What's new

UK to get 13 Hammer Sony releases! (1 Viewer)

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
Following a deal between Sony USA and DD Home Entertainment Uk Ltd 13 Hammer Films are to get their first release ever on DVD in the UK later this year.Titles include: Terror of the Tongs, Stranglers of Bombay, The Gorgon, Camp on Blood Island, Creatures the world forgot, Never take sweets from a Stranger, Cash on Demand,Maniac,The Damned, Watch it Sailor, etc.

Subject to availability of good source materials the UK should start seeing these titles appearing this autumn. Regrettably for US collectors unless you have multi region players these releases are for the UK market only.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960, Terence Fisher) will finally see its first-ever widescreen (2.35:1) presentation since its original release. It's a vastly underrated adaptation of Stevenson's immortal parable.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

That's no problem for anybody.

Just buy the Region 2 DVD's at amazon.co.UK like you normally would.

Multi-region DVD players start at $40 on amazon.com . That's cheaper than the average Warner Brother's box-set. Here's a good one that works just fine:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...5E4RJ&v=glance

What could be easier?

No reason to wait another year or two or never for those Hammer titles to be released on Region 1.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
I can add that as we have a trade account with DD Home Entertainment the first of these releases will start to appear from September this year. The Gorgon will be one of the first to appear subject to source materials and clearances etc.
US collectors will also be interested to hear there will be a region 2 special 2 Disc collectors edition of Night of the Demon with abundant extras. This is slated for July this year.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DVD Times on those R2 releases - DDHE to bring you Sony classics later this year :

DDHE Ltd have announced their acquisition of DVD rights to a substantial library of Sony Pictures Home Entertainment film and television classics, many of which have not been released before on DVD anywhere in the world.

The list of titles include collector’s films such as Bunny Lake is Missing, Albert Finney’s Gumshoe, A Day in the Death of Joe Egg, Kenneth More’s Father Brown, The Admirable Crichton and Jack Hawkins’ Gideon’s Day. While the bulk of the new DVD releases will concentrate on the 1960s and 1970s, DDHE will also be raiding the Sony vaults to uncover no less than six previously unavailable George Formby films.

For collectors of British studio Hammer’s titles there’s the first DVD release of The Gorgon, plus Camp on Blood Island, The Damned, Terror of the Tongs, The Stranglers of Bombay, Taste of Fear, Creatures the World Forgot, Never Take Sweets from a Stranger, The Sword of Sherwood Forest, Maniac, Cash on Demand, Don’t Panic Chaps and Watch it Sailor.

Horror fans might also be pleased to hear about the long-awaited DVD release of Night of the Demon. Plans are unconfirmed as yet, but this release may well include the American cut of the film as well as the original British release and a number of specially commissioned features. As with many DDHE collector’s releases, fans can expect a detailed behind-the-scenes booklet by film and TV historian Marcus Hearn. Japanese monster movie Mothra will also be a forthcoming guilty treat for the genre aficionados.

Classic American films due for release included an eclectic mix featuring everything from Zero Mostel and Woody Allen’s The Front to Richard Widmark's The Long Ships and 1970s pop-rock sensation Godspell. All three of Dean Martin’s cult Matt Helm spy movies are also scheduled for release.

DDHE’s deal with Sony also extends to television series and mini-series, with Casey Jones, Roger Moore’s Ivanhoe, The Last Days of Pompeii and SF series Fantastic Journey and Dark Skies are all included in the package.

All the titles above are scheduled for release between August 2007 and April 2008, with specific dates and more detailed information on features to be announced closer to each individual release.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Shouldn't these announcements be posted in the Regional DVD section?

Sorry if I seem cranky but lately every time I check out a thread with something that piques my interest my hopes are dashed when I learn it's a Region 2 release saddled with PAL speedup.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit

We feel the same way when r1 gets an exclusive release and is therefore saddled with low resolution Never The Same Color-twice. ;-)

I don't think I'd let a 4% difference keep me from buying some great films.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Sometimes we think the information about releases in other region can be interesting to R1 citizens (e.g. when it spells a possible upcoming R1 release).

And PAL speedup has been thoroughly discussed (Jim, it depends on the way your modified player will translate it to NTSC whether or not you will get a speed-up).

Anyway, as John suggested, I will move this thread to the Regional Forum now....

Cees

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Columbia / DDHE news just gets better and better - the BBFC has just certified the Budd Boetticher / Randolph Scott western Decision at Sundown for DD Home Entertainment. Any chance of a box set DD?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Stephen,

Unfortunately no.
I'm hardly familiar with the US market and as you'll understand, ours are modified to play NTSC flawlessly (without change of the total duration of the movie!).

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks