UK Residents - Which Company For R1 DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Semple, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Richard Semple

Richard Semple Auditioning

Hey everyone who reads this.
    I am becoming slightly narked off with Play, my usual R1 suppliers, and how likely one is to get caught for customs charges on their box set shipments particularly, so I was wondering: whom do you recommend? Besides Play, I have used MovieTyme quite a bit, but I'm really open to all suggestions. I buy a lot of R1 DVDs and avoiding UK customs charges is obviously extremely important!
    Particularly hoping Dan Brecher will chime in!
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I've used Future Entertainment a lot this year, no problems with them so far, ordered 'Lord of the Rings EE' region 1 from them on a thursday night, it arrived saturday morning, I'm impressed, and the prices are very reasonable.
    I also use Play.com, but haven't ordered any box sets from them so far.
    The reason I use those two dvd companies is speed, orders rarely take more than 7 days to arrive.

For a huge range of dvd titles try DVD Pacific, a US company, you have to pay postage, £4, but the prices can be extremely low, £3-£4, and they have hundreds of documentaries on DVD too.

3. andrew markworthy

I've got to say that I've never once had problems with Play, including box sets (and no, I don't have shares in the company!).

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I've never had customs problems with Future Ent, in fact I have found them (for the most part) speedy in getting items out to me and they were even happy to replace my E.T Gift Set when my first copy had a scratch on disc 2 rendering chapter 9 unwatchable.
    Future, like Play, use Canadian sources for their R1 stock so if bilingual covers are a problem for you, you may only want to use them for titles you know are free of Frenched up cover art (you are always safe with Fox, Warner & Sony whilst it can differ greatly with the likes of Universal, New Line and Disney. Nine times out of ten, you see Paramount do them now)...
    I use Disc Emporium (http://www.discemporium.com) now and again if I want a straight American version of a DVD free of any cover art alteration worries.
    I think you could see them as Movietyme's prime rivals in a way. Prices are fairly high £21 shipped average), but the service is first class if you want something early and within four days. Sadly they offer no confirmation to say when your order has shipped. A quick e-mail to them usualy see's a reply within thirty minutes informing you of your order status.
    Although Canadian again, a terrific choice is DV Depot (http://www.dv-depot.com) who are actually based in Canada. They actually pride themselves on their providing for international customers.
    Customer service is second to none and they offer incredibly cheap DHL shipping which they set up to almost always get around customs (it's rare to hear of anyone getting hit). You will notice that in their entries for every title they have that they actualy state if the disc has bilingual cover art or not. Wonderful service, with fast and reliable shipping. There's little more you could want.
    Amazon US (and I should think Amazon Canada) is also reliable, but I'd only use them on a single disc order if I was wanting to be sure I'd avoid customs. Bigger releases tend to get hit as Amazon have to print the price of the item on the front of the box.
    All the best,
    Dan

5. Paul Boyle

Paul Boyle Stunt Coordinator

Richard - Hows VW ? I live up the A30 in Camberley ...
    A few R1 sites for you which I use regularly ...
    www.absound.ca (based in Canada obviously ?)
    www.dvdsoon.com (also in Canada)
    www.cdwow.com (UK based but sourced in Hong Kong)
    dvdsoon can be amazingly cheap (my TT 4 disc was £17 incld delivery! Pre order as early as possible but bim they charge on order and not dispatch - cdwow are the same whereas absound charge on dispatch)
    HTH - Paul [​IMG]

6. stephen^wilson

stephen^wilson Stunt Coordinator

I use a company called dvdslimited,formely laservisual software.I've never had any problems with them.If they have the discs you're looking for in stock you get them delivered in 1 or 2 days,if the have to order it,then usually within a week.

7. Richard Semple

Richard Semple Auditioning

Thanks for the tips everyone - very much appreciated. You're all great.
    Paul, Virginia Water is quite lovely, thanks for asking! You should go to the lake sometime - man-made, but magnificent.
    [​IMG]