me old man? That piece of scum-barking rat of yours has just taken his last dump on my lawn. I find one more - just one - and I'm going to catch him and staple his ass shut!"

The Burbs Directed by Joe Dante

vs.

"Maybe it'll stop you trying to be so desperate about making more money than you can ever use? You can't take it with you, Mr. Kirby. So what good is it? As near as I can see, the only thing you can take with you is the love of your friends."

You Can't Take It With You Directed by Frank Capra

Ric's Pick: abstain (no You)

Bracket 5 Match 10

-"Shall we shag now, or shall we shag later? How do you like to do it? Do you like to wash up first? You know, top and tails...whores bath? Personally before I'm on the job, I like to give my undercarriage a bit of a how's your father!"

-"What?"

-"I've been frozen for 30 years. I've got to see if my bits and pieces are still working!"

Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery Directed by Jay Roach

vs.

"We've decided to stay."

(splat!)

Funny Farm Directed by George Roy Hill

Ric's Pick: Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I actually consider these 2 close. I'm not necessarily voting for the better film (especially in the first match-up), but the ones I find funnier.

The Burbs

Funny Farm

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Fuck, I love both of these!!

The 'burbs, by a nose

No, I've never seen that. I've never seen anyone drive their garbage out to the curb and bang the hell out of it with a stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks