What's new

UK Shows I would love to see on DVD (1 Viewer)

LCD22

Screenwriter

Thank you for this. I didn't think of Acorn. It would be great to finally get some more of Jamie Oliver's shows on the R1 market. I have recently e-mailed about a Canadian series (they've already released several and I got an immediate and encouraging response, provided of course they're able to get the rights to it).

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I don't know how to break this to you, folks, but nearly all of the series you mention were either flops or attracted very little lasting interest in the UK and accordingly there probably isn't a market for them, even in R2.

Trivia - a curious difference between the UK and the USA is that over here in the UK, even if a programme gets low ratings, all the episodes that have been made are likely to be broadcast. Often they're broadcast in their original time slots (i.e. not pushed into the late night/early morning slots).

StevePA

Stunt Coordinator
Gerry Anderson's New Captain Scarlet-seems like such a small thing to ask...:rolleyes

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

That used to be the case here up until 1974. Prior to that, almost every show would air all of it's complete episodes after the cancellation was announced. 1974 was the first time that networks started to massacre shows and pull them off right away. Prior to that, the only shows I can think of that had unaired episodes were Ugliest Girl in Town, The Tammy Grimes Show and the famous one episode series, Turn On.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Networks still (quite often) aired full runs way past 1974, though I will admit, they often buried them in sacrificial "summer rerun" timeslots (like Man From Atlantis), although show that really, really stunk (like Beyond Westworld) still ended up with unaired episodes.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
just found out that two of my shows The Ghost Squad (2005) and Tripping Over (2006) are available on R4 on ezydvd.com.au

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

I'm actually surprised that never turned up on American Television - Network or Cable!

I loved the original series and think it's the best of the "Supermarionation" shows and should have been done live-action!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
There are a number I'd like, but on the top of the list is:

The Rise & Fall of Reginald Perrin
Executive Stress

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
The one that I'd love to get - but I'm afraid that my memories are far fonder of the show than they would be now - but I'd love to get On The Buses. KVOS ran a whole bunch of british shows every saturday night back in the 80s before Doctor Who, Benny Hill, Dave Allan At Large, Doctor in the House and so on - and the only show I've not seen again from that time was On The Buses.

Problem is - like how Benny Hill was great as a kid, but not so good as an adult - I'm afraid that I'll hate the show now.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
If Capt. Scarlet's the best, why should it have been done as live-action? I love all those Anderson puppet shows, btw.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
Would like to see Kerching (2003) on DVD as well as Baddiel's Syndrome (2001)

Real Name
Tom

These two shows will, unfortunately, not be released in the foreseable future to the mass amount of music clearance needed :frowning:

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing

That's a shame. The one show I really want to start seeing released is Holby City and more Casualty, oh and more of The Bill too

PattyFraser

Second Unit
I'm still looking for decent full sets of Poldark and The Onedin Line.

I'd also like them to release the rest of "Nanny". Only series one has been released so far.

"Wessex Tales", and the rest of "Tales of the Unexpected". I could go on and on.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

For Tales, you might be better off going with the UK sets. From what I understand, the Acorn sets didn't include all the episodes (I'm thinking the "American" episodes were left out?) and it seems to have been ages since Acorn put out their last set. In R2, you can at least get all of them and get them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks