What's new

Ultimate Bass!! (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
doh!

svs eat your heart out!

seriously, i think the bass would be really slow. how long does it take the wave from the woofers to reach the listener? it has to flow via complicated air ducts...

Mike Lazalier

Auditioning
At 70 deg F the speed of sound is about 1100 feet per second through standard air (even faster through materials of higher density than air such as iron (17000 ft/s) and wood ((oak) 5000 ft/s). I am of the opinion that one would notice the delay to be very little if you notice it at all.
Take the case of having your center speaker on top of your television. With an arbitrary viewing distance of 12 feet sound takes about 1/100th of a second to reach your ears, but the picture only takes 1.28 x 10^-8 seconds or .00000000128 seconds to reach your eyes. So the sound is always lagging the action on screen, that is, if the sound from the speaker and light from the television were produced at exactly the same time (unlikely). I doubt that anyone has equipment that can do this.
Yes, there will be delay, but will you notice? Probably not.

Mike

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Yeah, i doubt it would take too long.
I bet its an awesome sound and very non directional.
I do think its over kill tho, but wow, imagine :)

Kerry Hackney

Stunt Coordinator
Just remember this pic the next time someone says "hey, I got these neat plans for a "horn loaded" sub. True horn subs are very, very big. There is a plan on the net for a so called horn sub called the "Wicked One" that can double as a coffee table. You have to wonder how that can be.

I have a couple of emails from this gentleman in Italy and of course he reports that the sound capabilities of this room are truely astounding. Even at low volume I'll bet the effect of that much air moving is very close to the original event. I would love to hear it.

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
The Wicked one is too small to be an effective horn, and is in fact more a bandpass box than a horn.
For a REAL bass horn check out this thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=70277
IF the horn is long enough and has a proper expansion rate, you can get away with a smaller than ideal mouth at the expense of response ripple. Bruce Edgar has done this well in a few horn subs he sells designs for, which many have commended for having great sound quality.
It is indeed true that a horn sub does have a delay equal to the path length of the horn. The main speakers should be appropriately delayed with regards to their relative placement. We have found it to be an audible difference which isn't really offensive when not aligned, but the perception is that something is somewhat "off."
Regards,

Darrin_R

Stunt Coordinator
This is not an original idea.
I read where someone did this back in the 40's trying to reproduce the pipe organ. Since they didnt have high powered amps, this was the only way to have a true sub. The article also said it eventually cause structural damage:D

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I hope they choose room size according to the best most easily EQ able response. It would suck to do all that work and have monster peaks and nulls that are un-EQ able!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks