Ulcers

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chad Ferguson, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Right now I am 22 years old and I have 3 ulcers. Ever since I found out about this I have cut out all caffinee, booze, snack food, fast food, late night eating, etc. Although, I'm pretty young here so I feel like my life is boring and horribly limited right now!!!
    Would anyone be able to tell me some facts right now about them? Can they be cured? How long would it take to heal/cure them? Any help, advice or personal experiences would be amazing.
    Thank you

2. ken b woodard

breath breath deep and long and quit worrying no more panic attacks things always work out dont drink milk or do dairy products.. once in a while eat something spicy {with ceyenne powder in it it will burn out anything rotting in your ulcer and force your stomach to create a protective lining on it sigh alot breathing deep will let some of your tension go help you to relax drink a ton of water you can get the ceyenne powder in gel capsules and it might hurt for a sec but in the long run it will feel much better.....

3. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Get a new doctor. There is a lot of evidence that ulcers are caused by bacterial infection and not stress as was previously believed. Antibiotics may provide you with a lot of relief.

4. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Julie's right. The cause of peptic ulcers is usually H. pylori .

Some ulcers can be caused by extended use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories, such as ibuprofen. That's how I got mine.

5. ken b woodard

and then theres the few us that ulcers from stress i have two of my own ... i eat extremely well dont take prescription drugs have three children and a crazy ex i got my ulcers from stress if you have bacteria in your stomach you got some other issues and im thinkin you already went to a docter thats how you found out you had them...i got two years in medical shool though that might not mean a thing...although ib-profen and asprin are a main cause for ulcers...

6. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

A lot of people have H. pylori in their digestive system. It's certainly something to investigate.

7. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I had ulcers many years ago. They are no dang fun. For a long time I drink a lot of milk (the traditional cure) or downed a lot of Tums and similar medicines to relieve the gnawing. While milk seems to be a quick cure, it actually makes things worse (because of the protein). Eventually, I got wise and saw a doctor who prescribed Tagamet. This worked wonders! (Zantac is available also). Within a month I was off Tagamet and, seemingly, cured. But, as the doctor said, it takes a long time to be wholly cured of ulcers. For whatever reason, every spring and fall I had a bout with them. This went on for many years, but eventually these bouts went away also. I have had no problems for at least a dozen years now.

8. Craig

Craig Second Unit

My doctor prescribed a PrevPak, a boxed package of pills. You take a couple of different antibiotic pills twice daily to deal with the bacteria, along with Prevacid to help heal the ulcer, over a 14 day period. The pills come packaged together with one set labeled AM for your morning dose and the other labeled PM.

Cutting out spicy foods, alcohol, etc. may help, but if you've got the h.pylori bacteria present and have existing ulcers, you'll need to go through the antibiotic treatment or else you're likely to continue to have problems.

9. ken b woodard

oh yes i totally agree with you julie...no arguments i was just mentioning what i knew about mine. a doctor is always the way to go......

10. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

what Julie K said

11. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    H. pylori was suspected for many years, but after giving test patients antibiotics and having little curative effect the doctors gave up on antibiotics. Recently they found that you have to give a massive dose of the antibiotics or the H. pylori won't go away.

In my own case, I had symptoms of ulcers for years. I contracted pneumonia in 1991, and the doctors gave me massive dosages of oral antibiotics (1,000 mg Erythromycin twice daily [​IMG] ). Not only did my pneumonia go away, so did my symptoms of ulcers. To this day they have never re-occurred.

12. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

So protein is a bad one for ulcers then? Right now I'm taking a Whey Protein and L-Glutamine. Also, my doctor did do a blood test and the results came back negative for the bacterial disease. Will my stomach ever be back to normal?
    Thanks for the replies